What's new

Official Utah/Minnesota/Philadelphia Pick Watch

The point will be how they can improve as a team next year. For Minny fan, this year is to improve and learn how to play with KAT and Rudy. They believe they can be better with Mike. Russell make they win some games with shooting but also make them lose a lot with stupid decisions and mistakes last year. Last year they blow a lot of leads in the PO against Memphis, they believe with a good playmaker , it can change. Not sure at all they right. Will take times to see if a combo ANT-Rudy.-KAT can be great. On paper it looks possible but chemistry is not easy things to get. We have seen it with Don-Rudy- Bogey-Mike and some others good players who never manage to do it.

Tanking or NOT - I do not know what they think- they can't say we are tanking.
BUT
Danny's trades besides of Gobert and Mitchell where teams were very hot for them are so poor.
Let's sum it up.
B.Bogdanovic, M.Conley, Vando, M.Beasley, NAW, 2nd pick - this is a ton of assets FOR Westrbrook (sorry) C.Olynyk (meh, no future move) Saben(gone) Juan T.Anderson, Damian Jones 1st round 2027 LAL (1-4 protect ) potential 2nd rounder. - very big risk.
The Bogdanovic trade was definitely weird but it looks as though he may not have had that much trade value after all, the Pistons weren't able to move him at the ASB.

I also think people vastly overrated Conley/Vando/Beasley as assets and vastly underrate the value of FRPs, especially unprotected picks. Danny has everyone jaded because of how much value he got back for Don / Rudy but getting unprotected FRPs is difficult to do.

I do think DA do the best to make sure we are in the lottery this year but not too bad to avoid years of mediocrity. Not much other choice anyway. Going into the draft is always risky as you can pick the wrong guys and loose years but on the other side, Jazz is a small market and even with overpaying FA, i'm not sure we can get what we really need. I would have probably done the same if i was at DA position. Except that i would have probably try one more year with Rudy-Don and do it in 2023.

I do think DA do the best to make sure we are in the lottery this year but not too bad to avoid years of mediocrity. Not much other choice anyway. Going into the draft is always risky as you can pick the wrong guys and loose years but on the other side, Jazz is a small market and even with overpaying FA, i'm not sure we can get what we really need. I would have probably done the same if i was at DA position. Except that i would have probably try one more year with Rudy-Don and do it in 2023.
You were never going to get the Rudy/Don trades this off-season. It was now or never when he made those deals. I would’ve loved to see Don and Lauri play together, but that would have required the Jazz making a deal with the Bulls instead of running it back last offseason.

Considering what kind of return they got for Jingles and Bogey, it would’ve made sense to try to do that deal and build around our two young stars.

If the Jazz make the play-in it is because THT popped big time. That is probably worth a couple places in the draft order.

Teams trading 1st rounders were scarce at this deadline
You were never going to get the Rudy/Don trades this off-season. It was now or never when he made those deals. I would’ve loved to see Don and Lauri play together, but that would have required the Jazz making a deal with the Bulls instead of running it back last offseason.

Considering what kind of return they got for Jingles and Bogey, it would’ve made sense to try to do that deal and build around our two young stars.
Teams trading first rounders were scarce at this deadline. If we had have hung onto Rudy another year, I don't believe we would have gained the haul Minnesota sent us. So yes, I believe your first paragraph comments on Rudy/Don trades make sense. I'm not sure what you mean about the Jingles/Bogey trades.

Teams trading 1st rounders were scarce at this deadline

Teams trading first rounders were scarce at this deadline. If we had have hung onto Rudy another year, I don't believe we would have gained the haul Minnesota sent us. So yes, I believe your first paragraph comments on Rudy/Don trades make sense. I'm not sure what you mean about the Jingles/Bogey trades.
My comment was about upgrading to Lauri in a sign and trade last year when he was a RFA - it likely would’ve cost us Jingles or Bogey, but it would’ve been worth the risk to make it work. Especially if we could’ve included Favors for salary purposes and the pick we gave up to get rid of him.

Would’ve loved to see Don and Lauri play together, but it would’ve had to happen a year earlier to make it work.

My comment was about upgrading to Lauri in a sign and trade last year when he was a RFA - it likely would’ve cost us Jingles or Bogey, but it would’ve been worth the risk to make it work. Especially if we could’ve included Favors for salary purposes and the pick we gave up to get rid of him.

Would’ve loved to see Don and Lauri play together, but it would’ve had to happen a year earlier to make it work.
All the Bulls got for him was a lottery protected 1st, future 2nd, and Derrick Jones jr.

Would've been dope to see Conley - Donovan - Bojan - Lauri - Rudy

See how it plays out but I would trade this pick for a pick in 2024 if it falls anywhere after pick 25. Unless someone slides big time. I doubt Danny wants 3 rookies in training camp

Quinn would have played Lauri exactly like Cleveland did. I'm fine with where we are now with Hardy.
I think Lauri was destined to be #3 guy if he had always end up playing with established guys. He is humble and does what the coach tells him to do. Hardy said a week ago, that Lauri has not once asked him to run anything for him or give him the ball more.

In my opinion Lauri is a perfect #2 to a dominant superstar level guard. Any big name thinking of coming here knows he has a great scorer next to him..... and he gets the ball pretty much for himself. That should be attractive tbh.

Only way I see him #1 right now is if the other guy is a sublime pass first playmaker and they form a 1a-1b duo like Stockton and Malone. I think personality, mentality and playstyle all fits to that mold... but not the ball-dominant #1 mold. I'm sure Lauri will develop that side of his game but will never turn into one.

I think Lauri was destined to be #3 guy if he had always end up playing with established guys. He is humble and does what the coach tells him to do. Hardy said a week ago, that Lauri has not once asked him to run anything for him or give him the ball more.

In my opinion Lauri is a perfect #2 to a dominant superstar level guard. Any big name thinking of coming here knows he has a great scorer next to him..... and he gets the ball pretty much for himself. That should be attractive tbh.

Only way I see him #1 right now is if the other guy is a sublime pass first playmaker and they form a 1a-1b duo like Stockton and Malone. I think personality, mentality and playstyle all fits to that mold... but not the ball-dominant #1 mold. I'm sure Lauri will develop that side of his game but will never turn into one.

They got the right guys with Mike if they wanted to go through Lauri number 1. Great passer, not big EGO..... but too old. I do think they will try to get a number one and paired him with Lauri. .

100% agree with this, but I don't think the Option 1 or 1a needs to be a guard necessarily.

I watch Minny strugling against Charlotte. They really play bad. I start to think i may be totally wrong and that this team never make it. Bad organization, bad rotations, coaching really sucking..... not sure KAT can save them.

They are really bad. Poor system, poor rotation. Rudy did his job and Mike look bored may times. This is whats happen when you think you have a superstar ( Ant) but you don't . Ant is a good player ( As is Don) but will never carry a team. If KAT don't save them, they may end up in the lottery.