What's new

Official Utah Utes Football 2012 Thread

This debate is getting bogged down in semantics. The bottom line is still this: When Utah finally has Pac 12 quality QB's, and Pac 12 talent and depth at all the O line spots, they will compete at a quality level. Until that day comes, they will struggle.

It seems you are assuming that they will just automatically end up having pac 12 quality qb's and depth on the o-line and when that happens they will automatically compete at a quality level.

How low has washington state been in the pac 12? They should have pac 12 quality players by now and therefore should be competing at a quality level.

There is a possibility that utah will be at the bottom of the pac 12 for many years to come (not that i think that will be the case, but it is a possibility).

A quality O line will open holes for the backs and provide QB protection. You have to do both.

Utah's O line is adequate for the former (plus, White is really good at exploiting even small gaps), but they seem to struggle with the latter. A top tier QB can help compensate, but that's the catch - you have to have a top tier QB.

I totally agree. Where I disagree, is when someone says our o line is lacking talent so bad that it justifies a losing record.

If we have one of the leading running backs in the conference, or o line is good enough to finish .500 or better. I agree the o line is not the greatest, but it's still not horrible. It's decent.

This debate is getting bogged down in semantics. The bottom line is still this: When Utah finally has Pac 12 quality QB's, and Pac 12 talent and depth at all the O line spots, they will compete at a quality level. Until that day comes, they will struggle.

Obviously anyone can win if they have enough talent. My argument is that we had enough talent for a .500 (or better) team this year. If Whit was good enough to be above criticism, he would have taken this team to a bowl game.

If, for example, we had Boise State's coaching staff, I have no doubt this team goes to a bowl game this year.

Besides, after 2.5 recruiting classes, we still lack talent? When do we start holding coaches accountable for not recruiting the talent we need?

It looks like everyone is at least coming around to acknowledging the lack of Pac12 talent on for the Utes. Now to figure out why that is. Most of that is on the coaches.

/thread.

Start the Utah 2013 thread now.

This.

Good hell, Salty. Give it a rest. You're never going to convince someone of something when their whole reason for being in the thread in the first place is just to tweak you and piss you off. Don't feed the trolls.

And for the jealous BYU troll brigade... Poop on you.

Ya, a lot to be jealous of lol.

To be fair Lefty said to those in the jealous troll brigade, so it was only directed at those and so why would you reply.......... oh wait. Conan you son of a gun you never told me you were a Dick troll not that you had do.

To be fair Lefty said to those in the jealous troll brigade, so it was only directed at those and so why would you reply.......... oh wait. Conan you son of a gun you never told me you were a Dick troll not that you had do.
Don't shoot the messenger lil bro.

Is Utah going to beat BYU in Basketball tonight? Whoooaaa...

They looked solid. Not that BYU is anything special this year, but Utah is clearly at stage 2 in the rebuilding process now. Stage 1 was to clear out the junk. Check. Stage 2 is to establish a culture/system and get guys to buy into. They played solid team basketball and ran some good defensive schemes so it looks like that is going well for them. Stage 3 is to get bigger talents on campus to amplify that new culture/system. Loveridge is a nice start, he'll probably end up a pretty solid D-1 player, but they need a few more high caliber guys. Not too bad, they could be good consistently again in a few years.

A little surprised nobody brought this up yet:

https://www.ksl.com/?sid=23591379&nid=840&title=utah-football-joe-kruger-to-declare-for-nfl-draft

Joe Kruger leaving early? Is it just me, or is anybody else wondering what he's smoking?

Yeah I heard it on Friday I think, was very disappointed he was leaving, he didn't have a bad year but didn't live up to expectations (partly due to injury) and maybe that's the reason why he decided to leave, didn't want to risk injury.

I worry that he'll end up like Sealver Siliga 2yrs ago who surprisingly left early and went undrafted (currently on the Broncos roster).