What's new

Offseason - Tomorrow Begins Today

Yeah, if we renounced Rubio, Udoh and Sef and Korver retired and we could trade Crowder to someone with some space for next to nothing, we’d be at 77.4M. Then if we did the Conley trade, we’d be at about 83.4M or 26M under the cap.

We could sign Mirotic to 3/45 or something and still have 11-12M under the cap to fill out the roster.

We would have capholds and Korver won't be completely wiped from the capsheet even if he retires. We can waive and stretch him and it is like 1.1-1.2M cap hit. All that said we could get to around 22-23M by moving Jae, Bradley (in the Conley deal hypothetically), and waiving those guys. Its worth considering.

The other option is if we traded for Conley we could do a sign and trade with Milwaukee sending Crowder out and taking back Niko... could do uneven salaries and use our cap space as the difference... at least I think that is legal. Then we'd have $10M or so for other needs.

We would have capholds and Korver won't be completely wiped from the capsheet even if he retires. We can waive and stretch him and it is like 1.1-1.2M cap hit. All that said we could get to around 22-23M by moving Jae, Bradley (in the Conley deal hypothetically), and waiving those guys. Its worth considering.

The other option is if we traded for Conley we could do a sign and trade with Milwaukee sending Crowder out and taking back Niko... could do uneven salaries and use our cap space as the difference... at least I think that is legal. Then we'd have $10M or so for other needs.

What cap holds? The only ones are Rubio, Udoh and Sef. We can renounce them.

What cap holds? The only ones are Rubio, Udoh and Sef. We can renounce them.

Roster spot cap holds... you have to include a $900k cap hold for up to 12 roster spots.. we'd have like 8 players on the roster under your scenario so you'd have to have around 2.7-3.6 in roster spot cap holds plus Korver's 1.1M

I think Niang showed something this year. If we can trade Crowder and get an impact player back, I think Gorgeous Georges can easily take Crowder's role.
Maybe he can take his minutes, but not his role. They are really not very similar players. I also think discounting intangibles is a mistake and I'm not sure Niang brings any.

Maybe he can take his minutes, but not his role. They are really not very similar players. I also think discounting intangibles is a mistake and I'm not sure Niang brings any.

I don’t disagree on the intangibles aspect. Right now. I wonder, if he could start to play 16-22 minutes a game, and shoot 40-42% from three (lofty but he has that skill level) and was scrappy as **** on d (we saw that some), would we not then love his “intangibles”?

I don’t disagree on the intangibles aspect. Right now. I wonder, if he could start to play 16-22 minutes a game, and shoot 40-42% from three (lofty but he has that skill level) and was scrappy as **** on d (we saw that some), would we not then love his “intangibles”?
"He" as in Niang? Umm, not that I can see. Dude looks like a fun guy that has a penchant for basketball, not a warrior that helps define our team and its culture.

I also think he is destined to be a minus on defense.

None of that is to say that Crowder is untouchable, or that becoming a better team without him isn't possible, but I think it's unlikely that we could spend Crowder's salary in a better way than it's being spent on him, all things considered.

"He" as in Niang? Umm, not that I can see. Dude looks like a fun guy that has a penchant for basketball, not a warrior that helps define our team and its culture.

I also think he is destined to be a minus on defense.

None of that is to say that Crowder is untouchable, or that becoming a better team without him isn't possible, but I think it's unlikely that we could spend Crowder's salary in a better way than it's being spent on him, all things considered.

If we found a solid wing I’d be good having Royce assume the stretch 4 scrappy role with Niang as a stretch/creating 4. He provides some passing and is a better shooter than Jae. We could get another vet (demarre Carroll maybe) that could be the enforcer.

I’d only move on from Jae if we had a great use for his salary slot or used him in a trade for something different.

I like having a tough guy on the roster... I have no idea what real value it brings but it feels like there is something there.

Guys like pat Beverly who don’t give one eff who you are they are coming at your neck... have value and give confidence to their teammates. Good teams always seem to have that type of guy.

Guys like pat Beverly who don’t give one eff who you are they are coming at your neck... have value and give confidence to their teammates. Good teams always seem to have that type of guy.
Fully agreed. What's everyone's read on his value/gettability?

Also, I don't want a tough guy on the roster, I want the team to be tough. I want most of the players to be guys that the other team just doesn't want to play against. If those guys can shoot a basketball well enough, then tuck a few high-calibre offensive players in the mix with Rudy Gobert and you are suddenly a dark horse contender. The Jazz obviously lack the shooting and having more than one high-calibre offensive player, but I feel good about everything up to those points.

Also, I don't want a tough guy on the roster, I want the team to be tough. I want most of the players to be guys that the other team just doesn't want to play against.
If we were offering a starting spot on a playoff team, then I think that's an option. However, if LA is bringing good guys in, he may stay. However, he's never really been paid, so if you offered him a sizable contract it could lure him away.

Also, I don't want a tough guy on the roster, I want the team to be tough. I want most of the players to be guys that the other team just doesn't want to play against. If those guys can shoot a basketball well enough, then tuck a few high-calibre offensive players in the mix with Rudy Gobert and you are suddenly a dark horse contender. The Jazz obviously lack the shooting and having more than one high-calibre offensive player, but I feel good about everything up to those points.

I’m guessing MLE money for one or two years plus a starting position on a playoff team gets it done pretty easily.

Let me vent in this thread too. We’re ****ed. So ****ed. I have little to no faith in Lindsey after reading what HH posted. Goran Dragic? Really??? Is Bobby Phills not available?

I completely disagree. Mirotic is a much better scorer, shooter and rebounder than Crowder.

Crowder is more versatile. More heart better d. Can bring the ball up. Ask the majority of the NBA they will tell you Crowder over Niko and it ain't even close. Mirocrap is a one dimensional stiff and a one trick pony. Having him on the Jazz will be the resurrection of Scott Padgett.

Let me vent in this thread too. We’re ****ed. So ****ed. I have little to no faith in Lindsey after reading what HH posted. Goran Dragic? Really??? Is Bobby Phills not available?
I know the feeling. That post is the absolute worst ****ing nightmare.

Remember 2012-2013? That season was cool. Remember how we kept Corbin another year? That was cool. Remember how we held onto Al Jefferson for two seasons too long and netted a whole 0 playoff wins? That was cool.

I don't know if I can handle how cool things could get if we stay the course.