What's new

Okur's reaction for Kanter's situation

It is not about what he does in NBA. If athletes decline to play for national country, their club or other professional success means squat for their country's fans. Example - Ilgauskas had very good career in NBA, was ALL-star and yet he never played a single game for Lithuania after he started playing in NBA - thus Lithuanian fans did not LOVE him at all and he was called numerous names in press like "traitor","liar", etc.
Maybe it is hard for you Americans to understand but for Europeans national team success is way more important then NBA. Just the way it is.

We understand. Americans go into violent rage when our best soccer players sign in far superior leagues overseas. Same with bad mitten, ping pong, and sumo wrestling. Freaking traitors.

Illyasova is right. But PKM is right too. There are some very good posts in this thread so I won't prolong it much.

First let me say for the nth time that I'm a DIE HARD Fenerbahçe fan. But let me also say that we screwed him, Enes, good, real good. Every Fener fan knows that we have some really dishonest and characterless people in the management who are causing different scandals almost every single year. Enes deal was just one of their usual sins a few years ago. Their mind was exactly this, "You are either ours or no one elses!". Once they understood that Enes is long gone, their whole motivation was to screw him and not let anyone having him for cheap.

The whole NCAA thing was roughly as PKM told. Maybe I wouldn't give much credit to his father. He is one of the culpables for me as he couldn't forecast many basic things and trusted that wicked son of ***** agent Max Ergül and let him to ruin Enes' early career. Many people have warned both Enes and his father about the NCAA rulings and Fenerbahçe managers but they did what they wanted to do and followed their own noses so consequently they just reaped what they have sown. NCAA's judgment was total BS too but it's not the point here really.

Turkish NT issue is a very simple one in fact but people just keep forgetting the events. No one, except very few really nationalist Turkish people, no one blamed Enes for wanting to stay in US and work during the summer for himself. It was all about how he did it. He DITCHED the NT at the very last second by not even answering the phones. That was unacceptable. However I never liked the reaction of our coach and federation, they reacted in a retributive way rather than a constructive manner. They acted as a child against a child.

Speaking childish acts. Enes gets the trophy. His twitter account is a total joke and disaster from the beginning. First all the pron queens he followed then the ridiculous religious rant for the Gülen Sect and now the Hahaha scandal. As I said in some other thread, I believe him when he says he was referring to his brother with the laughter, or at least I want to believe him. But it's not the point here. I just cannot believe how can a person in Enes' shoes use the social media in this horrible way. It really arouses doubts in my mind, is Enes a total idiot? I don't think so since I am his biggest fan and I always considered him as a very smart, intelligent kid but still I can't help and want to scream at him. "What the **** is wrong with you mate? What the **** with all this ludicrous tweets?" Boy, somethings wrong with this kid, I'm quite sure about it. I hope it's just all consecutive mishaps.

Lastly, for the ones they have no idea about the Gülen Sect, that is the most worrisome problem of Enes right now for me. Not the NT issues, not any of his childish farces nor any basketball related thing.

He just has to stay away from that hypocritical religion mongers. They are crap.

Last edited:
Enes abi sakalın olayım jiletle beni en buyük hayranlarından biriyim.

Mr.Enes, i am your best fan berkkobe aka berk

It is time for Enes to move on. Either decide to play for Turkish NT or just say no. The NCAA thing should be over by now. Stay off of twitter, nothing good comes of it.

Enes you have to show what you can do to everybody including harun erdenay(responsable of turkish NT) and Turgay Demirel(Turkish david stern)

i have a friend in Turkey whose father is best friend of mr mehmet kanter and they all told me from the beginning that Turkish basketball Federation doesn' accept enes being in their national teams becAuse of the fenerbahce situation. Also this is the reason why kerem kanter is in USA for years playing high school ball.

u
gonna see when enes explains everything

Funny story. Enes' is betrayed by his youth. He needs a social media manager.

This.

ECTYA's post tells pretty much the story. I expresed my opinion about it at Eurobasket 2013 thread, since we got a thread about the subject ill just c&p it here if y'all dont mind;

Its totally uncool he just needs to learn how to use twitter properly and shouldnt forget the fact that he is a familiar face. Even though i can understand his reasons partially that is just unnecessary, his silence would be the best answer but that is just being childish and he is 21, not 17 or 18 anymore. If he tweets something like that ofc it would get some negative reaction and this is not good for his PR. He should've figure it out before sending it. He needs to pull himself together if he can't do that he can get professional help on that matter. Cause lately his tweets are pure BS beside the ones involving Karl Malone and its hurting him.

He talked about why he is wearing "0" and told that "Its reminds me of being humble. My mother always told me be humble no matter what." Sth like that... Well, thats just not being humble and Gilbert Arenas was also wearing #0 for same reason but then he turned Wizards locker room into 'Little Italy'. We love Enes but he just needs to learn that this is a serious communication issue and he need to think about it or someone beside him should help him to think about it, like his father idk.

And that is the famous tweet that being talked about;

44b8b9121e801.jpg

Lastly, we can say if i was in his shoes i would do the same thing but being in his shoes also requires some responsibility and diligence, we should consider that as well. He should learn to use Twitter to communicate with people, not for creating new misscomunication issues. As i and Siro said he can get professional help on that matter. Or simply by looking at Memo's twitter account he can learn a lot.

Reactions: ema
So not having heard of this Gulen Sect before, I just went to Wikipedia.

It sounds modern, moderate and a fairly progressive network within the Islamic faith.

Not sure why people are overreacting to that.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gülen_movement

That's why I used the word "hypocritical". That's their shell. If you research deeper than wikipedia, you can maybe grasp their substance a little bit better.

That's why I used the word "hypocritical". That's their shell. If you research deeper than wikipedia, you can maybe grasp their substance a little bit better.

Maybe explain us what they are really about? Or link us something in English to understand. I guess the most discussions and sources about that are written in Turkish, thus not comprehensible for most of us.

No offense - and I'd be interested in learning more - but at this juncture I'm going to trust the writing and reporting of the New York Times over that of a random sports forum user.

There's quite a lot of accusations that could and have been thrown at a certain religion in Utah over the last two hundred years and while some of it is accurate, a lot is nonsense.

No offense - and I'd be interested in learning more - but at this juncture I'm going to trust the writing and reporting of the New York Times over that of a random sports forum user.

There's quite a lot of accusations that could and have been thrown at a certain religion in Utah over the last two hundred years and while some of it is accurate, a lot is nonsense.

Really? Which religion?

I'm a random sports forum user yes, that's true. But a random sports forum user that raised by an Islamic dervish convent, a random guy who became hafiz at 9 years old(I don't brag about it normally, this is the first time), who is a sincere Muslim, a Quranist, but a guy that has also been in the homes, schools and dorms of the subject sect for several years, a guy that have read almost every nonsense that the leader and the prominent people of the sect have written, a guy that also have served(hizmet) for the same very sect, a guy that saw their dishonesty, hypocrisy from the inside, a guy that even got hurt by them.

But you're still free to believe whoever you want of course because, obviously, you don't know me and there is not any single reason to trust me.

Maybe explain us what they are really about? Or link us something in English to understand. I guess the most discussions and sources about that are written in Turkish, thus not comprehensible for most of us.
I can give a few links from a shallow search, because I didn't have the need to read about Gülen Sect in English before. But maybe later I could write a few things myself, if I have the time and will.

https://turkishinvitations.weebly.com/image-vs-reality.html

https://www.meforum.org/2045/fethullah-gulens-grand-ambition

https://www.notdeleted.net/en-shocking-statements-from-Fethullah-Gulen-writings.html

https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/therealfethullahglen/#.Ui9ktD_LJS4

Note that these are articles that from the viewpoint of just the global side of the sect. The real demonic sides of the sect shows itself in Turkey and Turkish politics.

But maybe even this very short video could make an accurate impression about the sect for you. This crazy schizophrenic guy is the very leader of the great Gülen Sect. I say schizophrenic because he once claimed talking face to face with Prophet Mohammed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPnHQxEHEuY

I'll check it out - thanks for the background.

I will say, from a cursory glance at the articles you linked, I wouldn't qualify these as "highly qualified" or trusted sources, and when the NY Times and others have a contrasting opinion, that does raise some eyebrows.

There are hundreds of sites and blogs that will decry and claim corruption in any religion or organization.

I do find it hard to believe that if this sect were as horrible in actuality as your perspective, that the United States would have approved dozens of public charter schools to be operated by them, including in many of the most conservative and Islamaphobic states in the union - e.g. the Deep South.

He actually deleted all those and wrote "I wish you people could look at the whole issue from my side at least for once."

he may have a point, but then again as a non-Turk Jazz fan i'm more inclined to side with him in general

Sent from my SGH-T679 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'll check it out - thanks for the background.

I will say, from a cursory glance at the articles you linked, I wouldn't qualify these as "highly qualified" or trusted sources, and when the NY Times and others have a contrasting opinion, that does raise some eyebrows.

There are hundreds of sites and blogs that will decry and claim corruption in any religion or organization.

I do find it hard to believe that if this sect were as horrible in actuality as your perspective, that the United States would have approved dozens of public charter schools to be operated by them, including in many of the most conservative and Islamaphobic states in the union - e.g. the Deep South.

You're welcome. I see where you are coming from, but let me say that the US-Gülen relationship is the backbone of the sect. It's a win win situation for US and them. Don't forget that US selected Turkey to be the model for ME nations as a "Moderate Islamic" country.

If you can bear with the accent of the fellow in the video I'd suggest listening to it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0BO1d0bR8Co

Now I have to go out, maybe I could write a little bit about the US-Gülen relationships, tomorrow or so.