What's new

Omnibus Gordon Hayward Thread (To clean up the Board some)

You think that cheap guy is paying his own way? He is just using the FA tour as a way to get an extended honeymoon with the new bride all on other peoples dime.

'Cause that's how the conversations go. Exec: I want you to come in for talks. Hayward: Only if you pay the airfare and hotel.

He can't sign anywhere for a few days. He is going to visit a few places and see what offers come in next week. Once he gets his offers, then he will decide which one to sign. Jazz will then either match or let him walk. Nothing is going to happen with him for at least 3-4 days, and maybe longer if his agent feels he will get a better deal after Melo and Lebron decide where they are going. So everyone take a deep breath, relax, and just wait.

I don't blame him at all. As for why this is all being publicized, everyone seems to forget that there is an agent involved in this process. He's likely the one that started the max deal rumor. Then when that didn't work, the agent books the team visits and informs the press where each stop is going to be. You can bet that any time Hayward has a question, the agent is in his ear telling him what will be best for his career. It's what agents do.

When he ends back up with the Jazz and some of us annoying fans boo him because he made more money than they think he should, he will have his agent to thank for it.

As for the person who asked why such a tightwad needs the money, tightwads are exactly the kind of people that look for the best deal.

That's my issue is that it is like they are trying to make him a big deal and no one really cares. It just seems really desperate. I want the jazz to match no matter what so not hating on the player....just hatin his game.

I don't think it's stupid at all. He's one of the top free agents available after the first tier. He's doing what all free agents do. Melo just did the same thing. Teams are recruiting him to their cities so he's checking things out. What do you want him to do? 12-16 million is a lot of money. The Jazz seem to be ok with it so why is everyone taking this so personally? It doesn't mean he wants out. He's just doing exactly what any one of us would do in the same situation. It's just business. Why are people so offended?
It's not everyone. Just the jump off the bridge or fly in the clouds group. There is no middle ground with some fans. Either everything is great or they are jumping of the bridge because of some minor issue, That they generally blow up to something significant when it's not. This thread is a perfect example of such. No patients to just let the process work itself out. They have to over react to every little bit of news.
Actually being a fan tends to make people like that. I swore I'd never watch football again after the super bowl this year. Now I can't wait for it to start back up. Guess I'm a little guilty of this same thing.

It's not everyone. Just the jump off the bridge or fly in the clouds group. There is no middle ground with some fans. Either everything is great or they are jumping of the bridge because of some minor issue, That they generally blow up to something significant when it's not. This thread is a perfect example of such. No patients to just let the process work itself out. They have to over react to every little bit of news.

We are starved for any information regarding what next season will look like.
That is why Hayward rumors thrive and Novak can make headlines...
Tough time of year.. between the hype of the draft to the start of the overrated summer league.

We are starved for any information regarding what next season will look like.
That is why Hayward rumors thrive and Novak can make headlines...
Tough time of year.. between the hype of the draft to the start of the overrated summer league.
It does not just happen in the off season though. It's all year every year. Oh no Hayward went 1-15 with 6 points and 5 TO. He sucks the team sucks we should release him. During the off season it's just worse because everybody is already bored by it. And there is nothing else to talk about it. I am not necessarily holding myself above this. I just try not to blame players for watching out for themselves. They are the only ones who really will. Even their agents are in it for themselves and not the player.

That's my issue is that it is like they are trying to make him a big deal and no one really cares. It just seems really desperate. I want the jazz to match no matter what so not hating on the player....just hatin his game.

Evidently people care enough for his trips to be reported by national writers.His agent may be an a-hole, but he's good at what he does. Lets just hope he doesn't ruin Hayward's reputation while he's at it.

This offseason tour Hayward is going on is annoying and kind of stupid. How many RFA's are courting and visiting teams this offseason? Maybe I'm taking things too seriously, but he's going on a Melo tour and, whether he thinks so or not, he ain't no Melo.

I think Hayward wants out. Now. He looking desperately for a max offer, or the most toxic offer out there. Hell, if he doesn't find one I'll be he takes the qualifying offer and becomes a UFA next season and bolts.

Either he comes to a deal with the Jazz or we should seriously consider and S&T.

Anyone else think this RFA tour is a slap in the face?
Not at all. KOC told both Millsap and Matthews to go establish their value. Did the same with Raja 1.0.
Hayward would be foolish not to try to get an offer sheet. Jazz apparently told him he's worth <$12M (last summer's offer reportedly less than Favors'). He has teams telling him he might be worth $15M. So $48M vs. $63M for 4 years. Or, maybe he just sits around waiting for Utah to make another offer and Lindsey lowballs him at $8M/per because he hasn't been exploring other options. Hayward should go out and get the best deal he can. Isn't that what all of us do in the "real" world?

He can't sign anywhere for a few days. He is going to visit a few places and see what offers come in next week. Once he gets his offers, then he will decide which one to sign. Jazz will then either match or let him walk. Nothing is going to happen with him for at least 3-4 days, and maybe longer if his agent feels he will get a better deal after Melo and Lebron decide where they are going. So everyone take a deep breath, relax, and just wait.
This.
Like it or not, in this market Hayward IS a big deal. But just like when Howard was deciding where to go - and further back to Decision 1.0 - most everyone is waiting on the big fish to go first. Most FA's do have a few suitors. Marvin has been linked to about 7 teams, We were one of several teams to contact Bazemore. So Hayward has about 5 teams that have expressed an interest thus far? He's still a RFA and the Jazz have his rights.

Hayward and his agent would both be completely stupid if they did not explore every possible option - even if the place he most wants to be is in Utah. Good for GH.

The fact is Hayward can set up generations with this contract. You take the most money after your rookie contract . Depending on endorsements after that, then you look for rings .

Since he is engaged also, he needs to make sure the Mrs is good where they end up ....
It's a free pre honeymoon for him .

I don't think it's bad of Hayward to see whats out there up close. It's a smart move in my book. Visiting with the teams, and getting a sense of what the core of your career may look like is wise. Maybe we don't like it, because it's sort of telling on how he feels about us. As a personal move I think its in his best interest to see these places, visit these people, and go after the best deal.

If he's looking for a job opportunity, and being the player who has a decent market value right now, I think teams invite him to check out the city, the organization and break balls a little.

It looks gay as hell Gordon or any other player checking out those opportunities, but you would have to accept that invitation too if you were looking for a deal. But if he thinks he should travel around because he is one of the solid stars of the league, then he is considering himself more than what he is.