What's new

Open Scrimmage October 5 at 4 p.m. MT!

Just listened to the end on locke's pod cast. Sounds like Kanter made the second FT and then Burks Drove and made a layup down 3. He forgot the score and his teamates were mad at him. Blue wins by a point

For an American I bet it's amazing. Queens of size.

Yeah, Europeans have a more sophisticated taste. For example , did you see the bezel on that screen? The contour just doesn't flow with the background dynamically enough. Who designed it? A Roma? Eww. Americans are all like GIVE ME BIGGER SIZE NOMNOMNOM. So uncivilized. They just can't understand suaveness like you and I do.

Yeah, Europeans have a more sophisticated taste. For example , did you see the bezel on that screen? The contour just doesn't flow with the background dynamically enough. Who designed it? A Roma? Eww. Americans are all like GIVE ME BIGGER SIZE NOMNOMNOM. So uncivilized. They just can't understand suaveness like you and I do.

shutup u hipster gay commie.

shutup u hipster gay commie.

Oh how rude!

SuperStock_1570R-123119.jpg

Watching scrimmage now, just into the 2nd half.

With Burke, I've seen him create but then miss like three solid layup-esque shots. It's good that he's getting these, and I think a low shooting % is fair enough to expect from the get go. Even Burks was missing gimmies / good looks in this game, and we know that he's at least somewhat NBA capable.

One difference that's night and day from summer league is that Burke will not feel all the pressure to score all the team's pts or to be the star right away. He has several guys he can defer to while he eases in. In SL he was pressing to score big #s and you could see it.

Watching scrimmage now, just into the 2nd half.

With Burke, I've seen him create but then miss like three solid layup-esque shots. It's good that he's getting these, and I think a low shooting % is fair enough to expect from the get go. Even Burks was missing gimmies / good looks in this game, and we know that he's at least somewhat NBA capable.

One difference that's night and day from summer league is that Burke will not feel all the pressure to score all the team's pts or to be the star right away. He has several guys he can defer to while he eases in. In SL he was pressing to score big #s and you could see it.

Rep if you tell me how you're watching it...is it recorded on YouTube somewhere?

Just got home from the scrimmage.

Sorry I don't have time to read everyone's musing right now. I'll get back to them later.

Here are my observations:

Loved the screens. The video ones, the basketball ones were meh. Where I was sitting I could see three fairly easily (the smaller ones on the inside that face down for the front row folks). It was quite natural to watch the screen or the live action.

Favors should have worked on a go to move. His offense is still terrible.

Hayward was pressing.

Alec Burks needs to change his steps as he approaches the basket so that he shoots on the way up not the way down.

Trey Burke is....I can't yet, maybe later.

All the talk about leadership....Lucas isn't, Hayward may be a spokesman but not a leader, Favors-no way. Enes is going to lead this team because when they need a basket he is going to be the one to make a play.

Richard Jefferson was a smart addition, liked his composure (funny to say about a preseason scrimmage)

Scott Machado could be the starting pg on this team. (That is not necessarily a complement to him)

The offense looked awful. I was reminded of a scrimage I was at years ago, it got sloppy (still looked better than tonight) then Sloan hollered, stamped his foot, walked out onto the floor in the middle of the game and told the players to knock it off and run the offense. Ty never stomped his foot.

Kanter looked legit.

If Kanter is legit Gobert is legit. Gobert blocked him twice just after checking in.

Practicing against Biedrens is going to help Gobert & Kanter.

Favors doesn't even have a go to spot on the floor, sigh.

Kanter lives at and under the rim, and he very naturally creates space for himself. Beautiful to watch. Enes earned his team many open looks because he had to be doubled. Favors does not need to be doubled if the defender pushes him off the block and then plays back for Favors to take the Jump shot.

Trey Burke..... sigh, I'm still not ready.

Ian Clark was surprisingly insipid during most of the game. Maybe he will look better on the tape. Maybe I expected too much.

Brian Cook will make the team, atleast until Marvin comes back.

Speaking of Marvin, I was surprised to see him dressed and stretching, then realized Rush was stretching too. Marvin sat out the drills, I lost track of Rush so I don't know if he ran drills.

Kanter & Jefferson are going to lead the team in scoring. Alec Burks will lead the team in shots. Favors is going to be pist that he doesn't get the ball more, but the man has no go to move and no go to spot on the floor. He doesn't know what he is going to do when he catches the ball and unlike Kanter he does not move naturally.

I think McGuire (?) will make the team.

Trey Burke is....well it is easy to see why Trey did so well in college. He is able to get into the lane very easily and in college where the helpers are often either too slow, or too aggressive he did great. He could beat his guy, draw three people to him and then throw a ball in the area of one of his teamates for a score. He can still get past his defender (Lucas for what it is worth) but then the defenders close in too quickly, but unlike colllege they are able to cut off the passing lanes. I could nit pick his vision, his shot, his lack of speed, lack of quickness or how small he is. But I will just say one thing. It appeared to me that he acted like he does not believe he belongs in the NBA. Pressing, tentative, thinking, sulking, drooping. I watched him throw a ball away and then stand and sigh while his teamates tried to chase down the break. A few minutes later he got subbed out and he kind of sulked over to the bench and sat between coach Corbin and Coach Dleague guy. When he came back in it looked like he played at one speed: depressed.

Now I could see him having some success playing with Kanter (another below the rim guy) because Kanter just makes space and gets his hands on balls. It would be ugly Trey crashing into people, bodies flying, kanter somehow getting the ball followed by more bodies flying and a shot by kanter.

So from mellow's recap, it sounds as if the Riggin for Wiggins campaign is alive and well. Now I'm not sure which direction the Jazz should go: sounds like they need Randle, Wiggins AND Harrison!

My observations:

Burke - I saw improvement from the summer game. He was looking downcourt and didn't pound the ball as much. He had two nice plays 1) Pick n roll with Gobert who passed to Evans for the dunk. 2) Another time he came off the screen and made a jumpshot. However, he took some bad shots and was to eager to shoot. Defense was pretty good but Lucas isn't exactly an offensive machine.

Hayward and Favors were pressing and disappointing.

Evans did some nice thing but when he was guarding Favors you realize how skinny he is. I think he should play some this year.

Jefferson will contribute and knows what he is doing.

Burks - he can score. I have been a big fan but he seems like the same player he was when he was drafted. I think he needs to come off the bench and be one of the main scorers. He was pretty average.

#22 AND #30 were the only scrubs that impressed me a little.

Kanter was the best player. He was aggressive. He still gets caught under the basket. Kanter is going to be our number one offensive player.

Gobert - I think he will play minutes. He will get pushed around and his offense is raw but his defense, ability to block shots.

You could tell the guys are at the end of 2 a days. The first few minutes the guys ran the offense and then it became a YMCA game. Still nice to see the team.

franklin's notes

Richard Jefferson -- I never knew he had asthma. He was spraying the inhaler during those for show warm up drills. Looked like the best player out on the floor. Excellent court vision.

Evans -- Outjumped Kanter for the tipoff, of course.

Biedrins -- Already rubbing his gut during warm up. Get another drink, kid.

Turk doing the Dirk -- spotted shooting the turnaround one legger during shoot around. Couldn't dominate Bieds-Evans-D-leaguer.

Goob -- couldn't post up the D-Leaguer, maybe it was Bryan Cook, not sure.

Favors -- couldn't take Evans on the low block twice in a row. Him and Kanter should have dominated Evans-Goob. Nope.

Corbin was running the right p-n-r lower than usual. Hayward made a nice rotation pass to the top of the key for a three.

Hayward -- Came out limping, obviously not into the exhibition. He screwed around a lot during the for show warm up drills, instigated the other starters to screw around too. Punked Turk at the dance off a little bit.

Trey Burke -- Kid looked good. Real good. 2nd best player on the floor next to R. Jeff. Drive and dish looked nice.

franklin -- failed CoTy autograph requisition.

Burks and Rush didn't do anything to stand out to me. Whoever #3 is looked like a baller though. That D-Leaguer was making a bunch of plays in the first half. They should sign him.

Cowhide, did you notice, and did you find it odd that the first few sets the Jazz put the ball in Haywards hands instead of Burke's? It looked like the traditional jazz high post flex offense, but Burke was the weakside outlet instead of the initiator. I'm not sure what it means. I know that Burke was left open at the top weakside, and was tempted into taking the shot but kept missing it.

Also, Hayward's team stood around and watched alot. It was painful to watch them watching. It could be a long season if the Jazz try to play Alfense with Kanter in place of Al and Trey playing the role of Randy Foye.

After reading the last few critiques of the scrimmage, I must say that this is shaping up to be quite the successful tank!

Bring it philly, pheonix, sacramento, orlando, boston and the rest...... we are ready for ya