What's new

Our Embassy is Under Attack

"I think the best definition would be either one of assassination or murder," Gary Solis, a retired Marine who taught on the laws of war at West Point, tells NPR. He says what happened is comparable to Iran killing a high-ranking U.S. military official with a bomb on U.S. soil.”

I do think there’s a difference between us taking this guy out and Iran taking out Mike Pompeo. I get he was bigtime in Iran and was rumored to be next in line to head their government. So by position I understand he’d be like a Sec of State. However, Iran IS a state sponsor of terror. We are not. This guy lurked in the shadows to stir the pot throughout the Middle East. So it’s not the typical assassination of a state leader. I don’t think this same thing as taking out Franz Ferdinand.

My issue is why? Why now? This guy was bad news 2 or 3 years ago, right? Why didn’t we take him out then? If taking out this guy was a priority, why haven’t we been building a coalition with our allies so in the case this escalates, we’re better positioned for war? Are we ready for possible regime change?

If trump weren’t being impeached, would this operation have happened?

I do think there’s a difference between us taking this guy out and Iran taking out Mike Pompeo. I get he was bigtime in Iran and was rumored to be next in line to head their government. So by position I understand he’d be like a Sec of State. However, Iran IS a state sponsor of terror. We are not. This guy lurked in the shadows to stir the pot throughout the Middle East. So it’s not the typical assassination of a state leader. I don’t think this same thing as taking out Franz Ferdinand.
Just to play devils advocate here a bit, the US has "sponsored terrorism" when it suited us.

We allied with them. We used them to defeat our enemies (ISIS) and as a reward turned out backs to them against their enemies (Turkey and Syria). And for what benefit? We didn’t send troops home or save money. Trump immediately reassigned troops fighting jointly with Kurdish forces to other parts of the Middle East. Donald did that because he has financial interests in Turkey. You’re fine with that?

Yes, please, go back to lurking. If this is the worldview you share, then no one is enlightened by your posting.

You are hilarious. I am not defending or supporting Trump. You don’t know why he pulled troops from Syria. NONE of us here are in that loop. Don’t taint my words with your bias. Don’t assume you know what my worldview is.

You are hilarious. I am not defending or supporting Trump. You don’t know why he pulled troops from Syria. NONE of us here are in that loop. Don’t taint my words with your bias. Don’t assume you know what my worldview is.

It was widely reported that Trump pulled our support of the Kurds due to business interests in Turkey. Even John Bolton, his national security advisor, admitted to such:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/do...ome-trump-s-foreign-policy-decisions-n1080651

again, this is why I said, get informed first.

Additional homework:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/tr...ss-connections-turkey-back-spotlight-n1064011

Definitely the words of a man who is trying to de-escalate conflict.

If a foreign power was threatening to attack our cultural sites we'd call that terrorism, and be right to do so.

It’s like he can’t wait for Iran to do something. That’s why I think that they either suck it up, or go all in. The retaliation wouldn’t be a little oopsie.

We are ruled by a lunatic folks.

This.

Just because critics like Thriller/journalists don't know what the strategy is doesn't mean there's not. I like to think the military advised the president to sign off on the attack and have plan a, b and c in place.

Remember how you agreed that we shouldn’t reveal our strategy? Look at what Dear Leader just tweeted:

I know we’ve had our differences, but I think even you and I can both agree that tweeting this out probably isn’t great. This certainly wasn’t the “strategy reveal” or “vision” I was asking for. If we want to set the Arab world on fire (not to mention our allies, by committing war crimes) let’s blow up important cultural and religious sites! Sites that are protected by international law.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/2441

But I think it’s a clear look inside the mindset of the most simple and transparent president we’ve ever had.

Trump means this massive threat to be a deterrent.

So if Iran behaves the way Donnie hopes, they put their tail between their legs and run away. What Trump fails to realize us that this outcome is politically impossible for the Iranians. They will respond.

So what they will do is a smaller response, one that would make Trump look terrible with an asymmetric bombing of 52 sites, if trump does so, the region and our allies goes more strongly anti American. If trump does not attack, we are seen by the Iranians as weaker, similar to when trump backed down last time.

So his lack of strategic thinking has painted us into a corner.

Tiddlywinks thinking.

Then Iran does another smaller attack. Rinse repeat.

it is unfortunate that he has so clearly signaled our next move. I’m sure the game theory advisors in the Pentagon and State Department are pulling out hairs.

Ah yes. Let’s potentially start a war in the Middle East under false pretenses without a clear purpose, goal, or exit strategy. What could possibly go wrong?

Are you really this dumb?

Weren't you pro war like a month ago?? When trump was going to be pulling troops out of the middle east? Because "orange man bad" everything he does I must be against. :rolleyes:

Weren't you pro war like a month ago?? When trump was going to be pulling troops out of the middle east? Because "orange man bad" everything he does I must be against. :rolleyes:
No you are wrong. He was against Trump pulling troops (moving them really) from areas in Syria because doing so caused US allies to get slaughtered.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

Threatening to bomb cultural sites us just too stupid for words on so many dimensions.

Can you expand on those dimensions? I know we have avoided bombing religious sites and structures in the past, giving the enemy a place to hide. That is asinine...

Can you expand on those dimensions? I know we have avoided bombing religious sites and structures in the past, giving the enemy a place to hide. That is asinine...
Not destroying historic places, cultural places is far from asinine. It's who we should be.

Be humble and realize everyone is just a fool like everyone else.

Wise words. Reminds me of the story attributed to Socrates on how he concluded he must be the wisest man in the Greek world since he seemed to be the only one who realized that he really didn't know anything at all....

I know I’m ignorant, but I lived in the region for a long time to understand it really well.

Sounds like you could add a perspective most of us lack. That's a good thing.

nevermind... I will go back to lurking.

Why? You offer a different perspective, don't be reluctant to share it.

Yes, please, go back to lurking. If this is the worldview you share, then no one is enlightened by your posting.

Well, I believe there was enlightenment offered in the first post of @jazzlurker that I quoted. Comment #75 of this thread. Humility is a good thing. Recognizing our limitations of knowledge is a good thing, born of humility. It's a wise man who recognizes that, and we can all benefit from understanding those simple truths. In my own humble opinion....

You and I both have more then a little knowledge of American history, and you do a great job of presenting that point of view that recognizes the dangers to our democracy inherent in a Trump presidency. But, I think you are mistaken telling this poster to essentially "get lost". He is not your enemy. I don't believe he said anything that deserves that response.

Why did it take Iraqis so long? America has done nothing but support their oppressors, **** you guys,

Wise words. Reminds me of the story attributed to Socrates on how he concluded he must be the wisest man in the Greek world since he seemed to be the only one who realized that he really didn't know anything at all....

Sounds like you could add a perspective most of us lack. That's a good thing.

Why? You offer a different perspective, don't be reluctant to share it.

Well, I believe there was enlightenment offered in the first post of @jazzlurker that I quoted. Comment #75 of this thread. Humility is a good thing. Recognizing our limitations of knowledge is a good thing, born of humility. It's a wise man who recognizes that, and we can all benefit from understanding those simple truths. In my own humble opinion....

You and I both have more then a little knowledge of American history, and you do a great job of presenting that point of view that recognizes the dangers to our democracy inherent in a Trump presidency. But, I think you are mistaken telling this poster to essentially "get lost". He is not your enemy. I don't believe he said anything that deserves that response.

Was he being serious? I mean, this stuff (see below) is nonsense (feels like trolling) and I truly regret even engaging with him over it:

This guy is pure scum. Hitler level. Puppet master that has lead to the death of millions.... millions. His death doesn’t have to be justified.

Maybe these threads should come with a disclaimer that posters should make it clear that they’re not merely trying to troll?

Last edited:

if trump had said we were going to take out a specific cultural target because it was harboring military assets, there would be a different argument to be had. That is not the case.

It mobilized the enemy and alienates the allies.

there is the obvious moral argument against destroying artifacts of human history. Trump looks at the world as America and others. If you look at humanity you see that Iran has important sites for the world, not just Iran.

destroying sites connected to religions are attacks not on Iran but to non Iranians, alienating moderates and energizing extremists.

Immoral acts alienate our Judeo Christian Allies.

it erodes American support for valid and necessary military action in the region.

Committing a war crime undermines our support for the Geneva convention and takes away our ability to condemn war criminals. We lose the high ground

Iran military leaders by responding to trumps threats to attack cultural targets by saying they would attack only military targets. This was strategically brilliant. Makes the world wonder who are the good guys and who are the bad guys.

Last edited: