What's new

Our off-season salary cap situation

I think it's more likely the Jazz use Booker in a trade to a team looking to shed salary to sign free agents than use their space to sign a significant player themselves. The guarantee date on Booker's contract is 7 days after the July moratorium ends (when players can actually sign), and he comes with only a $250k buyout. The Jazz could then use their remaining cap space to bring over Pleiss, Tomic or both to fill out the bigs rotation.

Note: Booker can be traded for players making up to $7,262,500 in the offseason. The receiving team could then waive Booker for $250,000, creating as much as $7,012,500 in cap space. A very crafty signing by DL.

This.

Unless the Jazz get an all star or borderline all star player, I'll be furious if Booker is let go. Fortunately that seems like the most likely scenario if he isn't back next season

I see one other possibility

The Jazz pay the Luxury Tax. Hear me out.

If you take the long term view paying the luxury tax for a single season in order to get players that are on good long term deals could pay huge dividends. The following year the cap will jump by 20-30 million so they will be well under the cap the following year. If the Jazz are aggressive before the cap goes up they will be loaded with affordable assets in 2017. If the Jazz wait until the cap goes up they will be overpaying every scrub that is left over in 2017.

Those 10 guys come to $52,150,669. Your math was off.
Plus the $2M hold for our first rounder and another $500k for a minimum salary gets us to $54.6M, which I rounded up to $55 in my post.
GVC has an interesting post about helping another team clear space with Booker's contract. But I just don't see the Jazz dumping Booker unless they get a significant upgrade at PF. And all this talk about upgrading the wing completely ignores Alec. DL - and I'm sure Snyder also had input - gave Burks a $10M contract to just push him aside? If they hadn't liked Burks, they would have just let him become a RFA.

Instead of having guys like Clark, Evans, etc. as backups, I'll bet DL will go after a couple more Booker-like players to get minutes in the rotation. Then our deep reserves become Ingles, Millsap, etc. Not sure what is doable, but a trade to "speed things up" might entail bringing in a starting PG and moving Exum back to the bench. AS Lindsey said, Dante is just a placeholder when he's on the floor. Wouldn't surprise me one bit if our significant move is for a PG.

In other words, Hayward's contract has gutted our options, I was fearing this would happen, now what...

If you take the long term view paying the luxury tax for a single season in order to get players that are on good long term deals could pay huge dividends. The following year the cap will jump by 20-30 million so they will be well under the cap the following year. If the Jazz are aggressive before the cap goes up they will be loaded with affordable assets in 2017. If the Jazz wait until the cap goes up they will be overpaying every scrub that is left over in 2017.

As far as that's concerned, I think that the Jazz should use the structure of the Booker contract to create additional flexibility with other players too. As of right now, the Jazz will have a couple of roster spots open for the remainder of this season. I'd fill every single one of them with a veteran player on a one year contract that has an unguaranteed team option for next year. This way, they don't have to renounce their exemptions, and have unguaranteed contracts that can be used in sign-and-trades, or can be cut outright in the event that they make a splash and still want to utilize the Full MLE as well. Of all the years to be creative with the cap, this upcoming offseason is the best time to use it. By trading Kanter, the Jazz only really have Burks and Booker as contracts that can be paired with assets to facilitate a sign and trade to go over the cap. I'd like to see the Jazz create some unguaranteed cap filler to provide some opportunities through trades without sacrificing flexibility as well.

Now you shut up, that's what.

I understand it's frustrating buddy, we'll work this out one way or another. I'm curious as to how much the cap will increase with the new deal. A contending team needs not only one maxed out guy.

As far as that's concerned, I think that the Jazz should use the structure of the Booker contract to create additional flexibility with other players too. As of right now, the Jazz will have a couple of roster spots open for the remainder of this season. I'd fill every single one of them with a veteran player on a one year contract that has an unguaranteed team option for next year. This way, they don't have to renounce their exemptions, and have unguaranteed contracts that can be used in sign-and-trades, or can be cut outright in the event that they make a splash and still want to utilize the Full MLE as well. Of all the years to be creative with the cap, this upcoming offseason is the best time to use it. By trading Kanter, the Jazz only really have Burks and Booker as contracts that can be paired with assets to facilitate a sign and trade to go over the cap. I'd like to see the Jazz create some unguaranteed cap filler to provide some opportunities through trades without sacrificing flexibility as well.

Yep, 2016 is the one and only year I can see the Jazz actually paying luxury tax. If, for instance, DL could land Kawhi by maxing him the cap isn't going to keep him from doing it.

Yep, 2016 is the one and only year I can see the Jazz actually paying luxury tax. If, for instance, DL could land Kawhi by maxing him the cap isn't going to keep him from doing it.

May this be the truth, a wing combo of Hay and Kawhi makes me drool, along with our defensive Favors-Gobert pairing.

Nobody is going to sign Leonard away from Spurs.
He is their key piece once Duncan, Parker, Ginobli are gone.
Spurs will sign him for whatever it takes like Jazz signed Hayward.

Nobody is going to sign Leonard away from Spurs.
He is their key piece once Duncan, Parker, Ginobli are gone.
Spurs will sign him for whatever it takes like Jazz signed Hayward.

I can see that but you still throw him the max offer, although I'm sure that some other team might do it as well. The same way Charlotte screwed us over, but a max offer would be more justified with Kawhi imo.

??? I think you don't understand the meaning of cap. might want to spend some time here. https://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm
In other words, Hayward's contract has gutted our options, I was fearing this would happen, now what...
You really think we should have let Hayward walk at this juncture? I didn't like it at the time, but the crow is tasty now.

The Jazz aren't anywhere near the Luxury Tax, and won't be anywhere near the Luxury Tax for the foreseeable future. You can only go over the cap (well below the Luxury Tax line) to sign your own players, and the Jazz don;t have anyone to re-sign.

Am I crazy to think that Booker might end up a victim of the numbers? DL has allowed for some extra flexibility and he seemed to specifically aim at adding even more of it in the Kanter trade by including Novak's contract in it. It really looks like he's setting up for a big move(or series of small moves?!?).
There just aren't a lot of good free agent options this summer that won't be retained by their own teams (especially with the looming cap increase). As noted, Booker's contract could potentially help the Jazz land an upgrade from a team looking to cut salary to either sign a free agent, get below the luxury tax or prepare for the free agent bonanza of 2016. DL structured his contract the way he did exactly to do just this.

The question is, of course, which players might be made available this offseason? For teams looking to make a splash this summer, it could be anyone; for teams looking to make a splash in 2016, it would have to be a player with 2+ years left on his contract. Anyone come to mind?

With the current Kanter trade and all the discussions going on about who we should get in free agency I decided to make this salary cap thread so people have a better understanding where we are at and what actually is or is not possible.

#1: The situation we will start free agency including our 2015 1st round draft pick.

Z7EDKV.jpg

For cap flexibility purposes we can just straight cut Millsap(even though I can see us keeping him) and Jerrett because we have team options for both players.

#2: So then what it comes down to is our cap hit w/ and w/o Trevor. For that I made this little table which shows how much cap space we have dependent on our draft position.

44XGPM.jpg

In the scenario w/o Trevor he was traded if we weren't able to trade him and we had to cut him you would have to subtract 250K from the cap space.

The max money for next year will be around $15.534.090(my estimation).

As you can see unless we "get rid of" Trevor we don't have anything close to max money. And quite frankly I don't see that happening. I mean why should we? Just a couple of days ago our big positions were a strenght and within 4 month we'll destroy it? I don't tink so.

So yeah there is no available max money. We will have have money to spend between $8.662.787 and $11.884.667! The first figure would be awesome because that would mean we just won the lottery but that's not that realistic. So the most realitic amount would be between $10.624.907 and $11.884.667!
Isn't that bad also is not what people thought. That definitly is not enough for the Butlers and Leonards out there(unrealistic anyways) and I think it's not enough for Matthews and Middleton either.

I think you should have included how the steep rise in the salary cap will influence everything we do with contracts. If we sign a player to the market max this summer, the contract won't hurt at all after next season.

There just aren't a lot of good free agent options this summer that won't be retained by their own teams (especially with the looming cap increase). As noted, Booker's contract could potentially help the Jazz land an upgrade from a team looking to cut salary to either sign a free agent, get below the luxury tax or prepare for the free agent bonanza of 2016. DL structured his contract the way he did exactly to do just this.

The question is, of course, which players might be made available this offseason? For teams looking to make a splash this summer, it could be anyone; for teams looking to make a splash in 2016, it would have to be a player with 2+ years left on his contract. Anyone come to mind?

Thabo Sefolosha? 2 more years on 4M...
Jodie Meeks!!! 2 more years at about 6.5...
Ariza 3 more years at ~8M
JJ Reddick? 2 more years at ~7M
PJ Tucker, 2 year at about 5M

If we want stretch 4:
Patrick Patterson, 2 years at about 6M

Last edited:
The Jazz aren't anywhere near the Luxury Tax, and won't be anywhere near the Luxury Tax for the foreseeable future. You can only go over the cap(well below the Luxury Tax line) to sign your own players, and the Jazz don;t have anyone to re-sign.

I did not know that they had to be your own players. Didn't the Nets go over when they brought in everybody from boston?

I did not know that they had to be your own players. Didn't the Nets go over when they brought in everybody from boston?

They traded salary that matched it up, and gave draft picks as the assets of value for making the trade. The Jazz have to send back nearly equal salary to make any sort of trade that will go over the cap.

That's the only way that OKC could actually acquire Kanter too. They had to send back Perkins to match up the salary since they're operating above the cap.