What's new

Philosophers that interest you, and why (Jazzfanz Philosophy Thread)

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard of Plato, Aristotle, Socrates?

Morons.

Plato, Aristotle, and Socrates were the first three I mentioned. Notice how these three were theists as opposed to Xenophanes, Anaxagoras, Euripides, Leucippus, Democritus, and Aristophanes.

Well, for me there's a lot. I did an MA in philosophy of religion at the University of Chicago Divinity School, and now I'm doing a PhD in Process Studies at Claremont Lincoln University, with an aim of eventually getting hired on as a university professor somewhere (bad as the job prospects are these days, especially in academia). But in any case, knowing philosophy and religion in-depth is more-or-less my job description.

First and foremost is Alfred North Whitehead. He was the father of modern process thought and Claremont is this philosophical school's Mecca. Of course this also means I admire a great deal of his followers, the most prominent of which include Charles Hartshorne, John Cobb, and David Ray Griffin. I could name many others in this tradition, of course.

Then there's the pragmatists and neo-pragmatists. William James, John Dewey, Hilary Putnam, and Richard Rorty are all awesome (although Rorty is much-maligned).

I also love Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a Jesuit priest whose book The Phenomenon of Man got me interested enough in religion for me to want to make a career out of it in the first place.

Emile Durkheim deserves to be mentioned as well. Actually, Durkheim is more of a sociologist than a philosopher, but he fits plenty of philosophy into his sociology.

I've recently become interested in Hans-Georg Gadamer, whose book Truth and Method explores the nature of human understanding.

Judith Butler is my favorite postmodern, post-structuralist thinker.

Lastly -- and these are more theologians than philosophers -- I really appreciate the work of Ivone Gebara and Chung Hyun Kyung.

I could go into why I like each thinker, but I'd be writing all night, and it's late already.

Well, for me there's a lot. I did an MA in philosophy of religion at the University of Chicago Divinity School, and now I'm doing a PhD in Process Studies at Claremont Lincoln University, with an aim of eventually getting hired on as a university professor somewhere (bad as the job prospects are these days, especially in academia). But in any case, knowing philosophy and religion in-depth is more-or-less my job description.

First and foremost is Alfred North Whitehead. He was the father of modern process thought and Claremont is this philosophical school's Mecca. Of course this also means I admire a great deal of his followers, the most prominent of which include Charles Hartshorne, John Cobb, and David Ray Griffin. I could name many others in this tradition, of course.

Then there's the pragmatists and neo-pragmatists. William James, John Dewey, Hilary Putnam, and Richard Rorty are all awesome (although Rorty is much-maligned).

I also love Pierre Teilhard de Chardin, a Jesuit priest whose book The Phenomenon of Man got me interested enough in religion for me to want to make a career out of it in the first place.

Emile Durkheim deserves to be mentioned as well. Actually, Durkheim is more of a sociologist than a philosopher, but he fits plenty of philosophy into his sociology.

I've recently become interested in Hans-Georg Gadamer, whose book Truth and Method explores the nature of human understanding.

Lastly -- and these are more theologians than philosophers -- I really appreciate the work of Ivone Gebara and Chung Hyun Kyung.

I could go into why I like each thinker, but I'd be writing all night, and it's late already.

maybe do that one by one, one day at a time. In month you could work through most of them. . . .

maybe do that one by one, one day at a time. In month you could work through most of them. . . .

Not with end-of-term papers to write! I'm actually on my last semester of coursework before moving on to quals and dissertation. Two 20-pagers due on May 8th, and another one due on the 15th.

BTW, while I'm thinking of it, I managed to worm my way onto the Whitehead Research Project, which is a part of the Center for Process Studies and is working to put together a critical edition of Whitehead, including his correspondence and his students' lecture notes. It'll be a nice thing to have on my resume. But if anyone wants to see a small crappy picture and short bio of me, it's up on the website (I'm second from the bottom among active members -- first editorial assistant). Roland Faber (at the top) is my advisor.

I've never seen you before... don't tell me you changed your Username just to post in this thread. Because it's just perfect for it.

LOL

I've never seen you before... don't tell me you changed your Username just to post in this thread. Because it's just perfect for it.

LOL

I've been around since before the big board crash, and I've had the same username since the beginning. I just haven't posted in two months. Not sure why you've never noticed me before -- I suppose I don't post much in general (the board stats are saying I do 0.43 posts per day). Just busy.

AtheistPreacher is about the most respectable thinker on these forums. He's one of the few who can best me in a rational discourse without once straying from logic and reason. And without using any of the absurd arguments that people use to justify things that have little chance of being true, like appeal to faith or beauty. I love you AP. :..)

By the way, did you end up reading Beginning of Infinity as I recommended? If so, what did you think?

AtheistPreacher is about the most respectable thinker on these forums. He's one of the few who can best me in a rational discourse without once straying from logic and reason. And without using any of the absurd arguments that people use to justify things that have little chance of being true, like appeal to faith or beauty. I love you AP. :..)

By the way, did you end up reading Beginning of Infinity as I recommended? If so, what did you think?

Other than The Black Swordsman.

PS: Half of the reason why I made this thread is so I could hear you guys talk about certain philosophers, mention their ideas so I can pursue some of their works further when the time arises.

I truly know so, so little regarding philosophy, and I have an insatiable longing to know more.

Other than The Black Swordsman.

That's different. TBS transcends human thought. He only debates me out of compassion. It's like when you're playing with a baby, and you respond to the noises he's making as if he's actually saying something.

Why thankee. As for Beginning of Infinity, I did buy it. It's on my shelf. But I have yet to read it. Unfortunately I need to prioritize books needed for my quals.

I am not big into philosophy, but I do appreciate a lot of the stuff they have done, and continue to do. On the very surface, philosophy is intriguing to me, but anything more than a Cliff's Notes version of the basics will make my high-school-diploma-brain explode. The only person I've ever really cared to read about was Rene Descartes. The book I was reading was far too technical for me to understand even a sliver of what it was really talking about, but I still enjoyed it all the same. "I think, therefore I am." is one of the greatest sayings of all time, imo.

Off topic, could any of you imagine being married to NAOS? Wow, that guy is a tool. I mean, I've always known he was a tool, but this thread reminded me that deep down, there's nothing in there but malice, hate, self righteousness, and ego. Quite the cocktail, bro.

Oh, they interest me... just as Tyrone Corbin interests many Jazz fanz.

I noticed that many Christians like to pride themselves on being simple, even when they really aren't. Why is that?

Can you give a quick summary for those of us who don't have the time?

Speaking of, I was just thinking about that PM conversation between TBS and I...

https://jazzfanz.com/showthread.php?9826-Why-I-think-being-a-Muslim-is-rational&p=290932#post290932

Still entertaining.

Could you please elaborate on why you think science agrees more closely to Buddhism? Also I've always thought of Buddhism as more "Philosophy" than "Religion". What's attracted you to Buddhism?

Why only monotheistic faiths? I myself have a heavy leaning towards Buddhism, which is usually regarded as an atheistic religion. I think there is a great amount of truth in Buddhism. Hinduism as well -- a polytheistic faith -- also has a lot of good things to say. In fact, chances are that any religion that has persisted for hundreds or even thousands of years has some important wisdom to impart.

---------------

Moreover, I find modern science to agree much more closely with the Buddhist picture in general than either the Christian or Muslim picture, particularly certain modern developments in physics.

Also re your comment here:

In any case, if one grants your assumption (b), then I would probably grant (a), and (c) would follow. But I don't grant (b).

Science is now starting to discover the fact that the universe had a beginning - the Big Bang theory is now widely believed to have happened - evidenced by the cosmic background radiation, the number of quarsars drop off for redshifts, galaxies moving away from each other, etc, etc.

Last edited: