What's new

Pick is Gordon Hayward; ESA crowd boos

We traded Brewer for money - make no mistake. Otherwise we would not give up talent like that. If this pick becomes no pick, we get 3 mil. With that said, there is a pretty good chance we do get a pick from Memphis. Without Brewer though, and with us surely not paying Korver, we actually could use a decent wing player. As you said, AK is pretty much damaged goods - can't stay healthy at all. So, we really have only Miles at SF spot. So, Hayward fits just fine as we need depth with Korver surely leaving. At least at PF we have Millsap, who delivered 18 and 10 as a starter. Miles sure can use some competition. And at C we already have 2 young guys: Koufos and Fess. I don't think these guys are any less talented than anyone who was left on the board at the position. So, from the needs perspective, in light of who was still available, we did all right.

Are you suggesting that Hayward is as good as Korver? Ha! His CEILING may be at Korver's level... which isn't saying much for the Jazz's choice at #9. If this guy is meant to be Korver's replacement, I hope everyone has a few years to waste while waiting to see how that works out.:rolleyes:

Are you suggesting that Hayward is as good as Korver? Ha! His CEILING may be at Korver's level... which isn't saying much for the Jazz's choice at #9. If this guy is meant to be Korver's replacement, I hope everyone has a few years to waste while waiting to see how that works out.:rolleyes:

If people think this guy is as good as Korver then I have some swamp land I am willing to sell at a reasonable price.

If people think this guy is as good as Korver then I have some swamp land I am willing to sell at a reasonable price.

I agree... but I keep seeing posts that suggest the Hayward pick makes Korver expendable. Seems to me, the Hayward pick does one thing... makes the Jazz look STUPID!

While I still think Henry might be a better prospect, Hayward is not as bad a pick as some of you make it sound. The guy just led his team to a near NCAA title - where he was #1 guy on the team in just his second year at 20. This has to count for something. And this was no fluke either as they had 25 game winning streak along the way. He also won a state championship in HS. He also won world under 19 championship and made all tournament team. I just don't think we can discount these accomplishments. Hayward has pretty impressive resume, and physically he's got some size and strength as well. 6-8, bench pressing 10 times is nothing to sneeze at. I just looked at combine results, and while he is a little behind a freak like Wesley Johnson, he compares favorably to Turner and Aminu. The kid's got some athleticism. Wingspan sucks, but great no step vertical. Notice his rebounding numbers as well: he is right there with PFs/Cs in the draft.

Surely I wanted someone better at 9, but out of what was left, we did not do too bad.

I hope Hayward will translate his game to Jazz game in a short time and will contribute to the team at a high level.

...this kid is NBA "ready" and certainly Jazz "ready!" He will step RIGHT IN, fill a need and in all probability be playing heavy minutes and be on the court at the end of each game by the All-Star break! This was the most obvious Jazz pick in the entire draft! He should have "Jazz Man" tattooed to his chest...even though he has no jailhouse tats! For Jazzfan purists.....this is the best pick possible at the 9th spot! He will continue to perpetuate Jazz basketball....and keep us from going "hip hop" for at least another year!

We would have been much better off if we would have drafted a big guy and just kept Korver if we needed another wing. We don't have any options to fill our need for a big man as cheap as keeping Korver would have been.

We already have guys on the roster for cheap that are just as good as C prospects that were available. Memo will be back at some point, but even without him we have Fess and Koko. That's two young guys who are just as good as anyone who was left in the draft at C. And Korver is not going to be cheap. He will probably end up with mid-level exception for a contending team. It is a moot point though, since drafting a 3d prospect C is just not a very good move, unless you think that prospect is really awesome. And I don't think any awesome C prospects were on the board when we picked.

We already have guys on the roster for cheap that are just as good as C prospects that were available. Memo will be back at some point, but even without him we have Fess and Koko. That's two young guys who are just as good as anyone who was left in the draft at C. And Korver is not going to be cheap. He will probably end up with mid-level exception for a contending team. It is a moot point though, since drafting a 3d prospect C is just not a very good move, unless you think that prospect is really awesome. And I don't think any awesome C prospects were on the board when we picked.

Fes and Koufos were better than available at 9........ NO!

There just has to be a trade in the works. There is no way this pick makes any sense without a trade.

#1: Hayward at #9 is insane.
#2: We have so much depth at that spot we had to give Brewer away.
#3: Okur is coming off a possible career ending injury.
#4: Boozer is a free agent.
#5: AK can't even stay healthy at sf, no way he can bang at pf all season.

Just a mind blowing pick. And I'm not even saying the guy will suck, just saying the Jazz clearly have other needs, and there were other players on the board that will be just as good (or better) and fill a need for the Jazz.

Unbelievable pick. Worthy of someone getting fired even.

And Deron has been screaming for a shot blocker. The move was to trade up and get Udoh. Hell, even draft Davis or freakin' Aldrich. I'll bet Williams is on the phone right now asking for a trade.

We traded Brewer for money - make no mistake. Otherwise we would not give up talent like that. If this pick becomes no pick, we get 3 mil. With that said, there is a pretty good chance we do get a pick from Memphis. Without Brewer though, and with us surely not paying Korver, we actually could use a decent wing player.
Unfortunately, Hayward will be a decent wing player on one end of the court at most--and that's if he can improve on the 30% three-point shooting he managed this year, but at a longer NBA distance.

As you said, AK is pretty much damaged goods - can't stay healthy at all. So, we really have only Miles at SF spot. So, Hayward fits just fine as we need depth with Korver surely leaving. At least at PF we have Millsap, who delivered 18 and 10 as a starter. Miles sure can use some competition. And at C we already have 2 young guys: Koufos and Fess. I don't think these guys are any less talented than anyone who was left on the board at the position. So, from the needs perspective, in light of who was still available, we did all right.
Paul George was available. Similar to better athleticism, similar to better shooting, and more upside. But KOC liked Hayward's "character." But it's not like Paul George = Robert Whaley. Utah would be well served by a little more edginess anyway. Instead, they go with a taller version of Malcolm in the Middle.

Fes and Koufos were better than available at 9........ NO!
I've been one of the most vocal Fesenkophiles on this board (and its last incarnation), and I would say that Ed Davis--if he stays healthy--has more upside than Fesenko (and of course KK2). Paul George might. Hayward does not. All three were available.

We still have to either sign Boozer or replace him too. So it's more than just maybe having to replace Okur, but also Boozer.

We really needed to draft a big guy. Especially when some of the big guys on the board were at least comparable in talent level, and rated higher than Hayward on almost every mock draft.

Unfortunately, Hayward will be a decent wing player on one end of the court at most--and that's if he can improve on the 30% three-point shooting he managed this year, but at a longer NBA distance.

He shot 45% in his first year from the 3. So, I would not discount his 3 point shooting abilities just yet. Sure, it is a question mark, but Hayward sure did enough good things in other areas to lead his team to a title game.

Paul George was available. Similar to better athleticism, similar to better shooting, and more upside. But KOC liked Hayward's "character." But it's not like Paul George = Robert Whaley. Utah would be well served by a little more edginess anyway. Instead, they go with a taller version of Malcolm in the Middle.

George shot 42% OVERALL for a crappy school, which is not even ranked. I sure am glad you are not our GM.

We still have to either sign Boozer or replace him too. So it's more than just maybe having to replace Okur, but also Boozer.

We really needed to draft a big guy. Especially when some of the big guys on the board were at least comparable in talent level, and rated higher than Hayward on almost every mock draft.

I agree, and I've been saying last summer (posting as skorol before the profiles were wiped out) that we need Booz and that we should extended him when his stock was at all time low - year ago, not when it is at all time high (now). I feel we have to get Booz back even now or at least trade him for a comparable player. With that said, we are paying good money to Millsap. So, getting PF to me was not a need. I know we can count on Millsap to deliver 18 and 10, as he did that when Booz was out. Miles on the other hand is much less consistent and can use competition. C is a need, I agree with you, but scrubs that were left are simply replication of Koufos/Fess, and I just felt it was not wise to take yet another gamble on someone like Aldrich and have him play in DLeague. Hayward, on the other hand, seems like he might actually take Miles' spot at SF. The guy accomplished a lot - read my other post. He won at HS. He won at World championships. And now he actually was THE leader of his team to NCAA title game, with 25 game winning streak in the process. As a 20 year old sophmore. This cannot just be easily discounted.

I've been one of the most vocal Fesenkophiles on this board (and its last incarnation), and I would say that Ed Davis--if he stays healthy--has more upside than Fesenko (and of course KK2). Paul George might. Hayward does not. All three were available.

For the last time, George shot 42% from Forward spot for a piece of garbage school. You must be insane to think he is a better pick than Hayward. As far as Ed Davis, what has he done to deserve high accolades? He couldn't even lead his school to being ranked. His numbers are mediocre. 13.5 and 9.5 for a non ranked school as a junior is not exactly amazing. Even with 2.7 blocks to boot. Koufos is the same age as him now and had a better career as a freshman than Ed as a junior. The guys you are mentioning are just not better prospects than Hayward.

I agree, and I've been saying last summer (posting as skorol before the profiles were wiped out) that we need Booz and that we should extended him when his stock was at all time low - year ago, not when it is at all time high (now). I feel we have to get Booz back even now or at least trade him for a comparable player. With that said, we are paying good money to Millsap. So, getting PF to me was not a need. I know we can count on Millsap to deliver 18 and 10, as he did that when Booz was out. Miles on the other hand is much less consistent and can use competition. C is a need, I agree with you, but scrubs that were left are simply replication of Koufos/Fess, and I just felt it was not wise to take yet another gamble on someone like Aldrich and have him play in DLeague. Hayward, on the other hand, seems like he might actually take Miles' spot at SF. The guy accomplished a lot - read my other post. He won at HS. He won at World championships. And now he actually was THE leader of his team to NCAA title game, with 25 game winning streak in the process. As a 20 year old sophmore. This cannot just be easily discounted.

I agree that he accomplished a lot. But it doesn't change the fact that if Boozer walks and Okur isn't the same as he was he used to be, the Jazz are a lottery team.

There were at least 3 or 4 pf and c that the Jazz could have taken to replace Boozer and/or Okur, who were all comparable in talent to Hayward.

Also, on Miles, I thought he was pretty darn good in the playoffs. He struggled earlier in the season because he was injured early and then had his role change a couple of times. But in the playoffs he was very good, both offensively and defensively.

Well it's nice to know you're skorol, because your opinion on these things has historically been better than just about anyone else's on the board, so at least that gives me some hope. I hope you're right this time, as you have been in the past...