What's new

Pick is Gordon Hayward; ESA crowd boos

"Coach Jerry Sloan said the boos comprised a “natural reaction” for fans who “aren’t familiar with what we’re trying to accomplish. We’re trying to get the best player, and sometimes that’s not who everybody wanted.”

The Jazz wanted Hayward, though, for his versatility, intelligence and ball-handling...They believed Hayward was the best player on the floor while leading the Bulldogs through the West Regional of the NCAA Tournament at EnergySolutions Arena in March, and said that every coach with whom they spoke praised Hayward as “the kind of kid that everybody should want on their team, because not only is he a guy that makes everyone better but he’s really a good player by himself.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/49824032-76/hayward-jazz-pick-connor.html.csp?page=1

Mebbe that's why Deron was excited about him, eh?

"Coach Jerry Sloan said the boos comprised a “natural reaction” for fans who “aren’t familiar with what we’re trying to accomplish. We’re trying to get the best player, and sometimes that’s not who everybody wanted.”

The Jazz wanted Hayward, though, for his versatility, intelligence and ball-handling...They believed Hayward was the best player on the floor while leading the Bulldogs through the West Regional of the NCAA Tournament at EnergySolutions Arena in March, and said that every coach with whom they spoke praised Hayward as “the kind of kid that everybody should want on their team, because not only is he a guy that makes everyone better but he’s really a good player by himself.”

https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/49824032-76/hayward-jazz-pick-connor.html.csp?page=1

Or it is because Deron knows the PC thing to say? What is he supposed to say? Hayward was a terrible pick. Bye bye Deron. Hope you win elsewhere.

Well Sloan is right about one thing... fans aren't familiar with what in the holy hell they are trying to accomplish!!

No way Hayward was the 'best player' at #9.

Says there: "Put it all together, and Hayward just might end up being the best small forward out of this year's class." This guy sounds like an even bigger fool than Sloan, eh?

Well we just gave away a young sf who was a lottery pick himself a few years ago because we supposedly had too much depth at the position. And our starting center just had the same injury that ruined Elton Brand (who was much better than Okur before his injury). And our starting power forward is about to leave as a free agent.

All things considered, drafting a sf seems like a big mistake unless we have another move planned. Unless the kid turns out to be a superstar or something, but that looks pretty unlikely.

Two years in a row the Jazz pick who I wanted. And just as that pick has to be looked on as a good pick considering the picks that came after it, and was hated by this board, this one was will be as well. Kid's a baller.

I agree that he accomplished a lot. But it doesn't change the fact that if Boozer walks and Okur isn't the same as he was he used to be, the Jazz are a lottery team.

There were at least 3 or 4 pf and c that the Jazz could have taken to replace Boozer and/or Okur, who were all comparable in talent to Hayward.

Also, on Miles, I thought he was pretty darn good in the playoffs. He struggled earlier in the season because he was injured early and then had his role change a couple of times. But in the playoffs he was very good, both offensively and defensively.

Well it's nice to know you're skorol, because your opinion on these things has historically been better than just about anyone else's on the board, so at least that gives me some hope. I hope you're right this time, as you have been in the past...

It's pretty much given Okur will not be the same. Not that he was a difference maker to begin with. If Booz walks though, we are going to be in lottery regardless of whom we picked. All these big guys: Davis, Aldridge are just not such hot prospects who can replace him. Millsap can though, so let's see how that works out. I still hope we will not lose Booz though for nothing. The fact Nets picked some pathetic scrub at PF very high in the draft gives me hope they will not go after Booz. That's one less suitor. Although Chicago might now be the front runner.

To me Wall, Turner, and Cousins were the top 3 guys of the drafts. After them there is a significant drop off in probability of success. Favors reminds of hype Darko Milicic received, with nothing produced on the court to back it up. Udoha and Johnson both had only 1 good year in NCAA, and they are 23. That's 3 years older than Hayward, who had a similar year at 20 as they did at 23. So, outside of these 3 you are really looking at a second tier of the draft, and if you want to pick the guy who has the best star potential, while still producing solid numbers to avoid a total bust, you have to look at guys like Henry, Hayward, Monroe, and Aminu. Out of these, Henry and Hayward actually led their teams to be good. So, I would say Hayward is as good a pick as any after the top 3. Maybe Henry is more intriguing due to better athleticism, but more of a risk too. I don't think we did too bad. Normally, with international players, HS players, and teams drafting on potential, Hayward would probably slip to late teens and be a steal there - like Jameer Nelson was. But in this draft, as I am looking at the talent, Hayward has to be top 5 - even if mock drafts didn't project him as such.

Well, the Jazz have long needed someone who can handle, pass and create from the SG position. Hopefully, Hayward is that guy. I'll go watch some video and try to get excited.

I know what you're all thinkin...you're thinkin mebbe, if ya hurry, it aint too late. WRONG!

I just sewed up the registration name for Haywardsucks.com.

Thanks for playin....chumps.