What's new

Pick is Gordon Hayward; ESA crowd boos

"Coach Jerry Sloan said the boos comprised a “natural reaction” for fans who “aren’t familiar with what we’re trying to accomplish. We’re trying to get the best player, and sometimes that’s not who everybody wanted.”
As has been stated, with some of the in-game and off-season decisions, fans do sometimes wonder what the Jazz are doing.

But the booing came because fans don't believe that this was the best player available. Probably not at the wing or at the 4/5.

I was at the ESA, I booed. The guy behind me yelled oh, sh**, and there was a loud he** no.

Whoever claimed that Jazzfanz have no class? I betcha no other draftee got that spirited of a response tonight. Welcome aboard, noob!

We know how to win a championship now.

We poison all of the canned soup in Utah, then it will kill off all of the KOC-loving fools, and hopefully KOC himself. Then we can bring in Pritchard.

I think the Jazz might have had a shot of trading with GS to get Monroe and give GS Udoh and who knows what, but probably the Jazz were not too high on Monroe. It would be asking the Jazz who they really wanted. Obviously, they didn't really want Ed Davis.

So really, it came down to the George, Henry, Babbit & Hayward group. The Jazz had their pick of the crop...

I am now a huge Hayward fan. I hope he turns out Awesome! I think he will surprise us with how good he is. Takes some talent to take a team like butler to the finals and almost win it on a half court shot.

Takes some talent to take a team like butler to the finals and almost win it on a half court shot.

If he really had talent, they wouldn't have lost in the finals. Deron Williams took his team to the finals, too, but, just like this chump, he lost. And, after 5 whole years with the team, just where has that loser taken the Jazz, eh?

Q.E.D.

Well we just gave away a young sf who was a lottery pick himself a few years ago because we supposedly had too much depth at the position. And our starting center just had the same injury that ruined Elton Brand (who was much better than Okur before his injury). And our starting power forward is about to leave as a free agent.

....Dawg!....why so pessimistic? Not to worry....the NBA is going on a long, long, long, long, hiatus when the owners lock them out in 2011!

....Dawg!....why so pessimistic? Not to worry....the NBA is going on a long, long, long, long, hiatus when the owners lock them out in 2011!

If we keep Boozer I won't be pessimistic. But the chances of that happening are pretty low. So we know we need a pf, and probably need a c (no way Okur fully recovers). In that case, drafting a sf was pretty dumb. Unless the kid turns out to be a star, which is pretty unlikely.

CJ Miles was playing very well int he playoffs too, so it makes the pick even more baffling.

If we keep Boozer I won't be pessimistic. But the chances of that happening are pretty low. So we know we need a pf, and probably need a c (no way Okur fully recovers). In that case, drafting a sf was pretty dumb. Unless the kid turns out to be a star, which is pretty unlikely.

CJ Miles was playing very well int he playoffs too, so it makes the pick even more baffling.

This is why I think the Jazz will look into trading Kirilenko. Lose his contract so that Jazz can resign Boozer. Run Miles, Matthews and Hayward in the wing rotation. Maybe Korver if the Jazz trade Kirilenko before Korver signs elsewhere.

This is why I think the Jazz will look into trading Kirilenko. Lose his contract so that Jazz can resign Boozer. Run Miles, Matthews and Hayward in the wing rotation. Maybe Korver if the Jazz trade Kirilenko before Korver signs elsewhere.
If that Jazz make a trade then that obviously changes my opinion on this pick as well. In fact, some sort of trade is about the only way this pick makes any sense to me.

How about we look at the positives of this pick for a sec.

#1. We drafted the best player available, the first rule of the lottery.
#2. He grew up a guard. He has good handles and can see the floor well. He has a high BB IQ and good court vision and can take some pressure off Deron. Finally, a wing that can handle the ball well.
#3. He can shoot and score. I don't care what his stats were last year. He can shoot from all over the floor. He can take it off the dribble too.
#4. He can rebound. We've been lacking a rebounding wing and offensive rebounding has been a problem. He addresses this issue.
#5. He's a winner. He led his highschool team to the state championship in Indiana, a huge HS basketball state. He also led Baylor to the NCAA National Championship game.

I'm disappointed we didn't get that big man we all wanted, but it just didn't work out. All the quality big guys were off the board, so it goes. I doubt Hayward would've been around past 10, Indiana would've grabbed him for sure.

I'm excited to see him play. He has the reputation as a hard worker and a fast learner. I think the Jazz coaching staff can really make this kid good.

4 picks? No it's not, unless it's at the front of the lottery.

#13s

2009 Tyler Hanborough
2008 Brandon Rush
2007 Julian Wright
2006 Thabo Sefolosha
2005 Sean May
2004 Sebastian Telfair
2003 Marcus Banks
2002 Marcus Haslip
2001 Richard Jefferson
2000 Courtney Alexander

#9s
2009 DeMar DeRozan
2008 DJ Augistine
2007 Joakim Noah
2006 Patrik O'Bryant
2005 Ike Diogu
2004 Andre Iguadala
2003 Mike Sweetney
2002 Amare Stoudemire
2001 Rodney White
2000 Joel Przybilla

Darkwing must not have actually looked back to see what the difference between #9 and #13 is. It's "only" 4 picks but I'm seeing a pretty good difference.
There's only 1 good player in the last 10 years to have come from #13, Richard Jefferson. the others are either heading out of the league or already gone. Meanwhile, @ #9 there are two all-stars, one is one of the best PFs in the game, and several players that are quite serviceable, such as Joel Przybilla and Joakim Noah.

Just take the top 3 players from each category, 4 picks is the difference between Richard Jefferson and Amare Stoudemire. 4 picks is the difference between Andre Iguadala and Sebastian Telfair. 4 picks is the difference between Joakim Noah and Marcus Banks.

So yes, 4 picks DOES make a difference.

Last edited:
#13s

2009 Tyler Hanborough
2008 Brandon Rush
2007 Julian Wright
2006 Thabo Sefolosha
2005 Sean May
2004 Sebastian Telfair
2003 Marcus Banks
2002 Marcus Haslip
2001 Richard Jefferson
2000 Courtney Alexander

#9s
2009 DeMar DeRozan
2008 DJ Augistine
2007 Joakim Noah
2006 Patrik O'Bryant
2005 Ike Diogu
2004 Andre Iguadala
2003 Mike Sweetney
2002 Amare Stoudemire
2001 Rodney White
2000 Joel Przybilla

Darkwing must not have actually looked back to see what the difference between #9 and #13 is. It's "only" 4 picks but I'm seeing a pretty good difference.
There's only 1 good player in the last 10 years to have come from #13, Richard Jefferson. the others are either heading out of the league or already gone. Meanwhile, @ #9 there are two all-stars, one is one of the best PFs in the game, and several players that are quite serviceable, such as Joel Przybilla and Joakim Noah.

Just take the top 3 players from each category, 4 picks is the difference between Richard Jefferson and Amare Stoudemire. 4 picks is the difference between Andre Iguadala and Sebastian Telfair. 4 picks is the difference between Joakim Noah and Marcus Banks.

So yes, 4 picks DOES make a difference.

We've been discussion projected picks, not actual picks.

I'd give more credence to your argument if you find who was projected in the #9 and #13 spots from all those previous mock drafts that determined the aggregate. We have no idea how Hayward will stack up to the #9 or #13 lists as of yet. In other words, where were all those #9 picks projected to go? How have players done who were projected to go #13? How have players done that were projected to go four or more picks higher than they were projected? The only sample I can think of off hand is Jason Thompson. And that ended up good. Maybe Reddick was taken that many higher than projected. I think Araujo and Sene were recently. Don't know if they were four picks higher than projected.