Playoff Rotations

fishonjazz

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
I always hear that teams tighten up the rotations (and give heavier minutes to their heavier hitters) during the playoffs.
With the playoffs around the corner what is everyones thoughts on what they think the rotations should or will look like?
Im assuming Korver, favors, Rubio, and jae will all be healthy come playoff time. (Hoping at least)

Whats the typical man rotation in playoffs? 9?
So that basically means a starter and back up at each position except 1.
Rubio/Neto
Spida/Korver?
Ingles/Royce?
Favors/Jae
Gobert/Favors

Or does neto not get in the rotation and we just use Donovan to back up Rubio?
What do the minutes look like?
Does this all depend too much on matchups or do you think Quin already has his rotation mostly determined at this point in the season and matchups wont make too much difference?
Maybe discuss the rotation based off a matchup against Portland as that is who we are most likely to draw and in a game that is going down to the wire. For matchup sake here is the likely rotation for Portland. (I don't follow them close enough to know this info so im mostly going off box scores, minutes, and positions)
Lillard, seth curry
mccollum (he has been out but should be ready for playoffs), Rodney hood
Harkless, evan turner.
Aminu, Collins
Kanter, leonard.

With that in mind im thinking Quin does something like:
Rubio 35 minutes, neto 10 minutes, and 3 minutes with no point guard (Joe or spida running things)
Spida 37 minutes, Korver 11 minutes
Jingles 29 minutes, Royce 19 minutes
Favors 17 minutes, Jae 31 minutes
Gobert 38 minutes, favors 10 minutes
Maybe a bit less minutes for Rubio but I think the others would be about right.
What I would like to see is a few minutes less for gobert (maybe 35 or 36) and a few more for favors (closer to 30) and a couple less for jingles and a couple more for Royce.

Of course how guys play will effect it somewhat but I think Thabo, niang, grayson, udoh, (and of course Bradley, naz, and Cavanaugh) wouldn't see the court ideally.

I think we can get away with staying big at the 4 and 5 more as I think their stretchy bigs are not particularly quick so favors can guard them outside and we can get away with going small at the pg and sg rotations more since they play smaller quicker guys there too. I think this works in our advantage and we should be able to beat them.

Discuss (if ya want)

Neto won't get minutes (or maybe just a couple of minutes). PG minutes will be split between Rubio and Mitchell. Korver will be played 10-15 minutes because the opposing offense will constantly attack him.

Neto won't get minutes (or maybe just a couple of minutes). PG minutes will be split between Rubio and Mitchell. Korver will be played 10-15 minutes because the opposing offense will constantly attack him.
I think you might be right about neto. I have been impressed by korvers defense though and think he can hang with hood enough not to hurt us.
I agree with 10-15 minutes though. Not cause of poor defense but just cause he is 37 years old and we have other good wings that will put minutes to better use.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I'd wager that Korver will get a lot more than 10-15 minutes. This is especially easy to wager if you figure that Donovan will be soaking up back-up minutes at the PG, which would open up minutes on the wing.

I look for the starters to all average around 35mpg or more. Favors will probably play a bit less than that, but will soak up 100% of the minutes at back-up Center (health and foul trouble, permitting). Gotta find a way to get Korver 20+ish.

EDIT:
Neto gets spot minutes
Tightened rotation squeezes out Niang, Udoh, and Allen.
O'Neale's minutes probably fluctuate more than any other player based on matchups.
I hope they find ways of getting Thabo on the floor. He's still very effective defensively and is shooting a great percentage on his catch-n-shoot 3s.

Last edited:
One interesting dynamic in a series vs Portland could be what is needed more, korvers shooting/points or Royce defense? Can Royce guard cj or Lillard?

I'd wager that Korver will get a lot more than 10-15 minutes. This is especially easy to wager if you figure that Donovan will be soaking up back-up minutes at the PG, which would open up minutes on the wing.

I look for the starters to all average around 35mpg or more. Favors will probably play a bit less than that, but will soak up 100% of the minutes at back-up Center (health and foul trouble, permitting). Gotta find a way to get Korver 20+ish.

EDIT:
Neto gets spot minutes
Tightened rotation squeezes out Niang, Udoh, and Allen.
O'Neale's minutes probably fluctuate more than any other player based on matchups.
I hope they find ways of getting Thabo on the floor. He's still very effective defensively and is shooting a great percentage on his catch-n-shoot 3s.

Udoh and Allen are already out of the rotation when everyone is healthy. Mitchell will play closer to 40 minutes. Bet Rubio will get more than 35.

Rubio 36 - Mitchell 12
Mitchell 28 - Royce + Korver 20
Ingles 25 - Royce + Jae + Korver 23
Favors 24 - Royce + Jae + Ingles 24
Gobert 38 - Favors 10

One interesting dynamic in a series vs Portland could be what is needed more, korvers shooting/points or Royce defense? Can Royce guard cj or Lillard?

I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves and mark Portland as our opponent. I'm worried AF about 3 of our last 4 games. We've got a ******** of work left in front of us, and our depth is pushed to the limit right now.

I wouldn't get too ahead of ourselves and mark Portland as our opponent. I'm worried AF about 3 of our last 4 games. We've got a ******** of work left in front of us, and our depth is pushed to the limit right now.
Agreed. Hoping Denver can help by beating Portland twice. Houston needs to keep winning. Teams below us can help by getting some losses.... But ya, jazz need to keep winning and these last 4 games are worrisome when the poor health we are in currently. Hopefully we see some guys come back tonight and that these injuries are very minor

Rubio 36 - Mitchell 12
Mitchell 28 - Royce + Korver 20
Ingles 25 - Royce + Jae + Korver 23
Favors 24 - Royce + Jae + Ingles 24
Gobert 38 - Favors 10

I don't think we'll see Jae playing the 3 at all. I also doubt we see much of Royce or Ingles at the 4.

I don't think we'll see Jae playing the 3 at all. I also doubt we see much of Royce or Ingles at the 4.
Agreed
I really like the matchups with Portland. Really hoping we get them. Lillard is a nightmare obviously but most playoff teams have at least one nightmare for us. I like our chances against Portland if we can get healthy

Agreed
I really like the matchups with Portland. Really hoping we get them. Lillard is a nightmare obviously but most playoff teams have at least one nightmare for us. I like our chances against Portland if we can get healthy

Portland is definitely the best case scenario for us, especially now that Nurkic is out. With all these injuries I just hope we're able to fend off the Clippers and stay in 5th.

Last edited:
It obviously depends, but against bench units, Korver >>> O’ Neale. Korver is a straight-up weapon.

Perhaps, but O'Neale isn't exatly a slouch either. Probably more Korver > O'Neale in that scenario, but there are scenarios where I take O'Neale as well. It's a damn good problem to have.

Reactions: RJF
With that in mind im thinking Quin does something like:
Rubio 35 minutes, neto 10 minutes, and 3 minutes with no point guard (Joe or spida running things)
Spida 37 minutes, Korver 11 minutes
Jingles 29 minutes, Royce 19 minutes
Favors 17 minutes, Jae 31 minutes
Gobert 38 minutes, favors 10 minutes
Maybe a bit less minutes for Rubio but I think the others would be about right.
What I would like to see is a few minutes less for gobert (maybe 35 or 36) and a few more for favors (closer to 30) and a couple less for jingles and a couple more for Royce.

Ingles will play closer to 35 minutes than 30.

I really hope both Rubio and Neto can stay healthy throughout the playoffs and not miss any games. I realize this is probably asking too much.