What's new
  • This thread contains opinions and information that likely IS NOT ACCURATE. Do your own research on such an important topic on a site other than JazzFanz.com, please.

Politicians are Birds.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Less than 1% of all the species that have gone extinct, but possibly more than any other species.
I meant ants and termites vs humans. Which one has driven the most species extinct? And which one destroys their environment to the point of threatening their own, and other species existence. It's pretty hard to argue that humans are better for the planet than no humans. No humans, no plastic waste, no fossil fuels, no deforestation, no hunting animals to the brink of extinction for fashion, no artificial destruction of wetlands, and the list goes on. Very tough to argue that the planet would not be better off without humans.

One Brow

Christians can be marginally repentant drunks, marginally reformed cannibals, drug addicts praying and giving themselves to Jesus. Jesus has no threshold for his definition, actually, beyond anyonne interrupted by a passing thought of how their life stinks or how they've messed up somehow.
Agreed.

But still, Abraham camped by the trail on the plains saw Jehovah, at that time, walking up the trail with an Angel at his side, both of whom came in and sat down and ate a pretty good meal of bread and steak. Maybe cake.

How the world misses the logic about a God who that much like us is simply beyond me.
Agreed again.

One Brow

I meant ants and termites vs humans. Which one has driven the most species extinct?
Both ants and termites aee pretty agreesive,and have been around for longer, but likely humans.

And which one destroys their environment to the point of threatening their own, and other species existence.
All three are more than capable of doing this. Resource depletion can happen to any living thing.

It's pretty hard to argue that humans are better for the planet than no humans. No humans, no plastic waste, no fossil fuels, no deforestation, no hunting animals to the brink of extinction for fashion, no artificial destruction of wetlands, and the list goes on. Very tough to argue that the planet would not be better off without humans.
The planet doesn't care, and life will adapt. The real questions is whether our civilization will.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Both ants and termites aee pretty agreesive,and have been around for longer, but likely humans.

All three are more than capable of doing this. Resource depletion can happen to any living thing.

The planet doesn't care, and life will adapt. The real questions is whether our civilization will.
You're dancing around the question.

Does it matter if civilization adapts or survives, on a geologic scale? Will it be better for the planet as a whole if humans were eradicated?

MT Steve

Contributor
Serious question: what is the worst thing that would happen if people went extinct? Is there any intrinsic value in a human being, and if so what is it? We are destructive by nature. If the goal is the save the world shouldn't the process include eradicating the humans, since they are the most destructive species? Why are we concerned about propagating our species at all anyway?
Gave me chills.

You'd make a really good supervillain.

babe

Does it matter if civilization adapts or survives, on a geologic scale? Will it be better for the planet as a whole if humans were eradicated?
Actually, some mold species are able to beat down bacteria pretty good. Almost every living thing has competitors,, predators, and disease vulnerabilities to pathogens.

I think your angst would be better..... more effectively..... aimed at corporate boards. The guys who give donations to all the environmental groups, who lobby for all the regulations it takes to keep new competitors out of the game, who do the whole cartel strategy replete with price wars. If you just can't deal with all that complexity, you could round it all out with CCP, probably the most highly concentrated powerbase threatening Nature, the Earth, or the Brit-Am Dynasty.

But, yes, they are humans too.

LogGrad98

Contributor
2020-21 Award Winner
Actually, some mold species are able to beat down bacteria pretty good. Almost every living thing has competitors,, predators, and disease vulnerabilities to pathogens.

I think your angst would be better..... more effectively..... aimed at corporate boards. The guys who give donations to all the environmental groups, who lobby for all the regulations it takes to keep new competitors out of the game, who do the whole cartel strategy replete with price wars. If you just can't deal with all that complexity, you could round it all out with CCP, probably the most highly concentrated powerbase threatening Nature, the Earth, or the Brit-Am Dynasty.

But, yes, they are humans too.
No Angst. Just nihilism.

Red

Serious question: what is the worst thing that would happen if people went extinct? Is there any intrinsic value in a human being, and if so what is it? We are destructive by nature. If the goal is the save the world shouldn't the process include eradicating the humans, since they are the most destructive species? Why are we concerned about propagating our species at all anyway?
Well, other human species have gone extinct. Although we bred with some of them, so I’m not clear on just how “separate” these other humans were. I believe all people of European descent have some Neanderthal ancestry, and all Tibetans and Pacific Islanders have some Denisovan ancestry. However you slice it, we are the last man standing at the moment. No room for error!

We Homo sapiens didn't used to be alone. Long ago, there was a lot more human diversity; Homo sapiens lived alongside an estimated eight now-extinct species of human about 300,000 years ago. As recently as 15,000 years ago, we were sharing caves with another human species known as the Denisovans. And fossilized remains indicate an even higher number of early human species once populated Earth before our species came along.

"We have one human species right now, and historically, that's really weird," said Nick Longrich, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Bath in the United Kingdom. "Not that far back, we weren't that special, but now we're the only ones left."

Last edited:

babe

Some believe aborigine peoples along the Pacific Rim are related. Philippine Negrito groups are thought to be the first arrivers, and some try to relate them to the Australian aborigine.

Philippine Ayta Negritos from Zambala Province have pretty strong Denisovan roots. Next is a group from Papua New Guinea. The Australian Aborigines, much less. Melanesia and Fiji have notable roots as well.

Lots of stuff coming out about the Philippines. Negritos are generally now in remote areas, but settlement of central Luzon was a tough fight for the Malayan and Spanish settlers.

Reactions: Red

One Brow

Sorry, I thought I was being clear.

It makes no difference to the planet if we survive or die off, or even if we never existed. Biomes change, populations adapt or perish, life continues. It happened long before we came along, and will keep happening.

If you limit your query in certain ways, then you could say amphibians are much worse off, while cows have flourished with us around.

babe

I suspect that homo sapiens likely made the other human races extinct. We are a cruel, aggressive species after all.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app
Could be. But with evidence persisting that there were mixed marriages you might think otherwise, in some cases at least. Tribal groups with trade and social relations across probably significant distances, sharing technologies like say techniques for making useful tools out of rocks like obsidian.

One thing about humans. They clearly can think or believe almost anything.