What's new

Poll: Should the Jazz Match Hayward's $15.75 a year/4 year Contract?

Should They Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I will simplify it even further for you.

You should give me 100 dollars.

What are the issues?

Will you giving me 100 dollars prevent you from paying your phone bill? No it wont so you should just give it to me

What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Re-signing Hayward will keep the team from taking a step back. Giving you $100 doesn't make sense, although I should give $100 to your mom. She is worth it.

I can just see it. Not signing Hayward will cause the Jazz to sign another group of old or subpar players. They will end up starting over our young talent. It will be frustrating.

Ugh.

What would you call Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, 3-4 years ago?

Yup. Subpar.

Additionally, the Jazz have about $37M in contracts once we sign Hood and Exum. We have to spend 90% of the $63M cap (about $57M).

If you don't pay it to Hayward, who do you pay it to? I don't want them to sign a few veterans that will take more playing time from our young core, and knowing the Jazz, that is what they do. I don't want more Richard Jefferson types that won't help us develop our young guys.

Lets keep our young core intact and grow into something special.

pls stop. TIA

What would you call Danny Green, Tiago Splitter, Boris Diaw, Patty Mills, 3-4 years ago?

Yup. Subpar.

I call them a bunch of good players that don't play for the Jazz.

Richard Jefferson, Marvin Williams. John Lucas, Milt Palacios, Randy Foye, Tinsley, Watson, Raja Bell. Based on history, this is the type of player we will land. Look, if we can get any GOOD RFAs/FAs that can plug a gap left by Hayward for less, than do it.

The fact is the Jazz are going to do what they are going to do. If they don't re-sign him, I think down the road we will all regret it.

What you have just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone on this message board is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Re-signing Hayward will keep the team from taking a step back. Giving you $100 doesn't make sense, although I should give $100 to your mom. She is worth it.

Your point is that the jazz have money so they should just spend it regardless of if the player is worth it.

So if you have some extra money then you should just give it to me..... or give it to my mom. Either way, you should just give your money away cause that is what smart people and franchises do

Struggled as Utah's go to scorer in the half court.

18.2 pts. per 40 pace adjusted, 15th among small forwards that played 30+ minutes.

45.3 2 pt. percentage, 24th among 29 small forwards that played 30+ minutes.

Average 1st step.

Struggles to turn the corner.

Limited shake.

Average finisher around the rim - 48.1%

Solid athlete but lacks explosiveness around the rim.

Doesn't handle contact all that well.

In two of six years he shot poorly from the 3 pt. line. (2009 -29% and 2014 - 30%)

Really struggled in catch and shot situations.

Lacks the athleticism, strength and length to guard small forwards.

Foot speed is average.

Unable to bother jump shooters due to his short wing span. Below average wingspan - 6ft. 7 3/4in. Doesn't bother jump shooters is a major defensive liability.

Has issues against quick wings. (Not great lateral speed)

Gets taken advantage of by strong wings. (Unable to wall off and contain in the paint)

OK with all the above who wants Hayward on a max contract?
Lol someone watched the DX breakdown

Your point is that the jazz have money so they should just spend it regardless of if the player is worth it.

So if you have some extra money then you should just give it to me..... or give it to my mom. Either way, you should just give your money away cause that is what smart people and franchises do

No. It is not giving money away. The Jazz HAVE TO SPEND IT. If I want to buy a rare painting that I have had on display in my museum. The owner has a relationship with my museum, so he is willing to match any offers to allow me to keep it. I can either match what the market dictates, or I can look for other paintings to fill the space. If another painting I like as much or more can be acquired for cheaper, I buy it. If not, and I don't want an empty display in my museum, I pay the value the market dictates.

In this case, if I don't buy the painting, I will have to buy another $20M in paintings I may or may not want, or pay $20M extra to the paintings I already own.

The Jazz HAVE to spend at least $57M in salaries. If they don't re-sign Hayward or get other players, they have to pay it to the current roster. So the question becomes, if you HAVE to spend $20M do you do it on Hayward, others who may come here, or spread it out to your current roster.

As I have said all along, if they can bring in good replacement talent with the extra required spending, do it. It isn't a question if Hayward is getting overpaid. He is. To me, since the Jazz have to spend the $, I'd rather it be on Hayward as I think he helps the team, and I don't want multiple veteran scrubs taking away playing time from our young core.

If they can get Parsons, great. I don't see it happening.

No. It is not giving money away. If I want to buy a rare painting that I have had on display in my museum. The owner has a relationship with my museum, so he is willing to match any offers to allow me to keep it. I can either match what the market dictates, or I can look for other paintings to fill the space. If another painting I like as much or more can be acquired for cheaper, I buy it. If not, and I don't want an empty display in my museum, I pay the value the market dictates.
Come on, just give 100 dollars already

Originally Posted by JAZZGASM No. It is not giving money away. If I want to buy a rare painting that I have had on display in my museum. The owner has a relationship with my museum, so he is willing to match any offers to allow me to keep it. I can either match what the market dictates, or I can look for other paintings to fill the space. If another painting I like as much or more can be acquired for cheaper, I buy it. If not, and I don't want an empty display in my museum, I pay the value the market dictates.
Jazz are going to pay $63M for a painting of "Dogs Playing Poker." It's overvalued. In fact, there are similar paintings out there that are selling for less. But you HAVE to fill that empty space. And if some foolish art collector says those damn dogs are worth $63M, then that's what you tell the visitors to your museum. And next season or the year after, you can't make any other acquisitions because you have that damn $63M painting on the wall and no cash in the bank. Sorry, but a museum with a $63M Dog is never going to be an elite museum.

I voted yes, but I don't think he is worth it. I just hope with better coaching and a better system he will be better and come close to being worth it. But if it was my money or the Jazz where in a tougher financial situation, I would say no to signing him for that much.

I have interpreted that line of reasoning more as it pertains to hamstringing the Jazz's overall cap situation vs. bad contract relative to the player.

I guess I only care about the former if what we're really hearing is that the Jazz won't be spending up to the cap in the near future no matter what so we have to pay out what ownership is willing to pay. If that's the case, then we all should find another team to root for. We won't because fandom is essentially mental illness in disguise, but we should.

Man this forum is a bunch of whiners against our own team.

Maybe Locke was right and we should root for our players.

I've been on the Hornets forum and they are so excited, some think overpaid a bit, but like him a lot and worth the risk.

Just pointing it out......

NBA Free Agency is a long exercise in teams falling in love with guys that other teams with more specific experience and personal knowledge have soured on. So it has always been and so it shall ever be.

Additionally, the Jazz have about $37M in contracts once we sign Hood and Exum. We have to spend 90% of the $63M cap (about $57M).

If you don't pay it to Hayward, who do you pay it to? I don't want them to sign a few veterans that will take more playing time from our young core, and knowing the Jazz, that is what they do. I don't want more Richard Jefferson types that won't help us develop our young guys.

Lets keep our young core intact and grow into something special.

Two points:

1) The penalty for not spending to the floor is basically non-existent. It just means that the guys on the roster get extra money (that no one has used this as a tactic to give max guys extra is honestly a little surprising at this point). In that sense, the Jazz don't "have" to do anything.
2) You don't have to hit the floor by opening day. The Jazz could go into the season below the floor and become the importer with arbitrage benefits in trade deadline transactions to acquire more assets from teams that want to get under the tax line. Using Gordo to spend to the floor now is throwing away the opportunity to costlessly use that room during the season. No one thinks we're in contention this season.

So make Parsons a $11-12 million offer at midnight tonight, tell him he's got just under 3 days to accept it, and if he hasn't accepted it by then match Hayward. Would he really turn it down? Maybe, but he's very likely NOT going to have any more offers to consider this early in free agency since most other teams will be waiting around for Lebron & Co.

I get the feeling Parsons has a wink-wink deal with Houston as he does not seem to be seriously entertaining any other teams. I'm far more interested in Luol Deng's asking price at this point. It feels like it's lower than Haywards.

he does not deserve a contract that much, so if Burks and Kanter play their best way in their contract season, we gotta give the key of the organization or SLC to them?

That's not really how it works. The market sets the contract value for players. A player can't simply demand a certain amount. If we don't match Hayward then you send a message to other FOs(the market) that the Jazz might posture a bit but ultimately will fold. This would increase the number of offers Burks and Kanter would get not decrease them.

Regardless of what you think Hayward deserves he is getting that contract. The idea that by not matching our other guys wouldn't test FA for fear that they may get overpaid by another team is laughable.

We will match. In 4 years, hopefully, we will have enough assets that DL can let him go with a smile on his face.

That's not really how it works. The market sets the contract value for players. A player can't simply demand a certain amount. If we don't match Hayward then you send a message to other FOs(the market) that the Jazz might posture a bit but ultimately will fold. This would increase the number of offers Burks and Kanter would get not decrease them.

Regardless of what you think Hayward deserves he is getting that contract. The idea that by not matching our other guys wouldn't test FA for fear that they may get overpaid by another team is laughable.

We will match. In 4 years, hopefully, we will have enough assets that DL can let him go with a smile on his face.

Or resign him to a more appropriate contract. Time will tell.