What's new

Possible move into playoff position - Jazz at Grizzlies - 3/9/2018 6:00 pm MST

Thanks for the clarity. I was taught in my pre-med degree that strep throat was only cured by antibiotics. That never fully made sense.

When I was a kid we got it a lot and my mother called the doctor and his office called in a prescription, no charge or fee. Things have changed a lot since thwn.

like on paper it makes sense, because Group A Strep is generally susceptible to beta-lactam antibiotics like penicillin, or amoxicillin-- but studies show that taking antibiotics for strep only makes patients return to normal health 24 hours quicker (according to the lectures I got/research I've been exposed to). For this reason, people ask why the extra 24 hours even matters-- the answer is that it wouldn't, if it wasn't for rheumatic fever.

like on paper it makes sense, because Group A Strep is generally susceptible to beta-lactam antibiotics like penicillin, or amoxicillin-- but studies show that taking antibiotics for strep only makes patients return to normal health 24 hours quicker (according to the lectures I got/research I've been exposed to). For this reason, people ask why the extra 24 hours even matters-- the answer is that it wouldn't, if it wasn't for rheumatic fever.
It has much less to do with rheumatic fever and much more to do with the realities of an interaction with the patient in front of you than the numbers on paper. Antibiotics are still widely prescribed for many clear viral etiologies because it’s a lot easier to make an argument for a possibility of bacterial etiology and acquiesce than it is to have to take 10-15 minutes to educate a patient who 1) feels like crap 2) came in and paid their copay and 3) wants to get better. Add in institutional/systemic bureaucracy and patient satisfaction ratings and it will often push to favor prescribing an antibiotic for a viral respiratory infection. In theory one can be a purest, but where the rubber meets the road you can’t full-court-press on every patient every day because you will crash and burn.

So if someone has strep they feel bad enough to come in, you’re going to throw an incredibly cheap antibiotic at them even if it only shows 24 hour improvement above placebo, because those 24 hours can be valuable not just for symptoms but return to work. In addition, 24 hours is an average, meaning some will have >24 hours and again its compared to placebo, not compared to doing nothing (which is too often what people assume when they think about and discount a placebo effect, which often accounts for real and sizable components of true treatment effects).

Update: my ear is still draining like crazy (had a nasty greenish yellow looking slug thing exit my ear today) and I’m on the antibiotics which I just learned basically means I’m giving myself cancer.
I can’t hear for ****

Hey dala, member when we had that hellacious crazy hike to the hot springs (I’m still proud of my dog Rex btw) and you found my glasses when there was absolutely no hope of finding them but you wouldn’t give up and then you found them by that big rock after the jump over the creek? Good times

It has much less to do with rheumatic fever and much more to do with the realities of an interaction with the patient in front of you than the numbers on paper. Antibiotics are still widely prescribed for many clear viral etiologies because it’s a lot easier to make an argument for a possibility of bacterial etiology and acquiesce than it is to have to take 10-15 minutes to educate a patient who 1) feels like crap 2) came in and paid their copay and 3) wants to get better. Add in institutional/systemic bureaucracy and patient satisfaction ratings and it will often push to favor prescribing an antibiotic for a viral respiratory infection. In theory one can be a purest, but where the rubber meets the road you can’t full-court-press on every patient every day because you will crash and burn.

So if someone has strep they feel bad enough to come in, you’re going to throw an incredibly cheap antibiotic at them even if it only shows 24 hour improvement above placebo, because those 24 hours can be valuable not just for symptoms but return to work. In addition, 24 hours is an average, meaning some will have >24 hours and again its compared to placebo, not compared to doing nothing (which is too often what people assume when they think about and discount a placebo effect, which often accounts for real and sizable components of true treatment effects).

Holy ****. The amount of insiteful people here blows my my mind. The dude's name is @infection yall].

Hmm, what you're saying doesn't correlate with my own experience.

1984, I'm working as a technician in a large aerospace lab with 80 other techs doing shift work. I came down with strep, went to a doctor, took antibiotics, got well, then 3 weeks later I get it again. I got strep 3 times in 4 months, each time going to the doctor to get antibiotics -- and yes, took each prescription for the required 10 days. Then one night I heard a co-worker talking about how crummy she'd been feeling since Thanksgiving (it was now late April), so she finally went to a doctor and found out she had strep. She took the prescription and voila, no more strep for her and I quit having relapses. (And I haven't had another case of strep since.)

If you don't need antibiotics to treat strep, then why was my co-worker a carrier for five damn months?