What's new

Potential Trade Targets

I don't understand why Cy is trying to die on this hill that Murray is a mediocre player. Is the guy a superstar? No. Is the guy a borderline all star with a good contract? Yes. Is the guy at the correct age range to pair with Lauri for the future? Yes. With all that said I would still prefer to trade off vets and focus on the rebuild but I don't think there should be any debate that Murray is a really good player and a nice fit for us.
Choosing Murray is like choosing Lauri cuz getting him is our best chance at keeping Lauri here long terms. The last thing we want is to be forced to do a Raptors style firesale cuz we fail to take actions on time.

Murray might be underrated by some on this board, but he's still going to take a nice package to release from the Hawks.

The Jazz also have nothing the Hawks would want from a win-now standpoint for it to make sense (unless we are giving them Walker, who would be great w/ Trae, which I could be talked in to). But even that doestn make sense for the Hawks because it would be tough to trade Capela for value, so grabbing a center just doesnt make a lot of sense when you can't offload your old ones.

The only way the Jazz get Murray is in the off-season if Atlanta decides to blow everything up.

I think that’s fair. I just think in general people are a little down on Murray right now….but imo that’s mostly due to his role and him being overrated for SAS.

Given the choice between Murray or Lavine, I would probably still choose Murray because of his favorable contract situation. But that’s not an even choice. Lavine will come much cheaper and in terms lf being “underrated” I think he has a better case.

I give the edge to Murray as a player/asset, Lavine is likely a better target though.

The hawks would want to fleece us for Murray. They'd probabaly only do it for George, hendricks, 2 picks, and a filler..... which is a no
IDK if they would even take that. None of that helps them win. If they are blowing it up, sure, but if they want to keep Trae that does nothing for them.

I'm not actually sure there's been a fall off, at least in his talent level. IMO, his SAS days (especially that last season), were probably overrated. His ATL performance is probably underrated. This is especially the case on defense as you had mentioned. Much has been made about his dropoff in rebounds, but in reality it did not really have the effect that his high output would suggest and a lot of the dropoff in raw rebounding is likely due to playing with better rebounders. I don't think we mention enough that Dejounte is a ball dominant player who is also playing with one of the most ball dominant players in the game. One of the reasons they are this bad, the fit is not good between Trae and DJ....and tbh we should have known this.

Murray's numbers without Trae:

31.2 pts/100
10.3 ast/100
55.7 TS%

1487 MIN

Murray's numbers 21/22 with SAS:

29.3 pts/100
12.8 ast/100
53.4 TS%

2366 MIN

This is not perfect analysis, of course, but I think Murray is the same level of player he was in SAS. If anything, he's better because his improved 3FG% makes him easier to play with.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Lavine and Murray are both underrated at this point in time. Should we just go for both? lol.
Price will determine it all in terms of who would be a better target. I think Lavine is more of a homerun swing because the price could be low and the contract is so big. Lavine should return in the next week or two and I think he'd likely only be able to help his value as it seems his market is "barren" per every rumor monger.

Great post btw. That is good to see with/without Trae.

The hawks would want to fleece us for Murray. They'd probabaly only do it for George, hendricks, 2 picks, and a filler..... which is a no
If they could get that they'd do it in a second. He won't fetch that much.

IDK if they would even take that. None of that helps them win. If they are blowing it up, sure, but if they want to keep Trae that does nothing for them.
Of course they would do that. Take the Sixers approach of flipping that stuff later if you want to win now. They have their own pick... so if they take a one year step back its not the end of the world.

The other hypothetical offers they'd get would likely require a third party or second move to be a win now move. Lakers for Reaves, Rui, and a first? AR is a ****** fit. The first doesn't help them win. NY Grimes, Fournier, picks (likely protected ones)? Grimes seems like a good fit but he's not changing things.

Quin loves JC... JC, a pick, and Ochai as a "high potential 3 and D wing". There are a bunch of different iterations we could make work. Maybe its KO, THT, pick and its a three teamer with Toronto for Siakham? Raps reunite team Canada.

All I am saying is if the price is reasonable we should be able to get in the middle of it pretty easily... and it would make sense to make a bid... unless the plan is to tank.

Of course they would do that. Take the Sixers approach of flipping that stuff later if you want to win now. They have their own pick... so if they take a one year step back its not the end of the world.

The other hypothetical offers they'd get would likely require a third party or second move to be a win now move. Lakers for Reaves, Rui, and a first? AR is a ****** fit. The first doesn't help them win. NY Grimes, Fournier, picks (likely protected ones)? Grimes seems like a good fit but he's not changing things.

Quin loves JC... JC, a pick, and Ochai as a "high potential 3 and D wing". There are a bunch of different iterations we could make work. Maybe its KO, THT, pick and its a three teamer with Toronto for Siakham? Raps reunite team Canada.

All I am saying is if the price is reasonable we should be able to get in the middle of it pretty easily... and it would make sense to make a bid... unless the plan is to tank.
Yeah, they wouldnt do it. They probably just arent trading him if those are the packages.

They would because they could rope in a third team or fourth team immediately lol. George, Taylor, filler and 2 firsts is an auto reject? nah
Who? For what? You're just guessing and assuming without actually bringing in what would happen. Teams have to operate in reality when they want to win now.

Who? For what? You're just guessing and assuming without actually bringing in what would happen. Teams have to operate in reality when they want to win now.

You don’t think Toronto would take a lesser version of that package for Siakam?

Toronto and Atlanta are in completely different spots.

Dude… that’s what HH is saying they could reel in a 3rd team easily. They could send Hendricks, salary filler and a first for Siakam and keep the change (Keyonte and a first) themselves. That’s how outrageous that deal is.

Dude… that’s what HH is saying they could reel in a 3rd team easily. They could send Hendricks, salary filler and a first for Siakam and keep the change (Keyonte and a first) themselves. That’s how outrageous that deal is.
SO they are buildling around Siakim/Trae while still having Jalen Johnson and Capela? Siakim is a leftover rumor. They got Jalen Johnson now. They dont need Siakim.

SO they are buildling around Siakim/Trae while still having Jalen Johnson and Capela? Siakim is a leftover rumor. They got Jalen Johnson now. They dont need Siakim.

This is all hypothetical but yes Jake Fischer reported just two days ago that Atlanta is interested and almost dealt for him this summer.

Price will determine it all in terms of who would be a better target. I think Lavine is more of a homerun swing because the price could be low and the contract is so big. Lavine should return in the next week or two and I think he'd likely only be able to help his value as it seems his market is "barren" per every rumor monger.

Great post btw. That is good to see with/without Trae.

It would be somewhat of a risk for sure….but if we can get out from under John’s contract that would be nice. I kinda balked at this idea earlier, but JC + their pick of Sexton/JC gets us close ish? They’ve been playing better. We can make up the difference with picks.

Consolidation trades almost never happen, so if you can, I think it’s a great opportunity.