What's new

Preseason game against Chris Paul and the clippers. 10/23/13

I really hope we don't jump the gun on the fact that he's only like 23 or 24 years old. I hope we don't jump the gun on the fact that this is the first time he's being asked to carry the team and be a leader. If he's putting up 18/5/5 in preseason now, what will he be doing by the seasons end? This is what is exciting. This is the same crap we heard after the first couple games about Favors! Now after last night his praises are being sung, and rightfully so. Hayward has lots of room for growth, and there's no doubt in my mind that he will improve and impress going forward. The return of Burke will help to relieve some of his pressure.
Ideally, Hayward plays off ball. He just can't score effectively off the dribble (although he is a terrific passer). Unfortunately, the Jazz don't have anyone who can create for others or themselves better than Hayward right now.

Also, I think people would be wise to reserve judgment on Favors. One good offensive game doesn't erase a handful of bad ones. With that said, he's been very effective defensively and on the glass. He'll be fun to watch this season.

Ideally, Hayward plays off ball. He just can't score effectively off the dribble (although he is a terrific passer). Unfortunately, the Jazz don't have anyone who can create for others or themselves better than Hayward right now.

Also, I think people would be wise to reserve judgment on Favors. One good offensive game doesn't erase a handful of bad ones. With that said, he's been very effective defensively and on the glass. He'll be fun to watch this season.
I think Hayward, and Favors biggest obstacle is consistency, and that the game needs to slow down for both.

I really hope we don't jump the gun on the fact that he's only like 23 or 24 years old. I hope we don't jump the gun on the fact that this is the first time he's being asked to carry the team and be a leader. If he's putting up 18/5/5 in preseason now, what will he be doing by the seasons end? This is what is exciting. This is the same crap we heard after the first couple games about Favors! Now after last night his praises are being sung, and rightfully so. Hayward has lots of room for growth, and there's no doubt in my mind that he will improve and impress going forward. The return of Burke will help to relieve some of his pressure.

This.
All of our core are extremely young and inexperienced at things they are being asked to do.
Give them time.... and enjoy the losses and the high draft pick in the process of watching them learn

I was incredibly encouraged with the start of that game last night. It was 12 to 12 at one point, with most Clips points coming from Griffin and Jordan dunks with associated oohs and aahs from the fans. But on the other side, all the Jazz points came from Kanter and Favors, and there moves were so impressive that the LA fans were also giving oohs and aahs. The future looks great.

Favors is nailing midrangers against the two laker teams and one of them we all saw was high post like a 20 footer. I'm excited about his season.

Positives

Favors looked like a new man out there
Hayward - I thought he played well. Made some big shots in the first half to keep us in the game. Yea down the stretch the team didn't play well but they had sat a long time.

Kanter - I don't know what to think. Sometimes he looks really good and other times he looks like he did when he was a rookie. He needs more minutes and some coaching. Defensively he looks more lost and he doesn't seem as though he is in great shape. I will cut him more slack than Favors/Hayward due to their experience and Kanter's injury.

Burks- His shooting has regressed. Needs to stop grabbing the ball after a basket. Needs to stop making stupid faces when he makes a mistake. If he doesn't improve his shooting his career will not be what I thought it would be.

LucasIII - there is a reason why he has been a fringe NBA player. He isn't very good.

Gobert - I absolutely love this kid. Two years he could be our starting center if he gets some meat on his bones. I just hope the Jazz have money to pay him.

Ian Clark - I think he can earn some minutes 10-15 a game.

Jefferson - I think he can be a steady force for the Jazz whether he starts or comes off the bench. Not great but you can tell he has played in the NBA for 13 years.

Biedrins - useless - I have never seen a decent player get that bad. It looks as though he hasn't wanted to be on the court when he gets a chance. I will be pissed if he plays over Gobert.

Burke - His injury might be the best thing to happen to him. He gets to watch and learn and the fans will be happy he is back because the other PGs suck so bad. I think him being out has taken some of the pressure off of him.

Scrubs- I am glad they cut a bunch of them now we can see the real NBA players play.

Favors impressed me when he got hammered and still made the basket. THis play tells me he is a lot stronger than when he came in the league. It would have been nice if he had hit the FT but this particular play showed me his growth. If Favors hits his jump shots at a high rate then the league better watch out. He will be a monster.

Some people need to remember that even the great Stockton and Malone had bad games. The kids performances will be like a roller coaster ride, some ups and down but exciting to watch.