What's new

Questions about this site

Rep power also factors in how long you've been a member.

Yes

The bars I believe go from 50, 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, 700.... etc... colton or Log or someone can correct me if I'm wrong on this.
I don't think post count factors in much to the equation.

I think that's right, although I'm not sure what the levels are for the bars. And I can't seem to set it.

If you hover over the bars you will see a title, sortof, based on the amount of rep you have...see Moe's thread in the general forum.

Yes. And I can set the levels for those titles. Right now there are 14 levels between about 0 and 200. I think I'll tweak them now that many users have more than 200 rep points.

When you get repped by someone you get the positive or negative rep based on their rep power so a pos rep from Log is worth double that of PwnasaurasRex for example.

If you go to community, then members you can see the rep of all of the members.
You can sort it by rep, or name, or whatever if you are nosy.

Did I cover it all?

Looks good.

So, Colton.
Are you going to tell us about the Rep adjustment you recently made?
How is it set up now, and what are the break points now?

Just curious.

So, Colton.
Are you going to tell us about the Rep adjustment you recently made?
How is it set up now, and what are the break points now?

Just curious.

You can't see the formula? It's simple...the posters who earn rep points by making insightful, funny, entertaining posts gain points from other posters, hence "reputation". Colton gets +1 from the highest rep earner, because he, um, because, um...I have no idea why Colton is so insecure that he has to artifically inflate his own rep number.

I haven't paid much (any?) attention to rep. I suppose I should. I just checked for the first time and see that people have been repping me. Thanks, I will attempt to reciprocate.

You can't see the formula? It's simple...the posters who earn rep points by making insightful, funny, entertaining posts gain points from other posters, hence "reputation". Colton gets +1 from the highest rep earner, because he, um, because, um...I have no idea why Colton is so insecure that he has to artifically inflate his own rep number.

Haha, nice... Colton 8. Weak.

Relax people.
Colton was an 8 before the change when you were 9, 10 and 11.

Thanks YB for your intentionally unhelpful post, you know what I was asking.
I'm just curious about the inner workings, not as much offended someone has more rep than I do.

Jason's and my rep powers don't change (unless I do it manually), they just stay at 8. For some reason, though, I feel like we should be among the highest rep powers on the board. Therefore my basic procedure is to wait until the highest other rep powers overtake us by a bit (i.e. when someone reaches 10 or 11), then I reconfigure the rep power equation so that those individuals are at or slightly below Jason and myself. Rinse and repeat.

Right now the current formula for rep power is:

rep power = #days/130 + #posts/2500 + #reputation/300

I think the algorithm rounds after each step and then adds, rather than adding before rounding.

Jason's and my rep powers don't change (unless I do it manually), they just stay at 8. For some reason, though, I feel like we should be among the highest rep powers on the board. Therefore my basic procedure is to wait until the highest other rep powers overtake us by a bit (i.e. when someone reaches 10 or 11), then I reconfigure the rep power equation so that those individuals are at or slightly below Jason and myself. Rinse and repeat.

Right now the current formula for rep power is:

rep power = #days/130 + #posts/2500 + #reputation/300

I think the algorithm rounds after each step and then adds, rather than adding before rounding.

Okay, I brought it up so I'll ask: Why should your rep be higher than any other poster? Because you're an administrator? My previous post was mostly tongue in cheek, but with every satire, there is truth. Shouldn't rep be earned and/or lost? What does being an administrator have to do with rep? Really, I don't care. I just think it's odd that you feel the need to have the highest rep power on the board and that anytime Log or Trout or anyone passes your level, adjustments have to be made. The posters with the highest rep number have it for a reason: They have earned a good reputation on the board.

Now I'll step off my soapbox and go back to not caring. Until the next time.

Shouldn't rep be earned and/or lost?

Reputation should be earned or lost. However, reputation power (the ability to affect reputation) is not the same thing.

colton,

How much flexibility do you have in your equations for rep?

Reputation should be earned or lost. However, reputation power (the ability to affect reputation) is not the same thing.

True. But the question remains: Why should Colton/Jason liking or not liking a post (that does not violate the rules) carry more weight than any other poster? If random factors such as being an admin give him higher rep, why don't the grunts doing the moderating/sweeping also get higher rep? How about premium members? I just don't think rep power should be determined because somebody has a title.

ATTICA!
ATTICA!
ATTICA!

Actually, I'd go the opposite way. Moderators and premium should probably receive a rep power bonus.

Exactly. YB-- it's my rep power that I feel should be high. I don't manually set my rep at all (currently 25th highest on the board, it looks like).

One Brow said:
How much flexibility do you have in your equations for rep?

"rep power" you mean. ;-)

I can set the denominators in the formula to anything I want, or decide not to include any of the three terms. That's about it.

Moderators and premium should probably receive a rep power bonus.

Yes, I'd do that also if there were any way to. Unfortunately as far as I have been able to tell there's no way to give a rep power bonus for anyone but admins. And it's not a bonus for admins, it's a "flat rate".

True. But the question remains: Why should Colton/Jason liking or not liking a post (that does not violate the rules) carry more weight than any other poster?

As Trout would say, beware my -8! ;-)

More seriously, for that matter why should #days on jazzfanz allow someone to carry more weight? Why should #posts? Why should #reputation? We could make it egalitarian and just give everyone a rep power of 1, would that be better? (Actually, I'm not really sure if I could do that exactly. Probably not.)

Basically, there are just a few parameters that can be tweaked: #days, #posts, #reputation, and whether or not someone is an administrator. So I'm using all four of them to determine the rep power.

I'm with YB, it's still weak sauce. I am not ashamed to admit that my REP on Jazzfanz is pretty damn important to me.

Trout > Your Opinion

I'm with YB, it's still weak sauce. I am not ashamed to admit that my REP on Jazzfanz is pretty damn important to me.

Trout > Your Opinion

To be honest I really do not know why I am on top of the rep rankings. It frankly surprised me Trout when you negged me so I wouldn't pass up you and YB. I had no idea what you were talking about.

I really don't care what Colton and Jason's rep powers are. They run the site, they have a vested interest and give of their time and resources, so I am ok with whatever they choose to do with it. I think it would be fun to set a formula and just let it go, see how high the rep powers can go. Let the top guys get to 20, then tweak, just for a while. But it really doesn't bother me when it gets tweaked, it is just fun to bug Colton about it. :)

But I will admit, it makes me feel pretty good to see my name on top of the rep list. I know it is an internet forum and in the grand scheme of things really doesn't mean anything, but I think it is kind of cool nonetheless.

Let me see if I understand this. Every time loggrad passes Colton and Jason, everybody else gets knocked back a notch?

I call shenanigans. Shenanigans!

So why does the number of days, you have been a member mean more, then your total number of Rep points readers have given you?