What's new

Quotes from around the league on Jazz over Grizzlies-"Why would the Jazz do this? What’s going on in Utah?"

Lauri.png

That horse isn’t pale

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Google translate says Valkoinen Kuolema, which maybe doesn't have quite the same schwung.
'Belaya smert' in Russian. There is a lot of long pages about Simo Häyhä in the internet. Good start: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_Häyhä

IMO. Problem is that while the name White Death is very cool sounding tag for Lauri, it is also totally unfitting in every way possible considering his personality. For the guy who is practically the epitome of casual 'not wanting anything bad to anyone IRL' guy, it is politically and historically labsolutely too loaded callsign (even if his threes would've gone in with 95% over his career), no to mention possible misconceptions and misunderstandings arising from the terms of "white" and "death" within the North American NBA context. The sport of basketball will be much more healthy without these kind of misnomers for an individual players.

The Finnisher is much more neutral calling name for him, as it is based for a pun, but also reflecting his already obvious an occasionally easily perceivable tendency to 'clutchness' or 'clutchworthiness'.

For us Finns, all is about a certain demonstration of Sisu, embodied to Lauri Markkanen's actions and personality. There shall not be out-of-place force multipliers to enforce that, what is already obvious as he is, and what he does, how he act, himself.

It's like a "stolen-valor-idiocy" for him if he gets compared to Simo, out of contexts. I know, I'm Finnish man.

This particular comment was the very reason to join and register in and make a bigger band wagon. (thanks admins for relatively swift handling of my humble application!)

Just trying the help for your needs as a Finn, and from the role of hopelessly biased Lauri Markkanen fanboi.

But I promise, for the future and now on I'll tirelessly put some effort to correct all those lazy, uneducated and unnecessary spelling (I can accept that in a speech, but not in written English) mistakes concerning the mighty name of

LAURI MARKKANEN

here in these parts of the interweb. Thank you.

Rough translations from Finnish can be also produced with some degree of accuracy if ever needed. Lol. :)
We will never mess up Lorie Marrkannen's name again, thank you!!

"Finsk sisu" has been used since forever in Norwegian to describe, I guess, the grit and determination often attributed to finns. Not sure it fits in a nickname, at least none I can think of.

I like "Finnisher" as a nickname, but I think pulling out Lauri Bird every once in a while wouldn't go amiss either.

Google translate says Valkoinen Kuolema, which maybe doesn't have quite the same schwung.
That may be what Google translate says, but the term any real Fin uses is "Muerte Blanca."

That may be what Google translate says, but the term any real Fin uses is "Muerte Blanca."
Yeah. In the barbaric backwoods of cottage Finland (at Fuengirola) that maybe the the case, but in the northern coastal A'le Cog landia proper translation would be

VITIKALMA

The compound word that is both poetically nuanced, and sounding beautiful, but also possible to reconstruct linguistically all the way back to the Proto-Uralic.

Semantically Valkoinen Kuolema and Vitikalma hold same meaning even in contemporary Finnish language, both written and spoken. All Finnish dialects included.

:p

"Finsk sisu" has been used since forever in Norwegian to describe, I guess, the grit and determination often attributed to finns. Not sure it fits in a nickname, at least none I can think of.

I like "Finnisher" as a nickname, but I think pulling out Lauri Bird every once in a while wouldn't go amiss either.
Lauri Dirkannnen

Yeah. In the barbaric backwoods of cottage Finland (at Fuengirola) that maybe the the case, but in the northern coastal A'le Cog landia proper translation would be

VITIKALMA

The compound word that is both poetically nuanced, and sounding beautiful, but also possible to reconstruct linguistically all the way back to the Proto-Uralic.

Semantically Valkoinen Kuolema and Vitikalma hold same meaning even in contemporary Finnish language, both written and spoken. All Finnish dialects included.

:p
See, that’s the problem, though. I learned the kind of Finnish from backwoods cottage towns, before you A'le Cog landia folks totally butchered it.

Muerte Blanca.

Fun Fact: I sang the song "Oon lapsi Jumalan" ("I Am a Child of God") at church in England while on an LDS mission. My companion was Finnish. The title is the only thing I can still sing because it was 40 years ago.

I love Lauri! Definitely have a soft spot for him because of my long-lost Finnish friend.

Fun Fact: I sang the song "Oon lapsi Jumalan" ("I Am a Child of God") at church in England while on an LDS mission. My companion was Finnish. The title is the only thing I can still sing because it was 40 years ago.

I love Lauri! Definitely have a soft spot for him because of my long-lost Finnish friend.
LOL, I learned the same thing in Swedish on my mission in Germany. Jag är Guds lilla barn.

Im a Pels fan but can anyone tell me why the hell are the Jazz so good??

do we ... do we just have to accept that Lauri Markkenen is a, without reservations, all-star player now? Did he commune with the ancient pagan gods of Finland on international duty? What's happening.

Lauri really is a 7 foot wing. Chicago just didn’t understand this. Man’s a beast on the perimeter and is playing with such confidence right now. Definitely gonna be an all star and possibly MIP if he can keep this up

I am simultaneously so happy for Lauri and so jealous of Utah

I remember everyone clowning on the Cavs for the 4 yr 67 mil contract that Lauri got last season. Sure looks like one of the best contracts in the league right now.

It's early but that Cavs Jazz trade is looking pretty damned mutually beneficial.

Jazz have that mix of borderline players that tanking team would stock up on for trade purposes but compliment each other so well the total greater than the sum of its parts. Conley is the perfect point guard for that dynamic and lauri was always a guy who was gonna need time and the right situation. he has sisu.

Jordan Clarkson leading the team in assists is impressive. Seems he's really trying to play a point guard role and get everyone involved.

Them dudes in Utah are hooping

Ainge pulling his hair out.

He is planning to get his starters suspended for the rest of the season, only way to keep the tank on track.

Poor Zach Lowe had Utah at the #30 in the list of most watchable teams. Little did he know that Utah is going to win a championship

Foolish ESPN and TNT don’t have any Jazz games!

somehow Utah, Gobert and Mitchell were all holding each other back at once

Can't believe the grizz is tanking for wemby

Markkanen must be the frontrunner for MIP right now, right?

My road leads into the Vivint Arena…

Lauri Legend

The Finnisher

White Death

Lauri has the best nicknames and it’s not even close.

Nah, Danny is uber competitive to a fault. He'll start a rebuild but not fully commit to bottoming out if there's even a whiff of the team still being decent after trading away a couple of pieces.

Think it's way more likely that he rides with the team and tries to keep the team in the playoff hunt immediately, much like he did in Boston. Lauri is his new IT.

Forreal if Lauri keeps playing like a total star why in the world would anyone want to trade him, guy is only 25 which is still young enough to be a major core piece of the future.

LAURI BIRD DOES IT AGAIN!
**** THE MIP, HE COMING FOR THE MVP!

Ainge is most certainly rubbing his hands together knowing he can ask 2 first round picks for him if he keeps at this pace lol

Hahaha Power Rankings ****ing exposed again!!!

When is the NBA gonna realise Utah are the clear cut 2nd best team in the NBA behind us.

This is the Lauri Markkanen that Jim Boylen stunted. Called it in 2019.

damn that utah crowd is impressive

Random theory but he’s an outdoorsy Finnish dude, and the Vibe In Utah is good for his soul. Feel good, play good?

I love redemption stories. Markkanen was dubbed the new unicorn. Then just like that disappeared.

Now you remember Jim Boylen make him park and shoot corner 3. Somehow the Jazz unlocked him.

He's got the green light and there are little expectations. Good coaching too he's Lauri from FIBA playing in the NBA now

The Jazz have unlocked superstar Markkanen. Beware. Y'all aren't ready.

I always believed in Lauri and I’m so happy to see him ball tf out, but god damn do I wish it was in red & black

I feel like the Lauri for Donovan trade is like those healthy divorces that end in everyone getting remarried then vacationing together with the kids.

I hope the Jazz keeps this up all year and reek havoc in the west lol

Why are the jazz so good wtf

lol Dillon.. why would you do that to Conley of all people?

Dillon is such a little bitch. Would hate if he was on my team

bro what the **** is wrong with dillon brooks guy's a punk

grizzlies are getting dirty, also why the **** would you walk over conley, that dude carried grizzlies for like a decade

Makes you wonder if you can just build around Markkanen lol

This Jazz team is just very likeable, first time watching them this season

How the **** the Jazz look way better after trading their 2 main stars? Jazz fans, was that Donovan/Gobert rift that bad?

holy **** utah spanking teams out here. it really is spooky szn

Wtf are the Jazz even?

That’s an interesting hairdo bad golfer dude has

So umm the Jazz are legit legit

how are the Jazz doing this man

Mike Conley looks in a great place physically, Lauri is playing out of his mind, great shooting all over the roster, huge hustle and unselfish play. Its honestly so sick to watch.

Is Lauri Markanen a franchise player lol

Lauri Dirkannen, I'm surprised at his defense. I thought he was soft and can't protect the rim.

Damn this Utah Moneyball team

Utah is so fun man

Yet another great coach found in the wild. Hardy has these Jazz playing like they've been together for years.

I really thought the Grizzlies would blow the Jazz out tonight with Ja after barely losing to them without Ja.

How did the Jazz turn Markkanen into Larry Bird

Surprised at how strong a rebounder Markannen is. I thought he was soft.

THT really did a step back 3 when he was wide open lol made it tho

**** it I'm bandwagonning thr Jazz

Jazz dumped dmitch and gobert to build around Larry Bird.

Still think they should be tanking for another asset but maybe they want to see what he can do for them right away.

Why would the Jazz do this? What’s going on in Utah
This was actually far better than the Grizz fans quotes. Not saying that wasn't amazing either, because it totally was.

It's nice to see everyone else knows what a punk Brooks is.

I'm surprised no one has made a Mortal Kombat with Lauri photo shopped and the words "Finnish Him"

Not sure if "Finntality" is taking it too far