What's new

Quotes from Blazers' forums-"If you don’t like third quarter collapses, you don’t like Blazers basketball"

JazzAvenues

2018 Award Winner
2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
2023 Award Winner
Pre Game

Can't wait to give up 150 plus.

Trail Blazers +7 (-110) | Jazz -7 (-110)

Let’s see what we’re made of...

lets trash that chicken feet mitchellin

When did Australia get an NBA team?

Oh goodness... for a second I thought the Sonics were back! the green and gold and white should NOT be available to the Jazz!

20 point Blazer win if Nurk plays.

The Blazers (30-20) are now 1-7 against the five teams above them in the Western Conference, and the average score in those games is 120-107. Amid the wreckage are losses by 32 to the Suns, by 23 and 17 to the Clippers and by 20 to the Jazz. The only win against the top teams was a 115-107 victory at the Lakers in the season’s third game.

Love the jazz went to overtime and the blazers will still get smacked on a back to back for utah lol

Nice to see the Jazz game last night. They showed up and played tough. Was wondering if they were going to. Gained some respect for Both the Suns and Jazz.
Blazers have an opportunity and the schedule advantage tonight.
Time to take care of business.
FROM THE BEGINNING PLEASE!

Again I doubt we get blown out two games in a row. That seldom happens to teams unless they have given up.

So Utah played yesterday, went to OT, no Jordan Clarkson what’s the excuse today when Blazers get destroyed

The Jazz borrowed uniforms from the Ducks

Utah has the best home record in the entire NBA this season, so this will be the biggest test the Blazers have faced this season. Surprise me, Blazers. I dare ya.

1st Half

Really sick and tired of losing when we have immense talent. Come on guys.

It be nice to beat a good team this year!!!

Kanter in and the Gobert misses turn into an easy dunk and now Favors gets to the line. Wish Nurk was available for 30 min tonight instead of 20.

Get Melo out of the ****ing game and into a retirement home.

Love when a player gets a T for a blown call by the ref.

2nd Half

Fingers crossed and symbol given to ward off the third quarter fall apart.

Apparently playing a 3rd quarter is also very very difficult to do.

Trade CJ! Too much ball dribbling, too much one man play in this team, we ain't getting better as a team, we ain't going to finals.

Refs took over the game in the third quarter and we rimmed 13 points in easy makes, just in what I saw.

I was furious when I saw he was playing Kanter, Melo and Simons at the same time

man if only the blazers played like this on defense every night

Don't worry, Blazers third quarter incoming.

I am having hard time believing the halftime score. Game is slipping now in 3rd quarter though and is likely over. It's Utah team and they're just gonna get more aggressive. They got good players. Just nobody talks about them.

Can’t believe I am saying this but that was pretty good defense. Please don’t let me down

Of course they let me down

First game this year I've turned off, and I might just quit watching for a while. Every third quarter against a decent team is the same.

Please please please explain to why we are so bad it the 3rd, it seems to be every game mannnnnn

I actually hate this team. I want this nightmare to be over. Please get to the off-season so they can overhaul the org.

Somebody go back in the locker room and let the blazers know the third started

This ****ing sucks. Getting blown out now. For a good offensive team this squad goes through some brutal cold stretches.

Kanter out at the three point line while Gobert kills us on the boards.

We must have the worst third quarter margin of defeat in the ****ing league

We had a 6 point lead in this quarter.

Ignore the problem. Play blind to it and hope it goes away. That is the Blazer way.

What a complete joke of a quarter. 16 ****ing points. Terry should just have called more timeouts. The game is now OVER. Why save your ****ing timeouts? Just so ****ing stupid. It's 100 percent over. Nice coaching terry. Call ****ing timeouts, use your protest. Now it's pointless. Doesn't he get it? You can't go down by 20 and expect anything to happen in 12 minutes against the ~best team in the league.

This season is over. Pathetic. We cannot beat the best teams in the NBA, we're just not good enough. Disgraceful.

How many more chances we giving Melo before we send him off peacefully to retirement

How many times does Mitchell need to score on us before Stotts realizes that dropping Kanter on PnR is a terrible coaching decision??

Blazers beating Utah or any +.500 team would be too much to ask for. So this is nothing unexpected. Team looks burned out, desperate shots, frustrations, missing open shots. Maybe bench players that typically don't play need to start the next game.

That’s a 24 point turnaround. Damn.

Is Donovan Mitchell better than Dame already? I mean Dame isn't playing that great at the moment, but even taking that into account, Mitchell's defense is SO much better than Dame's, and there's just not much difference on offense.

Well, ****, that sure turned to **** quickly. Up 3 at half and down 18 after 3rd quarter.

Getting outscored 40-19 in the quarter, now that must have been one heck of a halftime speech.

I mean...fans understand that there will be the occasional blowout. But to just not even be competitive against any of the teams above you is just bad. That’s been a consistent pattern all season. Unless that changes, it’s gonna be a quick first round and out.

Bruh. Nurk is washed af. Dude got 3 pts, 3 assists, 4 rebounds. Gobert has 14 pts and 17 rebounds.

Utah played back to back gms and still blew the Blazers out

Jazz are playing back to back + overtime game and they have more energy than us.

Im not blaming anyone but when you keep up with a team till half when the most adjustments happen then get blown out. Kinda obvious what the problem is

CJ and Nurkic playing like bonafide SCRUBS

One team that has had a day off and has been waiting in town....looks tired.
One team that played in a different city and had to go into OT....looks fresh.

Brilliant Stotts saving all his timeouts so he can try to sell them for points later.

we are not even close to their level

We have an MVP candidate and have somehow in two years been lapped by Phoenix and Utah. Unbelievable.

Now minus 20 on rebounds. That's the game.

What is this 'adjustment' thing you reference?

Lmao I still can’t believe this moron keeps playing Melo and kanter together. Even threw Simons out with em there for giggles.

What are the odds some people on this board being able to score on kanter

Feels even worse knowing the Jazz played OT last night and don’t have Clarkson. Heading towards another blowout...

This went from one of the best performances of the year to one of the worst very fast. I’m considering busting in the blazers practice facility and asking them what the **** is going on when the team is “practicing”

Post Game

Apparently a quality win is also hard to do. This team needs a change. Same old Blazers.

Once again getting smashed by a good team

Horrible effort!!!! This team is a disgrace

You know your team is mediocre when all they know is jacking up 3s eventhey are not falling.

There wasn’t a single player that played well and with any ball movement tonight. No one could finish tonight and all were rushing their shots and ball movement. I watched the game until the end but it has been getting harder and harder to watch when they have no game plan but to play iso ball with no energy too! I’ve never been a fire Stotts person, but some kind of shakeup is needed now if they continue the play this badly.

It's getting harder and harder to root for this continuously failing game-plan.

What a catastrophic 2nd half time !! Whether offensively or defensively... In addition we continue to suffer and there is almost no reaction... Now we wonder what we will get to play offs... it is sure that in front of the pistons there is nothing to fear, but in front of the top 5 of the 2 conferences there is no one left

I have been following the Blazers faithfully for 35 years. Tonight was the first time in more than a decade that I turn off a game before it's over. It's become unwatchable

Looks like a defensive battle.... HA 40 points in the 3rd quarter by the Jazz. What quarter will the opposing team score 40 in the next game? I say 4th.

What happened? The 1st half was so great on both sides. Never came out of the locker room at the half

Time and time again, Terry Stotts never cease to amaze us with his amazing coaching skills. Please kick him out

The small ball line up with Carmelo Anthony as center was so good and effective, also I love how the team switch from sharing the ball to ISO play and jacking up 3s late in the third quarter. I bet you guys enjoyed watching Nassir Little defending Rudy Gobert and Jusuf Nurkic taking 3s. Look like our guys are having fun out there, I hope the team can sustain this magical momentum.

It’s frustrating to see the Utah and Denver build really good teams and keep adding the necessary pieces while the Blazers just keep relying on Dame and CJ to score all the points it’s really getting old

Giving up 40 points in a quarter on the regular is unacceptable. Something needs to change if we ever want to win deep in the playoffs. Not sure if its lack of effort, lack of pride, or something else. Figure it out Blazers!

The Blazers look like they are playing in preseason mode. Their offense is basically iso ball with some basic pick and roll mixed in.

The jazz are a good team but not a super team. Mitchell is the only real star on that team but they play together.

We got the Jazz on a night they shoot 29% from 3 and we still lose big. Crazy.

2021 all-stars:

Utah - 3
Suns - 2
Clippers - 2
Denver - 1 (MVP favorite)
Lakers - 2 (3rd place before the Lebron AD injury)
Portland - 1
Dallas - 1

Also happens to be the same order they appear in the standings. It's like a direct correlation between top end talent and success. I'll take the teams with 2+ all-stars in the playoffs. Who wants the 1 all-star teams that are loaded with role players?

Dame was 3 of 12 on three point shooting. I love Dame but this game and the last game he was bad and not a good bad. Just bad.​

Bad defense. Bad shooting. Hope he can get it going again. Nurk looked good when he was on the floor. He was just picking up to many fouls.

2nd half was as bad as anything we’ve seen all season. All the bad wrapped up into that 3rd quarter, inclusive of an alien invading Stotts’ brain, bad ISO, BAD MELO, missed open shots, ZERO DEFENSE especially when Nurk is out, bad Kanter, Dame acting and playing a bit like a baby and getting outclassed by opposing guards, CJ doing his thing and missing (actually some easy shots too), on and on.

If you don’t like third quarter collapses, you don’t like Blazers basketball

We are watching a team who does everything we suck at. They play together, they play hard, they play smart, they get the best shot seemingly every possession, they might not be as talented as us, but guys know their roles.

We have none of that. We lack any accountability, and that starts with the coach. Sure Stotts is a likeable guy who guys like to play for, but he doesn't coach an elite team, never will.

I'll never understand how the Blazers can have so many people who can score but every single one of them seems to think they are the only one who can do anything on offense.

Why stotts? There’s LITERALLY no point Jesus ****ing Christ. Just end the pain.

19-40 quarter, jesus ****ing christ

CJ you're allowed to pass my lord

Legit jelly of Jazz. You can't even hate. Such a well coached team

The fact that Melo is allowed to jack up as many shots as he wants but no play any defense is exactly what’s wrong with this team.

Selfish CJ again you had Norman wide ****ing open

Melo/Kanter on the floor together is just horrific to watch. DJJ should be playing all of Melo's minutes period to makeup Kanter's lack of defense.

Im tired of these Terry defenders smelling their own farts acting like they are more intelligent for thinking he is our best option. How about this, bitches.. yeah I want Terry fired and no I dont know who i want to replace him, thats why im not the GM. There are only 30 of these jobs in the world, a lot of smart mother ****ers will want it.

Jazz on a 2nd night of a b2b that went into OT while shooting sub 30% from three and we still couldn't win. Gave us hope in the 1st half and then just flexed that they were the better team in the 3rd. Feels bad man.

Better than the tankers, worse than the contenders. Welcome to NBA purgatory everyone

Jazz played a tough OT loss less than 24 hours ago.

We lose by 19.

More to come Imma rant it up.

E: Team looks perpetually disinterested in maintaining focus and being consistant on defense.

This shouldve been a gut check game. It WAS a gut check game and we just... **** the bed in the 2nd half.

We still have yet to beat a playoff team that had their full squad.

Stotts needs emotion. Get a Technical, you laid back oaf. Call a challenge on Nurks 4th foul. Change your goddam rotations. We dont need Melo isoing when the game is slipping away. Nassir and DJ and RHJ when hes available should be eating up Melos and Ants minutes. Get mad at the team. Do SOMETHING WE NOTICE HERE IN r/Ripcity that we can genuinely say you care about this team slipping.

Team is a complete dumpster fire if we cant hit 3s. Assuming we dont get bounced in a play in game then we are making a 4 to 5 game exit from the 1st round.

Also how are we worse with CJ playing. **** makes like zero sense unless we had better defenders playing more... hmm.

Short of a ****ing miracle championship, we need a huge change this offseason. Coaching AND starting line up.

E2: You know what, I aint done. If we get bounced early, CJ and Dame making so much ****ing money we cant even buy a 3rd star to come here. Consider a paycut if you care about the teams success.

In the words of Dame - "Plenty Money"

Its so frustrating 2 years in a row feeling like dark horses or contenders and then it all toilet bowling.

On paper we are better than 2019 WCF team. You look me in the virtual eyes and tell me Aminu is better than RoCo or Harkless is better than DJJ.

Ok Im obv frustrated. Gonna START drinking because for some reason I havent started yet.

I do hope yall have as good as night as possible as a Blazer fan. TGI

Nurkic played, the Jazz were on the 2nd night of a B2B, shot 27% from 3....and still beat us by ****ing 20 via a 2nd half rout

Get Melo out of the ****ing game and into a retirement home.

I was furious when I saw he was playing Kanter, Melo and Simons at the same time

How many more chances we giving Melo before we send him off peacefully to retirement

Lmao I still can’t believe this moron keeps playing Melo

. All the bad wrapped up into that 3rd quarter, inclusive of an alien invading Stotts’ brain, bad ISO, BAD MELO, missed open shots

The fact that Melo is allowed to jack up as many shots as he wants but no play any defense is exactly what’s wrong with this team.

Melo/Kanter on the floor together is just horrific to watch. DJJ should be playing all of Melo's minutes period to makeup Kanter's lack of defense.

We dont need Melo isoing when the game is slipping away. Nassir and DJ and RHJ when hes available should be eating up Melos and Ants minutes. Get mad at the team.
@MeloTheJazzKiller
Aka
MeloTheTeamKiller

I was reading the other day how even Phil Jackson thinks the guy killed his team. Which he did, just like every single team he's ever been on.

What a complete joke of a quarter. 16 ****ing points. Terry should just have called more timeouts. The game is now OVER. Why save your ****ing timeouts? Just so ****ing stupid. It's 100 percent over. Nice coaching terry. Call ****ing timeouts, use your protest. Now it's pointless. Doesn't he get it? You can't go down by 20 and expect anything to happen in 12 minutes against the ~best team in the league
Leave it to a Portlander to call the coach’s challenge a “protest”, haha.

One of the comments mentioned something about thinking perhaps Mitchell was better than Lillard. I went to compare per 36 stats and they were interesting:

Lillard:
29.2 points
7.7 assists
4.3 rebounds
3.2 turnovers
44.2% FG
37.7% 3PT on 10.9 attempts
93% FT on 10.3 attempts

Mitchell:
27.9 points
5.7 assists
4.8 rebounds
3 turnovers
43.9% FG
38.9% 3PT on 9.2 attempts
84.4% FT on 6 attempts

Lillard clearly has him beat on assists, and then FTA and 3PA. If Donovan could increase either FTA or 3PA by a small margin it would more than make up the difference. The only difference would then be the 2 assists.

I’ll cut em some slack, I live in Portland. We just got through our 5 months straight of dreary rainy and riots in one the most locked-down cities in Covid America. If I didn’t have jazz wins streaks I’d be pretty surly too.
That helps explain their lack of patience with Nurkic. And CJ.... but especially Nurkic.

I’ll cut em some slack, I live in Portland. We just got through our 5 months straight of dreary rainy and riots in one the most locked-down cities in Covid America. If I didn’t have jazz wins streaks I’d be pretty surly too.
I lived there for a year, the longest 5 years of my life.

I have been following the Blazers faithfully for 35 years. Tonight was the first time in more than a decade that I turn off a game before it's over. It's become unwatchable
I feel like we've seen a few different teams have a fan like this. The Jazz just suddenly hammer people and it sends a shock to the whole system.

We are watching a team who does everything we suck at. They play together, they play hard, they play smart, they get the best shot seemingly every possession, they might not be as talented as us, but guys know their roles.

Actually Jazz are more talented and know their roles.

One of the comments mentioned something about thinking perhaps Mitchell was better than Lillard. I went to compare per 36 stats and they were interesting:

Lillard:
29.2 points
7.7 assists
4.3 rebounds
3.2 turnovers
44.2% FG
37.7% 3PT on 10.9 attempts
93% FT on 10.3 attempts

Mitchell:
27.9 points
5.7 assists
4.8 rebounds
3 turnovers
43.9% FG
38.9% 3PT on 9.2 attempts
84.4% FT on 6 attempts

Lillard clearly has him beat on assists, and then FTA and 3PA. If Donovan could increase either FTA or 3PA by a small margin it would more than make up the difference. The only difference would then be the 2 assists.
Donovan is right where Lillard was at his age. In a few more years it is possible he could be Lillard with a little more defense.

“We are watching a team who does everything we suck at. They play together, they play hard, they play smart, they get the best shot seemingly every possession, they might not be as talented as us, but guys know their roles.”

I laughed my *** off at this comment. This is the one Blazer fan in the bunch that just isn’t very self aware. The Jazz roster is considerably more talented than Portland’s. While it’s not just a matter of Utah players knowing their roles, it just so happens that, yeah, they’re much better at that too.

“We are watching a team who does everything we suck at. They play together, they play hard, they play smart, they get the best shot seemingly every possession, they might not be as talented as us, but guys know their roles.”

I laughed my *** off at this comment. This is the one Blazer fan in the bunch that just isn’t very self aware. The Jazz roster is considerably more talented than Portland’s. While it’s not just a matter of Utah players knowing their roles, it just so happens that, yeah, they’re much better at that too.
Jazz could sweep their way through the finals and 75% of all NBA fans would swear that their team has "more talent" than the Jazz. Same is true when the Cougars or Utes are good too. . .

Full disclosure. I always thought this of Nebraska football too. . .

Nah this is a highly typical NBA fan. The vast majority of fans only know their own teams and whoever else is making major headlines. And every fan wants to think his team is just ::::this::: far from winning it all. Since the jazz don't really get the headlines and their players are more or less unknown this will be the typical response from the typical NBA fan.