What's new

R.I.P. The Tank

This team feels like the law of averages will catch up and kick them in the gonads.

Maybe??? Not sure that the law of averages applies though to a new team that’s still learning how to play together. I expect us to only get better as guys learn each other’s tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. At the very least, it should reduce our turnovers.

It's all good vibes now but it's going to be depressing to see Victor in a Spur uniform the next 15 years.
Ok but Just because the Jazz are not a bottom dweller after two games against fake contenders means very little in the grand scheme of things imo. They can still get lottery luck. They can still end up around 6-8 with a nice shot at the 1. They are unlikely to sustain good health all season, so even without trades at the deadline or something, odds are less than good they are a play in team or better anyway without adding upgrades at the deadline which is also a possibility I guess but doesn't seem probable.
There are far more options than a freak of nature like Vic who looks like his legs could snap in the NBA if they don't before that. I am always nervous when I watch him play it reminds me of Bol Bol or Chet.

like i said. literally zero reason to play the vets as all of them are here on short term contracts.

playing them heavy minutes not really gonna bring up their trade value either as all of our vets (conley/JC/Olynyk/beasley/lauri) have been in the league for years and the rest of the league already known too well what these guys are all about. or worse, we could risk getting them injured and potential killing their trade values.

will hardy needs to be reminded of the legend of ty corbin.

start focusing on playing young guys like kessler and ochai, you know? guys who are actually gonna be here long terms.

simple fix. not hard
The Young guys will learn bad habits playing starter minutes in games with no vets not good habits. they will continue on as is and Ochai will get some minutes for Gay when he is traded for a 2nd. Maybe give some more usuage to Sexton if JC is flipped. Overall Ochai and Sexton especially Sexton can step right in and the result is still wins if you are using Marky as the first option. I want to see a play in team using vets that gets a pick around 11-12 then uses other picks they have recently aquired to move up.

Imagine watching the last two games and being pissed. Just wanting to watch a bunch of losses and to lose Victor to the team that won more games than us.

I can't live like that.
I have no problem with winning games. I have problem with playing vets heavy minutes only to have them suffer season ending injuries and/or walk in FA with nothing in return. It's called a waste of asset. Then when Kessler/Ocahi request a trade in a year or two, they gonna say the only thing they miss about Utah are the mountains

Give them credit though. We can't lose them all and if we ever have to win a game, it’s better to beat a strong team than another tanking team cuz games are counted twice against them.

Not to mention we own the wolves first rounder this season so beating them also benefits us. I have no problem sweeping the wolves if it means better draft pick. But I still would much prefer winning with younger guys like Ochai/Kessler/Sexton

Ok but Just because the Jazz are not a bottom dweller after two games against fake contenders means very little in the grand scheme of things imo. They can still get lottery luck. They can still end up around 6-8 with a nice shot at the 1. They are unlikely to sustain good health all season, so even without trades at the deadline or something, odds are less than good they are a play in team or better anyway without adding upgrades at the deadline which is also a possibility I guess but doesn't seem probable.
There are far more options than a freak of nature like Vic who looks like his legs could snap in the NBA if they don't before that. I am always nervous when I watch him play it reminds me of Bol Bol or Chet.
I get it but why just give away their best roleplayer Bogey if they are actually trying to win games?

Veteran guys such as Conley, Olynyk, Beasley, Clarkson were out there to close out the game so they clearly want to win. I'm thrilled for Conley but it doesn't take away the fact they're getting W's on the backs of guys that won't even be here in 2 years. Guess it's just me but would prefer to win or lose with players that have a chance to be here longer term.

They still have 80 games and playoff teams will come with more intensity once Christmas arrives. Even with the flattened lottery odds it will just kinda suck if they miss out on a top pick because of one meaningless win. Look at the Lebron draft which is considered one of the best of all time. The top guys such as Wade, Bosh, Carmelo, James were all picked top 5 (along with Darko LOL). After that it was a huge fall to Kaman, Hinrich, and TJ Fords of the world.

I get it but why just give away their best roleplayer Bogey if they are actually trying to win games?

Even with the flattened lottery odds it will just kinda suck if they miss out on a top pick because of one meaningless win. Look at the Lebron draft which is considered one of the best of all time. The top guys such as Wade, Bosh, Carmelo, James were all picked top 5 (along with Darko LOL). After that it was a huge fall to Kaman, Hinrich, and TJ Fords of the world.
Let me respond to your first sentence before I remind you of all the current superstars drafted outside of the lottery.
I think it’s impossible contemporaneously for mere mortals to comprehend the machinations of a Jedi Master like Danny Ainge. Even given the tax savings, a straight up Bogey for Olynyk deal seemed to me like a gyp until I realized what a playmaker Olynyk is and how seamlessly he fits into our offensive schemes. A stretch five is exactly what this team required, not a 3 and D three.

I’ve learned not to question DA. Since he came aboard we’ve jettisoned players that either didn’t fit or didn’t want to be here and in the process stocked our cupboards with a lot of hope for the future. We also got rid of Snyder, hired Hardy and pulled out impossible wins with players that other teams may have already given up on. I think that the future is bright for us from here on regardless what direction we pursue regarding our own first rounder this year.

Last edited:
Let me respond to your first sentence before I remind you of all the current superstars drafted outside of the lottery.
I think it’s impossible contemporaneously for mere mortals to comprehend the machinations of a Jedi Master like Danny Ainge. Even given the tax savings, a straight up Bogey for Olynyk deal seemed to me like a gyp until I realized what a playmaker Olynyk is and how seamlessly he fits into our offensive schemes. A stretch five is exactly what this team required, not a 3 and D three.

I’ve learned not to question DA. Since he came aboard we’ve jettisoned players that either didn’t fit or didn’t want to be here and in the process stocked our cupboards with a lot of hope for the future. We also got rid of Snyder, hired Hardy and pulled out impossible wins with players that other teams may have already given up on. I think that the future is bright for us from here on regardless what direction we pursue regarding our own first rounder this year.

I agree with every word said here. Olynyk is madly underrated. Man was an important part of a Heat finals run 2 1/2 years ago.

Veteran guys such as Conley, Olynyk, Beasley, Clarkson were out there to close out the game so they clearly want to win. I'm thrilled for Conley but it doesn't take away the fact they're getting W's on the backs of guys that won't even be here in 2 years. Guess it's just me but would prefer to win or lose with players that have a chance to be here longer term.

They still have 80 games and playoff teams will come with more intensity once Christmas arrives. Even with the flattened lottery odds it will just kinda suck if they miss out on a top pick because of one meaningless win. Look at the Lebron draft which is considered one of the best of all time. The top guys such as Wade, Bosh, Carmelo, James were all picked top 5 (along with Darko LOL). After that it was a huge fall to Kaman, Hinrich, and TJ Fords of the world.
The Bogey move imo was him getting the shaft being where he was sent, given he should have been sent to a contender. But the pistons had Dannys guy, who he traded for and got the draft rights to from Dallas if I remember right. He basically drafted him, and definitely recruited him a lot. As uncoordinated as KO is, his shot is decent enough from deep as well, and he is a better passer.
I think its a wash on that and positional wise a better move than given credit for.
Also imo, trying to win does not equate to expecting to win. I think they expect to be about 500 and can easily move into looking to the draft and next year down the stretch if injuries take over, or Danny gets overpay offers for JC or Mike or even Someone they just got like Sexton.

I will never understand the player love for Bogey. Seems like a solid dude, but is the definition of "one dimensional." All the Olynyx haters don't understand the little things necessary to help your team. It ain't all about the stat line.

He was huge in OT last night AND I’m not convinced that he takes a backseat to our beloved Bogey from behind the three point line. I love the guy!
He played in OT? I thought he fouled out at the end of regulation

He kind of reminds me of Memo in ways. Little better of a facilitator, but maybe not as polished in the post. He plays his role well, and he's a great mentor/locker room guy.
Sure, but I don’t recall Memo doing as much ball handling and facilitating. As a playmaker he’s kind of unique I think. Also, he’s almost as unconscious as Clarkson is in his ability to fire away early in the shot clock before the defense has time to set up. So instinctive.

He played in OT? I thought he fouled out at the end of regulation
Looks like you got me Fish, I mean I was working on my second Bloody Mary by then but still, wow. Anyway he did hit some huge shots down the stretch including maybe the best shooting on the team with 8/14 and a perfect 5/5 from beyond the three point line. Impressive range as well.

Is it wild to say the KO trade made the Jazz better?

When it happened, yes. At this point, no.
I think ainge thought it would make us worse and was partly why he made the trade. So far i think he has been incorrect.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app