What's new

Racism and privilege

Right, they didn't invite them because they didn't agree with their lifestyle. Typically when you disagree with a lifestyle, it leads you to act accordingly. Nice to see you agreeing with me.

Typically, when you openly discriminate against others based on your personal disapproval of their lifestyle, you suffer consequences. Glad to see you agree with me.

Laughable comparison.

Why?

Let me ask you something OB. I know you're against guns, and you don't seem to like people who carry guns.

I get along well with several people in this forum who say they carry guns.

Lets say you know your neighbor has loaded guns in his house, for protection obviously,

Why is that obvious? There are many reasons to have guns in a house. However, I'll stipulate that in this case, the neighbor believes it offers protection of some sort.

and you know that he always carries around a loaded pistol. If he invites you over for dinner, would you go? Would you invite him over dinner, knowing that he would have a pistol on him? Perhaps you would, perhaps you wouldn't. But if you didn't, that would be you disagreeing with his lifestyle, and thus, being a bigot by not including him.

I don't recall ever feeling that the presence of a gun was a good reason not to eat a meal with someone. I used to game with a lot of military people; many had guns.

Since I have small kids, I'd rather not have someone come into my house with a gun, but I would still invaite them over sans gun (particularly if there would be alcohol served). I've seen at least one gun owner say that about his poker parties.

Are you saying that I should treat a gun as the same thing as a spouse?

I'm not sure how far "beyond" disagreeing you'd call that, but I'd say it's pretty mild

I agree, both parties involved took a relatively mild action. The privilege arises by the couple thinking they could discriminate publically and not suffer consequences. That's what they have done in the past, apparently.

If I start a club for my friends and me, a men's club let's say, for the express purpose of building up that comaraderie of my buddies and me, you know because we were best friends in high school, and we do not allow women to come to our meetings, does that make me a bigot?

No. You are not pretending these are parties for the neighborhood.

If the women, and the men who didn't attend your club, stopped inviting the members of your club to parties, is that something you should complain about, because you have some sort of right to be at those parties?

I agree, both parties involved took a relatively mild action. The privilege arises by the couple thinking they could discriminate publically and not suffer consequences. That's what they have done in the past, apparently.

I thought it sounded as though they'd never been faced with that sort of quandary at all.

Not sure if it's naivety or stupidity - but not something I'd consider privilege.

I thought it sounded as though they'd never been faced with that sort of quandary at all.

Not sure if it's naivety or stupidity - but not something I'd consider privilege.

Go back and read the cartoon you linked. ;) Privilege means you don't need to know, it allows you to be stupid and/or naive.

In another thread, we have another good reason it's pointless to single out people as racist. Stereotypes are racist, and all people have some racist stereotypes. Some people have more than others, but stereotyping is an inevitable feature of being human.

In another thread, we have another good reason it's pointless to single out people as racist. Stereotypes are racist, and all people have some racist stereotypes. Some people have more than others, but stereotyping is an inevitable feature of being human.

Question: is stereotyping always wrong, or does it ever serve a valid purpose? Another, is there any basis for stereotyping that is in any way meaningful?

Question: is stereotyping always wrong, or does it ever serve a valid purpose? Another, is there any basis for stereotyping that is in any way meaningful?

Stereotyping is always inaccurate. More specifically, a stereotype is a model of the world, and all models are inaccurate to one degree or another.

Edit to add: the wrongness comes when stereotyping results in differential treatment for superficial reasons.

Stereotyping is an essential feature of human cognition. Our brains would be almost paralyzed without relying on those sort of simplifications.

Interesting question. Give me an example of a stereotype you think is right or one that servers a purpose and I'll tell you if I think it's wrong.

Interesting question. Give me an example of a stereotype you think is right or one that servers a purpose and I'll tell you if I think it's wrong.

Black people typically don't have dads that are around.

Jews are good with money.

Mormons are good people.

Southern (Kentucky, West Virginia, Mississippi) people are inbreds.

White people can't jump.

Black people can't swim.

Asians are smart.

Women (especially Asians) can't drive.

Rich people don't care about poor people.

Poor people are lazy.

Black people like fried chicken and grape kool-aid.

Is this enough? I've got lots more.