What's new

Re-Tool Younger Trade Idea

The only way that happens is if we get some borderline all star addition at the wing without sacrificing much to get that player.

Outside of that, Rudy at max+ will keep us from competing for 2nd round more than leading us anywhere close to contending.

But hey, keep pushing your pro-Conley and pro-Rudy agendas. Your lack of creativity never surprises me.

Sent from my SM-G970U using JazzFanz mobile app
Yeah nerd, youre constant proposals of trying for Terry Rozier last year where so creative and really pushing the Jazz forward.

Im not a huge Bogey fan, but he was the Jazz's 3rd best player all season. Simply having him for the playoffs and another solid rotation player to replace a guy like Niang will help a ton. The Jazz don't need to do anything drastic unless Gobert is saying he won't sign.

Rudy is one dimensional on defense. He can shut down an area of the court but can't shut down an individual player or defend perimeter players.

Who does better on post plays vs. Gobert, compared to their season average? Which centers are better on the perimeter?

Rudy is one dimensional on offense. He can set amazing screens that lead to him finishing lobs. He can't create offense, dribble, post up, etc.

You just described two dimensions.

He is at his prime. When he regresses, we will grow to despise Rudy if he makes too much.

In five years he'll be 33. Still pretty close to his prime.

TRADE IDEA

Utah gets 2020 #15 pick from Orlando, Aaron Gordon and Evan Fournier

Philly gets Mike Conley

Orlando gets #23 utah pick, #21 philly pick and Tobias Harris

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app

TRADE IDEA

Philly gets Mike Conley

Thoughts?

Seems like a lot to give up for Orlando just for Tobias and Philly just for Conley (unless they really hate that Tobias contract).

Yeah nerd, youre constant proposals of trying for Terry Rozier last year where so creative and really pushing the Jazz forward.
We could have signed Rozier without having to give up two draft picks and Crowder. And he makes half as much as Conley. And oh yeah, he can play defense against good players which Conley can't.

You're so dumb that you make my arguments for me.

Signing Rozier would have been so much smarter than the Conley trade

Who does better on post plays vs. Gobert, compared to their season average? Which centers are better on the perimeter?

You just described two dimensions.

In five years he'll be 33. Still pretty close to his prime.
In the playoffs centers don't stay in the game to guard the perimeter. Unless they can shoot the 3.

One dimension on offense and one on defense. Its easy to attack on defense and limit on the offense.

There are no centers worth $30+ at 30+ years old.

TRADE IDEA

Philly gets Mike Conley

Thoughts?

Decent idea. Well done.

If we got Gordon and Fournier for Conley, that's pretty fair. A pick would be nice but maybe not necessary. Start Fournier at SG and Don at PG.

Not sure if Philly would trade Harris for Conley straight up. Due to contracts, maybe...

Orlando getting Harris back might be a really good fit. Harris next to Vucevic is a lot of floor spreading opening space in the middle.

We could have signed Rozier without having to give up two draft picks and Crowder. And he makes half as much as Conley. And oh yeah, he can play defense against good players which Conley can't.

You're so dumb that you make my arguments for me.

Signing Rozier would have been so much smarter than the Conley trade

not particularly impressed with Rozier TBH. but trading for Conley was a move so bad that it makes the Rozier signing looks decent

In the playoffs centers don't stay in the game to guard the perimeter. Unless they can shoot the 3.

So, none are better than Gobert. How about that.

One dimension on offense and one on defense. Its easy to attack on defense and limit on the offense.

Repetition doesn't make you correct. It just looks dumb when you can't bother to defend your points.

Which 30+ centers were as good five years ago as Gobert is today?

Gobert was ranked as the best switch defender in the NBA this year clown.

Marc Gasol got dumped by Memphis and won't get a big deal again.
This is a really silly comparison to bring in... it really doesn’t make the point you think it does.

A) Marc Gasol is going on 36, not his early 30s.
B) Despite A, he was a key piece to winning Toronto a ****ing championship.
C) Dude was a literal all star at 32, and still at that level in years following.

If you’re going to take anything from looking at Gasol, it should definitely point towards being fine with Rudy getting a max.

Rudy is firmly within his prime, it’s not like he’s clinging onto the tail end of it hoping for one last substantial contract... the obsession with age to the point of not wanting to give multi year max deals to dudes in their late 20s is neurotic as hell. That’s exactly when you should *want* to sign guys.

Rudy is one dimensional on defense. He can shut down an area of the court but can't shut down an individual player or defend perimeter players.

Rudy is one dimensional on offense. He can set amazing screens that lead to him finishing lobs. He can't create offense, dribble, post up, etc.

He is at his prime. When he regresses, we will grow to despise Rudy if he makes too much. It happened with AK. It happened with Ostertag. It will happen Jingles next year. Thats why we can't pay Rudy too much. I hate when people hate our legends.

He’s not one dimensional for hell sakes!!

if Rudy was a one dimensional defender our defense would have collapsed within the first 5 games leading up to a 20 win season.

Rudy is amongst all-time-greats in terms of switch/help defense but only above average in terms of one on one defense.

TRADE IDEA

Philly gets Mike Conley

Thoughts?

Would you trade a perennial all star in his prime and a serviceable starter / 3rd scoring option PLUS downgrade your draft pick for Tobias Harris who used to play for your team but left on his own free will?

Orlando doesn't do it.

Perhaps if they kept the #15 AND got the #23. Then they give up 2 assets for 2 assets and flexibility.

Would Philly really offer the versatile, valuable Tobias Harris for Mike Conley?

It makes fantastic sense for the jazz, but not for orlando or Philly.

Why not just offer Mike Conley for Tobias straight up? If its a play to dump his contract then thats the motivation and there is no need to involve orlando.

If orlando wants to shed gordon (which i doubt) then offer mike conley for him and aminu (salary dump) straight up.

You all make good points. In many ways, I'm wrong. I'm just so incredibly undecided on what to do with this roster.

Maybe it's not Rudy. Maybe its just that I have no faith in the center position. I dont see titles being won by teams led by overpaid centers.

I don't see a title run in the next couple years due to poor roster decisions. I think giving Rudy anything near a supermax is a worse idea than trading him to build a long term future around Don.

You all make good points. In many ways, I'm wrong. I'm just so incredibly undecided on what to do with this roster.

Maybe it's not Rudy. Maybe its just that I have no faith in the center position. I dont see titles being won by teams led by overpaid centers.

I don't see a title run in the next couple years due to poor roster decisions. I think giving Rudy anything near a supermax is a worse idea than trading him to build a long term future around Don.

Building around what other teams are doing and their success is setting up to fail. Just because other teams aren't building around a Gobert player doesn't mean we can't win with him. No one else is like him.

Golden State did things very different and it turned out okay. Build around youre strengths.

If we had a biggest FA since boozer/Okur than we probably win against the team pushing LAC to game 7. His injury combined with missing at Green and Davis was our biggest problem. Fix those and we are a contender this year.

How many teams are missing their second leading scorer and do well on the playoffs? Add that to 2 FAs expected to be in the rotation rush played 0 minutes. That makes a huge difference.

The jazz need to rectify those things. Secondly they should move Conley if they can get good value. That's it. I'd Rudy doesn't want to be here or Mitchell doesn't want to play with him then we have another issue to deal with. I have no idea about that.

It just feels like this roster is in purgatory. Haven't been impressed by Zanik/DL roster building in recent years.

Age of the roster isn't the biggest issue IMO it's more to the fact that the players on the roster just doesn't lineup with that of a title contender. When the team lost Favs you know the interior defense was going to be weaker which is fine that's why you have a DPOY player in Gobert to cover the paint. What needed to happen was to get more athleticism and size on the wings instead they went out and got Conley and Bogey which each of those players alone wouldn't have been a bad addition but to get both and putting them both in the starting lineup you could just tell the defense wasn't going to be there based on the roster makeup.

Only way we should trade Gobert is if one of a few things happen.
A. He won't accept anything less than the super max. (most likely of the 3 scenarios.)
B. A team comes along and gives up a haul near what OKC got for PG.
or C. Don and Rudy just simply can't work together anymore. (Based on how they were playing together in the playoffs, I don't see this as being that big of an issue as it was maybe few months ago.)

I 100% believe this team can build with both Don and Rudy on the roster but it's going take some roster shake up and major internal improvement. Moving Conley would be priority number 1 for me. His fit in the roster combined with his contract just aren't what the team needs.

Building around what other teams are doing and their success is setting up to fail. Just because other teams aren't building around a Gobert player doesn't mean we can't win with him. No one else is like him.

Golden State did things very different and it turned out okay. Build around youre strengths.

If we had a biggest FA since boozer/Okur than we probably win against the team pushing LAC to game 7. His injury combined with missing at Green and Davis was our biggest problem. Fix those and we are a contender this year.

How many teams are missing their second leading scorer and do well on the playoffs? Add that to 2 FAs expected to be in the rotation rush played 0 minutes. That makes a huge difference.

The jazz need to rectify those things. Secondly they should move Conley if they can get good value. That's it. I'd Rudy doesn't want to be here or Mitchell doesn't want to play with him then we have another issue to deal with. I have no idea about that.

This is a very good post. Many good points.

I don't agree with the GS comparison because they had 3 elite defenders (Klay, Iggy, Green) along with 2 elite shooters (Steph and Klay), but I get what you are saying. Maybe we can do it a way that hasn't been done since Iverson/Mutombo. They didn't win a title, but you get my drift.

I hope Rudy is willing to accept a deal that allows us to keep him AND have enough to build around Don and him. We have to get a couple more perimeter defenders. And Favors would be nice.