What's new

Rebounding - How Do We Improve?

Offensive rebounding is overrated....because to get an offensive rebound it means your missing too many shots! Why not work for a GOOD shot or like last year, a DUNK.....and not have to worry about getting an offensive rebound! Now defensive rebounding is another story! You must grab the defensive rebound 95% of the time or your going to be in for a long season!

Everyone BOX OUT. It's literally that simple.

At least 90% of the offensive rebounds we've given up over the past two games have come down to our guys not boxing out, not putting a body on a body. Several times its been an opposig player swooping into a crowd of 3 or 4 Jazz players who are all ball watching for an easy putback.

Now is boxing out going to make us the best rebounding team in the league? No. Is it going to prevent all offensive rebounds? No. Are we still going to struggle on the glass at times given our personnel? Yes.

But if our guys are boxing out and fighting for rebounds every night then its going to keep us close enough in the rebounding battle every night to win on the scoreboard most nights. Because our defense is great.

Cavs may be interested in trading Tristan Kardashian ( uhm, Thompson)... he is pretty much rich mans Ed Davis. Davis and Exum for Thompson anyone?

Cavs may be interested in trading Tristan Kardashian ( uhm, Thompson)... he is pretty much rich mans Ed Davis. Davis and Exum for Thompson anyone?

I mean I'd do it in a second. Thompson is solid and can finish on pick and roll... at his finest he gave the Warriors issues in the finals. He's also expiring, so clear some cap space. Please tell me why Cleveland would do it?

Everyone BOX OUT. It's literally that simple.

At least 90% of the offensive rebounds we've given up over the past two games have come down to our guys not boxing out, not putting a body on a body. Several times its been an opposig player swooping into a crowd of 3 or 4 Jazz players who are all ball watching for an easy putback.

Now is boxing out going to make us the best rebounding team in the league? No. Is it going to prevent all offensive rebounds? No. Are we still going to struggle on the glass at times given our personnel? Yes.

But if our guys are boxing out and fighting for rebounds every night then its going to keep us close enough in the rebounding battle every night to win on the scoreboard most nights. Because our defense is great.
Everyone boxes and the ball just lands on the court....

The Jazz just don't have good out of area rebounders or 50/50 ball guys outside of Ed Davis.

I had visions of George Hill who came in and just gave us exactly the best case of what we thought he could from day one.

I think Quin needs to re-visit parts of the offense. We are a high turnover team every year... I don't know. Not panicking on Mike yet. I think you can chalk up the first few to being new and then he's had a good game... an average game... and a bad game.

I don't understand how teams are getting in and stopping the Rudy lob without us getting a ton of 3 point attempts. I'm not smart enough to figure out what is going on.
On your last sentence. That's what's so frustrating. I expected the defense to get worse. I expected rebounding problems.

But.... I also expected our offense to be hella Rudy dunks and/or lots of three point bombs and one of the best offenses in the NBA. Quin is supposedly an offensive genius and he has the right pieces to fit his offense (on paper anyway). Seem to have guys with the right attitude and work ethic. Yet the offense still has these 5-8 minute stretches where we can't get a basket.

Wtf? That's all I can really say. Well, maybe a smh too.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using JazzFanz mobile app

I mean I'd do it in a second. Thompson is solid and can finish on pick and roll... at his finest he gave the Warriors issues in the finals. He's also expiring, so clear some cap space. Please tell me why Cleveland would do it?
Cause Exum duh. Didn't you know he was a #5 pick and he is fast? He is also basically a senior (after a redshirt year and maybe a Mormon mission) in college (or maybe high school).

It would be like they were getting a top 5 pick!

Cause Exum duh. Didn't you know he was a #5 pick and he is fast? He is also basically a senior (after a redshirt year and maybe a Mormon mission) in college (or maybe high school).

I mean maybe if we gave them like $5M in cash and let Quicken loans refinance the arena and all of the Miller dealerships we could have a deal.

For a young, versatile “talent” in Exum?

For a young, versatile “talent” in Exum?

If we can tape him together for 4-5 games maybe you can sell them on him being a great wingman for Garland and Sexton. Stranger things have happened... but we prolly need to all assume that Exum is a negative contract when considering his trade “value”. While he is young and versatile he also is Ded.

Garland, Sexton, Nance, Exum, Love, a super high 1st rounder in 2020. That’s a decent base.

Conley isn't a rebounding guard.

Neither was Rubio in that case if we compare their last seasons side by side.

Rubio 3.6, Conley 3.4 last season.

My comment wasn't created to say that Conley is a rebounding guard in any case. It's to point to the fact that his decision making, and general feel for the game is way off right now. Whether it's jumping up for a rebound way too soon, his loose handle at times, his poor shooting, and uncharacteristic high turnover games.

That little clip from Andy Larsen shows a player who is completely off rhythm with the game of basketball right now. Completely.

If Dante did six years in the military after high school, he’d still only be a college freshman. Cut him some slack.

Everyone boxes and the ball just lands on the court....

That is 100% false. Go back and watch the offensive rebounds given up the last few games. On the Harrison Barnes game winner 3 or 4 Jazz players were ball watching, nobody putting a body on a body, he flashes through for an easy putback. Jamychal Green had at least two of these same plays in the 4th last night in crowds of 3 or 4 Jazz players.

Love me some Bogey but he doesn't box out. Green doesn't box out enough. Niang doesn't. DM crashes for boards but doesn't box. Etc

That is 100% false. Go back and watch the offensive rebounds given up the last few games. On the Harrison Barnes game winner 3 or 4 Jazz players were ball watching, nobody putting a body on a body, he flashes through for an easy putback. Jamychal Green had at least two of these same plays in the 4th last night in crowds of 3 or 4 Jazz players.

Love me some Bogey but he doesn't box out. Green doesn't box out enough. Niang doesn't. DM crashes for boards but doesn't box. Etc
No, it's a literal fact. There is more to rebounding than just boxing out. Someone actually has to track the ball and grab it.

On your last sentence. That's what's so frustrating. I expected the defense to get worse. I expected rebounding problems.

But.... I also expected our offense to be hella Rudy dunks and/or lots of three point bombs and one of the best offenses in the NBA. Quin is supposedly an offensive genius and he has the right pieces to fit his offense (on paper anyway). Seem to have guys with the right attitude and work ethic. Yet the offense still has these 5-8 minute stretches where we can't get a basket.

Wtf? That's all I can really say. Well, maybe a smh too.

The schedule hasn't been too kind, and there hasn't been time to work on any of the things that need to be worked on since the start of the season. After the next two games, we get a few cupcakes and we spend consecutive days at home to get some practice time in and make adjustments. There is absolutely no reason to panic just yet.

If a team shoots a lot of 3 pointers on us they are automatically going to get offensive rebounds as the ball "clangs" off the rim and high over the head of even the most skilled players who are boxing out! Not much you can do when the shot "clangs" off the rim way over your head on a 3 point shot! However, close in offensive rebounds can be eliminated or at least minimized by boxing out properly! upload_2019-11-4_20-38-3.jpeg

Rodman was great not only because he boxed out. His effort and anticipation for where the ball would go off the rim were unparalleled.

The point of the post was he's 6'7 and is a great rebounder, much like (as someone else mentioned) Barkley who was also undersized.