What's new

Religious Worship and Covid

Ireland for me. People mind their own business and are pleasant with you.

Imagine being of service to others other than yourself.

Whoa! What a concept! Never been to Ireland. Visited London and France last summer. Really liked London. Ireland and Iceland are definitely on the list.

How is being a financial clerk since the advent of online donations? I was FC back like 8 years ago, well before online was an option. Took 1.5-2 hrs each Sunday, if I’m remembering correctly. I’d imagine most people donate online and probably a huge benefit to clerks and bishopric who spend more of their Sunday away from family. It should be criminal to donate in person.

Most do online. The elderly and kids are the vast majority of those handing in envelopes. We have one lady that has an automatic bill pay set up to just mail her tithing check directly to the Bishop. You can even opt to have reimbursements direct deposited via ACH now as well. There will always be the need to write checks though.

Sent from my iPad using JazzFanz mobile app

And as a PS, people shouldn’t throw the term Nazis around so much. It makes you look like a fool and not a scholar of history in the slightest.

When the government starts rounding up people based on their gender, race, religion or political views and executing them en masse then we can.
Okay, I'll be super patient. I hope I'm not on the first train. Only after I see other people being exterminated will I bring up parallels. Wouldn't want to look silly!

And as a PS, people shouldn’t throw the term Nazis around so much. It makes you look like a fool and not a scholar of history in the slightest.

When the government starts rounding up people based on their gender, race, religion or political views and executing them en masse then we can.

But I think it’s fair to bring up fascism, esp. since we have a history of it here. I think what some may forget is that fascism will always display home grown roots, and will reflect concerns, issues, and the history of the nation in which it appears. And mentioning fascism and Trump in the same sentence is not the same as saying Trump is a Nazi, or America’s Hitler. Trump is Trump, and nobody else, but he is part of an ugly stream:

And as historian Timothy Snyder pointed out in a recent Washington Post commentary, regarding Trump’s now fairly apparent re-election strategy:

“A fascist guide to commentary on elections would have eight parts: contradict yourself to test the faith of your followers; tell a big lie to draw attention from basic realities; manufacture a crisis; designate enemies; make an appeal to pride and humiliation; express hostility to voting; cast doubt on democratic procedures; and aim for personal power”.

Last edited:
My father is a retired Episcopal priest. His local parish has had troubles keeping a regular priest, so he has often been filling in while they work on hiring a new one. This was the situation when COVID hit. They haven't had service since. Which is a shame for me, because we're planning to bury my son who died on March 1st in the garden they have there, and we haven't been able to.

How sad. I hope this is resolved soon.

Sent from my moto z3 using JazzFanz mobile app

How has covid affected your religious worship? If you attend church, what changes have been made to safeguard against Covid? My wife and I haven’t attended since March as we have some health concerns. But we’ve enjoyed having the intimacy of a private study session on Sunday and without the stress of callings. There are things we miss obviously. But I’ll admit it’s actually been a lot nicer than I thought.
I've always felt that religion is best practiced at home in isolation. Congregations drag you away from your inner understanding of it with norms, which is in their nature.

Religious person I know posting on instagram something to the effect of "God gave us bodies that can heal, so screw masks and pray." Seems shortsighted to me.

Religious person I know posting on instagram something to the effect of "God gave us bodies that can heal, so screw masks and pray." Seems shortsighted to me.

Also crazy super religious "friend" saying Trump will be re elected then assasinated, which will fulfill some prophesy. Not sure which one.

No religious person has ever died of cancer.. or heart disease... or influenza... or

I’ve never understood that whole ideology. I choose to wear a mask whenever I go in a public access building, whether it’s Home Depot, Smith’s, church.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz mobile app