What's new

Resign Conley... do or don’t

And let’s be clear. Mike’s been a great teammate with a great attitude the entire time he has been here and has played great when he has played. He got his first all-star appearance here. It was great for Mike, and he represented the organization well.

In the end, was it worth it in hindsight? **** no, unless he comes back in game 6 and leads us to wins in games 6 and 7.

The smarter move would have been to give up much less cap space, and much fewer assets for a much younger Malcolm Brogdon that Milwaukee very stupidly offloaded that offseason. Another DL special.

DL has ****ed up so much the head spins, including getting bent over by the ****ing Knicks on draft night trades this past year. If Ainge were the GM, we’d never be the cuckolded side in trades or get worse deals than other teams for the same players or miss out on better deals for better picks like we did on draft night. If if recall correctly, we gave up a pick to offload Davis to New York, and New York actually GOT a pick from Minnesota for Davis.

Last edited:
He should only come back for a substantial discount. If you bring him back, you absolutely need a reliable backup.

The problem is, who do you replace him with if he walks?

And let’s be clear. Mike’s been a great teammate with a great attitude this entire year and has played great when he has played. He got his first all-star appearance here. It was great for Mike, and he represented the organization well.

In the end, was it worth it in hindsight? **** no, unless he comes back in game 6 and leads us to wins in games 6 and 7.
Exactly this. I have zero animosity towards him, but the gamble did not pay off.

He should only come back for a substantial discount. If you bring him back, you absolutely need a reliable backup.

We won’t replace him with a player of similar quality. I haven’t looked closely at the cap situation, but we are a little ****ed it would seem. There will need to be some wizardry by new management.

I think the choice this offseason will be between: (1) trying to run it back and hope for health next year; or (2) consciously taking a short term step backwards to re-tool to hopefully be younger and better when Mitchell hits his prime.

I know DL will choose (1). I hope the hypothetical new GM chooses (2). I don’t believe the current core can win a title. Option (1) just leads us to a few more good years with no championships and the retirement of the aging core for nothing in return. We then lose Mitchell to a coastal city and start a full rebuild. I think we build for Mitchell’s prime and bide our time.

The curveball will be if we are dealing with an “Unsalvageable” situation, which I am sort of expecting.

Last edited:
He's a fantastic fit to what we do it's just sad we are not able to witness the full potential of this team. He could probably get 20mil out there.

We need to re-tool and get on Don’s timeline. I’d like to see all the old guys gone.
You have to have a few veterans willing to come off the bench. Ingles and Royce should be coming off the bench and not starting. Jazz need to get rid of regular season guys like Niang, Oni and the aging Favors. Keep Hughes and Udoka. Tell Forrest he needs to work on his jump shot and if he comes back next year with a jump shot then keep him if not then he goes. All the others Brantley, Morgan, Big E, Thomas, Niang, Oni can go.

You make a trade with someone else to replace Mike, and of course it doesn’t make the team better next year. But I’m not sure next year is what we should be planning for.

Ummmm he was load managed... I’m not saying we should let him walk but build the roster with the understanding there is a 40% chance he sits some playoff games and will miss 25 games a year... pay him accordingly.
I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but Mike has missed ~ONE-THIRD of his regular season AND playoff games with the Jazz because of hamstring issues.

Betting that you’re gonna get more out of him at this stage of his career is straight up ****ing stupid.

We won’t replace him with a player of similar quality. I haven’t looked closely at the cap situation, but we are a little ****ed it would seem. There will need to be some wizardry by new management.

I think the choice this offseason will be between: (1) trying to run it back and hope for health next year; or (2) consciously taking a short term step backwards to re-tool to hopefully be younger and better when Mitchell hits his prime.

I know DL will choose (1). I hope the hypothetical new GM chooses (2). I don’t believe the current core can win a title. Option (1) just leads us to a few more good years with no championships and the retirement of the aging core for nothing in return. We then lose Mitchell to a coastal city and start a full rebuild. I think we build for Mitchell’s prime and bide our time.

The curveball will be if we are dealing with an “Unsalvageable” situation, which I am sort of expecting.
The problem with running it back is all the other teams are trying or are improving. You have to sure up the bench with athletic guys who are not undersized. Players who can make shots when things break down. I just don't understand why some of the other players have not been given a chance to play during the regular season. Put Brantley or Hughes in with some of the starters or bench players to see how he does. You cannot evaluate guys during scrub time. I know Udoka was hurt most of the season but when he was deemed healthy why not play him some of Favors minutes. You could rest Favors and get him some help. We have a rotation of about 7 guys and the rest are either unproven draft picks/g-leaguers or Niang and Oni who both have shown they are scrub guys in the playoffs. People forget that Bryon Russell was the 12 man and close to be cut when someone went down and Jerry gave him a shot. You never know what will happen when a guy gets an opportunity.

I’m sure it’s been mentioned elsewhere, but Mike has missed ~ONE-THIRD of his regular season AND playoff games with the Jazz because of hamstring issues.

Betting that you’re gonna get more out of him at this stage of his career is straight up ****ing stupid.
With Mike we are in between a rock and a hard place though. We need to retain him or else we have zero chance of having him when it counts... if we retain him we have a 60% chance of having him when it counts. We just have to bring him back with the right terms.

We also have to fill out the bench with guys that can step in and help us through the regular season competently and allow us to be some form of competent without Mike on the floor. We will have to get lucky... all title teams get a little lucky.

With Mike we are in between a rock and a hard place though. We need to retain him or else we have zero chance of having him when it counts... if we retain him we have a 60% chance of having him when it counts. We just have to bring him back with the right terms.

We also have to fill out the bench with guys that can step in and help us through the regular season competently and allow us to be some form of competent without Mike on the floor. We will have to get lucky... all title teams get a little lucky.
It sounds like a player like Caruso, Bane, or Maledon would be real useful. It’s too bad these blue-chippers would never be available for the Jazz.

Sarcasm aside, you’re preaching to the choir about Mike. Happy to have him at the right price, but the price isn’t that high.

If he’s $20 million when healthy, then take a third of that away and you’ve got your wage. Because for real, he’s not going to be healthier. If anything, he will be less so.

If the goal is to continue to build around Rudy, we have to keep Conley. If the goal is to build around Don, keeping Conley only makes sense if it comes at a relative bargain.