What's new

Resign Watson

• Thread starter Deleted member 848
  • Start date
I've read Deron publicly lobby Sloan to run more. Which I sort of understand, but why would he let Watson run as both a backup and a starter? And doesn't Sloan let Deron call the plays if he wants to anyway?

I'm also kind of talking out of my ***. Does Watson run as much as a starter in these games? I've seen about 20 minutes of them.

While Sloan doesnt like the team to compete in a running game with teams like the Suns or Warriors of the past, he has always emphasized pushing the ball up the floor whenever there is a chance. you can even see him in games often urging his PG to push the ball up quickly.
Even recently he has said that unless we rebound the ball well it is difficult to get out and push the tempo. I dont think Deron has to convince Sloan to run more.

I am guessing Deron will blame the rebounding as the reason for not running more.

No one expected Watson to take on such an important role with the Jazz at this point in the season, but he's had to with Williams being out. He has played well for the most part in the four games he's started. After being plagued by foul trouble against the Bobcats on Monday, he rebounded with a nice performance against the Rockets.

"He pushes the ball a lot, gets us going offensively, gets some easy points — he makes sure to get us those and picks up the energy," said Jazz rookie Gordon Hayward, who joined Watson in the starting lineup on Wednesday and had 10 points. "He does a great job for us."

Even the rookie has noticed it

Anyone have a diarrhea type feeling that Watson will be our starting PG in 2013?

he will be 40 then right? yes agree with re-signing him for next year. If only Portland did not plan to sign him for 10 mill a year for 5. Ronnie Price better be gone though.

While Sloan doesnt like the team to compete in a running game with teams like the Suns or Warriors of the past, he has always emphasized pushing the ball up the floor whenever there is a chance. you can even see him in games often urging his PG to push the ball up quickly.
Even recently he has said that unless we rebound the ball well it is difficult to get out and push the tempo. I dont think Deron has to convince Sloan to run more.

Although, you have to at least find it suspicious that the teams that run the break well are teams that coaches either never shut up about running, or coaches that design their entire scheme around it. Jerry seems very passive-aggressive about getting the ball up the floor quickly and making something happen.

Thanks for re-iterating one minute grammatical error repeatedly throughout this thread. I get the point you goddamn grammar nazis lol. Seriously though lets be pro-active here and throw him a contract before portland screws us yet again.

I'm basing this off the few games I get to see on ESPN, but the other day against goldenstate Watson was killed by Curry. He'd play defense up till halfcourt, then let Curry get away from him every play. And he didn't score many points or anything. His game looked less than average to me.

I'm basing this off the few games I get to see on ESPN, but the other day against goldenstate Watson was killed by Curry. He'd play defense up till halfcourt, then let Curry get away from him every play. And he didn't score many points or anything. His game looked less than average to me.

Sick. Please refrain from making any sort of claim about a players skills after only seeing him in excerpts of one match, I really dont feel like explaining why. After seeing millsap drain 46 (aka higher than boozers career high i think...correct me if mistaken) against bosh clearly millsap is top 3 pfs in the nba no contest; witnessing AK47 getting a 5x6 against the lakers defintiely makes him one of the most versatile basketball players of all time; Deron williams getting 5 points and 5 turnovers against the celtics clearly shows us that hes incompetent offensively and defensively as a pg and we must trade him for carlos arroyo + 2nd round pick. List goes on.

Brian Smith of SLTRIB just mailed me saying that he has brought this up with Deron and there will be a mention of it in Friday's paper and a more detailed writeup later on. Lets see what Deron has to say about this

First followup on this in SLTRIB:
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51186969-87/hayward-jazz-nuggets-rookie.html.csp?page=1
Jazz guard Deron Williams said that he has seen the team in a new and sometimes different light while watching the last four games from the bench, due to a strained tendon in his right wrist.

One of the primary things that has caught his eye: The way that reserve point guard Earl Watson pushes the tempo at every opportunity.Williams prefers to run when possible. But he acknowledged that there have been times this season when he pressed the accelerator, only to wonder where are the rest of his teammates.

At times I stopped pushing it, which is not what I want to do,” Williams said.

Maybe sometimes his teammates dont run as hard because they think Deron wouldnt be pushing the tempo anyways. It can get mutual.

Looks like everyone on the team could use a couple of games off to watch from the bench and realize what they could do to help the team more.

First followup on this in SLTRIB:
https://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/jazz/51186969-87/hayward-jazz-nuggets-rookie.html.csp?page=1

Maybe sometimes his teammates dont run as hard because they think Deron wouldnt be pushing the tempo anyways. It can get mutual.

Looks like everyone on the team could use a couple of games off to watch from the bench and realize what they could do to help the team more.

I see Deron routinely trying to get out and run only to find nobody is running with him. I think he could definitely push the tempo more often regardless of the teammates but it's like you said, it can get mutual. It's hard to play 1 on 5 cause your teammates are still lollygagging behind you.

Hopefully the time off will end up being a blessing in disguise, I just hope he gets back soon and rejuvinates himself and the whole team.