What's new

Restore Your Faith in Humanity...

addictionary

Mods please carry this thread to the original one. I can't find it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Jmisv1Spck

The potential of the human race is limitless. There is nothing we would no tbe able to accomplish if we got out of our own way. Since that will never happen due to the emotional nature of humanity it comes off as a cruel joke.

The potential of the human race is limitless. There is nothing we would no tbe able to accomplish if we got out of our own way. Since that will never happen due to the emotional nature of humanity it comes off as a cruel joke.[/QUOTE]

so laugh anyway.

hah hah. beats the whole victim mentality.

Actually, I think our potential is not "limitless", and I think our emotional selves are worth the whole universe, and more. Like "love" for example. What would the Universe be worth without that?

growing up means, generally, getting a more realistic notion about ourselves, and others. . . a better perspective. And kids should be kids, and young adults should be young adults, and it's useless to expect something more. And while "knowing our limits" and "knowing our potential" are sorta undefined "virtues", these seemingly contradictory notions are things that, when used sensibly, can really give us some traction in life, and help us to grow. . . . . and, obviously, these horizons do change as we grow or move along somehow.

No need to despair just yet, bro. We've got a while, still. . . . . and setting our sights on this world or this life is sorta devaluing ourselves and what our potential can be. Anyone who doesn't have some values that transcend this life is "shorting his own stock."

Nice post babe. I am curious, what is your take on depression? Clinical depression not mopey teenager depression most go through as their hormones settle down and grow out of. Maybe this belongs in the longest thread, but seems to fit where this convo is going.

The potential of the human race is limitless. There is nothing we would no tbe able to accomplish if we got out of our own way. Since that will never happen due to the emotional nature of humanity it comes off as a cruel joke.

It doesn't appear the kid thinks it's just a cruel joke. To others it might be, but f**k them. To others it might be seen as just a play to get some good PR.. and f**k them too.

The only person whose opinion really matters on this is that kid's. If that kid ends up super stoked, and they have made even one of his days of his shortened life, I'm glad they could, and would do it.

F**k the haters.

It doesn't appear the kid thinks it's just a cruel joke. To others it might be, but f**k them. To others it might be seen as just a play to get some good PR.. and f**k them too.

The only person whose opinion really matters on this is that kid's. If that kid ends up super stoked, and they have made even one of his days of his shortened life, I'm glad they could, and would do it.

F**k the haters.

I don't think thats what Stoked meant bro.

F**k the haters.

Alright man, right on!

The potential of the human race is limitless. There is nothing we would no tbe able to accomplish if we got out of our own way. Since that will never happen due to the emotional nature of humanity it comes off as a cruel joke.[/QUOTE]

so laugh anyway.

hah hah. beats the whole victim mentality.

Actually, I think our potential is not "limitless", and I think our emotional selves are worth the whole universe, and more. Like "love" for example. What would the Universe be worth without that?

growing up means, generally, getting a more realistic notion about ourselves, and others. . . a better perspective. And kids should be kids, and young adults should be young adults, and it's useless to expect something more. And while "knowing our limits" and "knowing our potential" are sorta undefined "virtues", these seemingly contradictory notions are things that, when used sensibly, can really give us some traction in life, and help us to grow. . . . . and, obviously, these horizons do change as we grow or move along somehow.

No need to despair just yet, bro. We've got a while, still. . . . . and setting our sights on this world or this life is sorta devaluing ourselves and what our potential can be. Anyone who doesn't have some values that transcend this life is "shorting his own stock."

babe, I don't think he meant emotions like love. I think he was talking about the self-centered, ego-driven, contesting, racing individuals that blinden themselves with their own interests and needs that they forget how great things they can achieve and how big happiness' they can create if they held hands and left those ego-centric/ethno-centric motives behind.

Oh. Then my bad, and I owe an apology.

My deepest apologies if I took your last sentence incorrectly.

Yeah the video is bloked for me. I was ust commenting in a general sense about humanity. Even UGLI picked up on it...ouch.

Yeah the video is bloked for me. I was ust commenting in a general sense about humanity. Even UGLI picked up on it...ouch.

I'm a little touchy to the subject, as i was once the hater in these situations. I was that guy that hated seeing the retarded kids as, say, a second prom king/queen.

I was the guy that saw it as cheap, and in poor taste, and just a way to celebrate how great normal people are that they give the disadvantaged a chance out of charity.

I grew out of it, but it stained me.

Again, my apologies for going off the deep end.

Sent from your moms room.... While she was sleeping.

Nice post babe. I am curious, what is your take on depression? Clinical depression not mopey teenager depression most go through as their hormones settle down and grow out of. Maybe this belongs in the longest thread, but seems to fit where this convo is going.

Depression is like a stuffed toilet that won't flush. It stinks, but sometimes it's what life is. From a chemical/biochemical/neurotransmitter/neurological perspective I'm sure there is a reality to it on the physical level possibly complicated sometimes with what I'd call a "spiritual" level. I don't think we can just pooh-pooh it away, exactly, or just choose not to live in it. With women in their forties it seems epidemic, and probably rates as a real physical illness, possibly with a hormonal causal component. . . .

I was seriously depressed for a couple of years, but I could argue it was because of some things going on in my life. . . . realizing how limited my life actually was when I was struggling to regain my ability to function. I remember being so "slow" in my cognition I couldn't keep track of my stuff in a grocery checkout event. I read everything in the medical science library about depression and decided to self-medicate. I stole a chemical reagent bottle of Lithium Chloride from the lab, and would take a pinch sometimes. It made an obvious, instant "difference" for me. As a "salt" it was pretty "zingy". . .. it generates a lot of heat on dissolving, and has an almost "acid" taste. For years I worked in a lab where I analyzed salts including about 20% Lithium Chloride. I later began to realize that our modern refined salt, which is "pure" Sodium Chloride, is not good for us. I buy "Sea Salt" nowadays which is not purified. It has a trace of Lithium, and of course magnesium and potassium. You spend a lot of money buying that stuff in supplement tablets. Yes, Lithium (and Magnesioum) picks up moisture from the air,and sometimes the salt doesn't pour. . .. but I believe it is essential to our good health, and good nerve function. Purified table salt is on my list of modern poisons which undermines good health and is part of our ensemble of modern epidemics. . . . .

Just a general comment on the several comments above. I really don't mean to bear down too heavy on Stoked, and I don't really think I know exactly what he meant. Sorta. . . . maybe. .. . but I had fun playing with his comment. I generally hope my two bits is not very persuasive and I hope nobody just cashes in their opinion and takes mine. That's not what I want to happen. I like to think up stuff that's new to me, and I like to see what others think of it. I do like a good laugh, and most of the time, I'm good for one.

The emotional nature of humanity is the only reason this vid is awesome.(it's not good football) Our emotions can give us great strength. Your pov is just too cold for me.

Last edited:
First, I hate the whole "restore your faith in humanity" internet thing. I don't need my faith restored because I believe in humanity. I think there are a million fold more good people than there are bad people in this world and just because they don't make the news or become a reddit post does not mean they don't exist. Good things happen everyday. People do good things every minute.

What an incredibly sad post. Really. I don't necessarily agree that the human race is limitless, but I understand your point. But to say that we get in our own way is a very myopic view of what the human race has accomplished in our time on this planet.