What's new

Retired NBA referee Dick Bavetta included in list of basketball Hall of Fame Selections

Gameface

Contributor
2018 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
2022 Award Winner
https://www.sltrib.com/sports/2369556-155/retired-nba-referee-dick-bavetta-

dt.common.streams.StreamServer.cls

Indianapolis • Kentucky coach John Calipari and Spencer Haywood are among 11 new inductees going into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame this year.The rest of the class consists of former WNBA star Lisa Leslie, longtime referee Dick Bavetta, Celtics star Jo Jo White and Boston coach Tom Heinsohn, four-time NBA defensive player of the year Dikembe Mutombo, former coach George Raveling, ex-Kentucky and ABA star Louis Dampier, Australian player and coach Lindsay Gaze and John Isaacs, an ex-player who will be inducted posthumously.
Bavetta is well known to Utah Jazz fans with long memories for — incorrectly, as replays would later show — disallowing a Howard Eisley 3-pointer in Game 6 of the 1998 Finals in what ended as an 87-86 win for the Chicago Bulls.

****. Seeing that pisses me off. If only the NBA had its replay center in Seacaucus, NJ then.

So do I.. I can't forget it.

5 points.. Same situation.. And two differents decisions.

In a fair world, there would be a Game 7.

And I doubt that we would lose.

I have watched that game 5 or so times when it appears on espn classic. Everytime I watch it I think we are going to win.

This was an absolute screw job by bavetta. That five point swing was terrible... Way more egregious than the push off. I still hate Bavetta.

Game 5 was amazing.. Karl 39 points, 10 rebounds, 5 assists.. Something like this.. Carr coming off the bench.. Had a nice game

Man, i hate Bavetta too. Worst ref ever.

What is worse is that there are suggestions that he may have been influencing games at the direction of David Stern. This was suggested by former NBA referee, Tim Donaghy. I believe it but the NBA discredited him because of he was betting on games. Why do you think he was betting and winning, because he knew the fix was in on certain games.

If you don't believe it, then just watch the videos that are posted in this thread, and there have been more egregious examples involving the Lakers, especially the Lakers-Kings 2002 6th game when the Lakers came back miraculously in the 4th quarter after the refs swallowed their whistles. There also was another series with Portland the next year or thereabouts that the same thing happened.

I thought the Hall of Fame was for NBA players and coaches. I didn't know you could induct referees or college coaches.

I thought the Hall of Fame was for NBA players and coaches. I didn't know you could induct referees or college coaches.

I also didn't know they had a special wing for POS scum bags who have hurt the game like Bavetta.

Is Ron Harper giving the induction speech?