RIP Jerry Sloan

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by colton, May 22, 2020 at 8:38 AM.

1. Thee jazz fan

Thee jazz fan Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    If your watching a jazz game in the future and a ref misses a call and we see that ref get pushed by air, we’ll know what’s going on. Lol.

Thanks for all the memories coach. You left the game of basketball in better shape than you found it. I’m sure your in heaven coaching up spirits and kicking *** up there too

RIP Coach!!

colton and gomretat like this.
  2. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    It is shocking he never win COTY. A travesty really. So many snubs for flashes in the pan.

kabenac and colton like this.
  3. Thee jazz fan

Thee jazz fan Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2010
    Adjustments.jpg

If Jerry can forgive I probably should too

Sorry for badmouthing you all these years Deron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

colton, NUMBERICA and Hekate like this.
  4. Jazz Fusion

Jazz Fusion Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    One of the best moments of that Jazz-Laker playoff game was Frank Layden combing his bangs back after yelling at Pat Riley.

Others have mentioned how kind Jerry Sloan was to fans. My dad, wearing his John Deere cap, took a picture of my mom with Sloan at a game several years ago. It is still one of my mom's favorite Jazz memories, which is made all the more poignant with her now going through dementia.

prodigy, Ostertag>Duncan and colton like this.
  5. Saint Cy of JFC

Saint Cy of JFC Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Weird that it wasnt done while he was living.

NAOS and Wes Mantooth like this.
  6. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    Especially given his condition which has been known for years.

7. Ostertag>Duncan

Ostertag>Duncan My Members Premium Contributor 2019 Award Winner

May 26, 2010
    Maybe they knew he wouldn't like all the hoopla that comes with it so they were waiting to do it posthumously.

8. oneye

oneye Well-Known Member 2018 Award Winner

Dec 2, 2017
    This year has just sucked. Thank you Jerry, for everything. Watching the outpouring of love and respect Jerry had is so great today. But losing Jerry brought tears to my eyes when this is what I woke up today. Thank you Jerry.

prodigy, cowhide and colton like this.
  9. Jazz Fusion

Jazz Fusion Well-Known Member

Jul 4, 2016
    “Nobody fights with Jerry because you know the price would be too high,” Jazz executive Frank Layden said in 1996, according to the Salt Lake Tribune. “You might come out the winner; at his age, you might even lick him, but you’d lose an eye, an arm, your ********* in the process. Everything would be gone. He’s a throwback, a blue-collar guy, a dirt farmer. I know you’re going to think I’m kidding when I say this, but I saw Jerry Sloan fight at the Alamo, I saw him at Harpers Ferry, I saw him at Pearl Harbor. He’s loyal. He’s a hard worker. He’s a man.”

10. sirkickyass

sirkickyass Moderator Emeritus Staff Member

May 25, 2010
    upload_2020-5-22_14-3-1.png

prodigy, colton, Wes Mantooth and 4 others like this.
  11. The mailman

The mailman Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Haven’t felt this kind of sadness for the death of a person I didn’t even know for a long time. Not just a legend of the game.
    A true role model for me personally. Show up to work every day. Do your best. Be humble. Fight for what you think is right. Tell the truth. Be a man.

prodigy, kabenac, cowhide and 3 others like this.
  12. JimLes

JimLes Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    From a Monson interview three years ago:

Near the end, Ostertag was asked which of his former teammates on the 1997 Jazz he was most looking forward to seeing. He said he was eager to see them all. "But I'm most excited …"

He paused for a few seconds to gather himself.

"… I'm most excited to see Jerry, because I love him to death. … [tears now flowing] … And I hate to see what he's going through, 'cause that's not the Jerry Sloan that I knew, and I know it's tearing him apart. … [more tears] … I've tried to call him on the phone a few times, but I can't. I get emotional. I know we had our ups and downs, but I love him. It kills me to see him like that."

Ostertag continued.

"The great thing about Jerry, no matter what happened the night before, the next day, he was like, 'Good morning.' He gave you a high-five and 99 percent of the time, it was over. There were times when it carried over, but my fault, I'll take the blame for that."

ConradA24, Zombie, Gameface and 5 others like this.
  13. JazzGal

JazzGal Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    We hung up a mountain logo Jazz flag outside our house today in Sloan's honor. It did feel like losing a part of the family. I'm glad he is no longer suffering. We've had several family members with Alzheimers and Lewy Body dementia, and it is so awful for the family as well as the patient.

Thanks for all the wonderful times, Jerry. Rest in peace and know that you are much loved.

prodigy, ConradA24, colton and 3 others like this.
  14. JazzyFresh

JazzyFresh Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I just found out and I'm legitimately crying. Probably for the best but it hurts

fishonjazz and homeytennis like this.
  15. Troat Guru

Troat Guru Active Member

Apr 6, 2020
    If I shed tears even though I'm unfortunately too young to have seen him coaching...yeah he was really special!
    Probably I'm not the right dude to say that, since I wasn't there, but I'll be proud to remember you and your deeds...they will never die!

Zombie and colton like this.
  16. BabyPeterzz

BabyPeterzz Well-Known Member Contributor

May 26, 2010
    IMG_2959.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ostertag>Duncan and Jazz Fusion like this.
  17. Moonlight Graham

Moonlight Graham Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2011
    I've always felt the year he deserved COTY the most was 1997-98. The way he kept the team playing at a championship level after the Seikaly trade fell through was a huge accomplishment.

Ostertag>Duncan and LogGrad98 like this.
  18. gomretat

gomretat Well-Known Member

Jun 15, 2010
    Sloan is a lot of what made me a Jazz fan. I had the chance to meet him several times and he was very kind and very gracious off the court. I am 99% positive that the reason there was no statue because of Jerry wanting it that way. The Millers loved him and would be delighted to honor him. RIP Jerry.

19. tonstermits

tonstermits Well-Known Member

May 25, 2010
    Jerry had a good run, he definitely didn't squander his time on this planet. We knew this day was near but its still a bit of a shock to know his time here is over.

Ostertag>Duncan and colton like this.
  20. JimLes

JimLes Well-Known Member

Sep 20, 2010
    I would like to see the trust that owns the team now get financially secure enough one day to become the first NBA team to refuse to sell the naming rights to the arena. The arena could then be called the Larry H. Miller Arena and the court ought to be the Jerry Sloan court.

Gameface and cowhide like this.