What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I don't think that Kessler is untouchable, but it is no stretch to think he can be decent offensively in punishing small ball lineups (which Gobert could never seem to do). I still there is value in a decent post game. If Kessler can do that? All the better. I do think he has better hands than Gobert.
If he can develop a post game that can reliably punish switches then things get more interesting. Post-play is super interesting as it is statistically a terrible play, but you need it to nullify small ball, and small ball is a wrecking ball when you have the roster for it.

The problem right now is I don't think there's much evidence about his proficiency in the post even in the NCAA (I could be wrong, I just am not going to do the dive).

Last edited:
I don't think that Kessler is untouchable, but it is no stretch to think he can be decent offensively in punishing small ball lineups (which Gobert could never seem to do). I still there is value in a decent post game. If Kessler can do that? All the better. I do think he has better hands than Gobert.
Kessler is already better than Gobert offensively.... everything else is just an added bons

He’s way more coordinated with the ball around the basket than Rudy was.
Serious question. Can you think of any nba player who isn't? I mean guys like Dok, Bismack, Boban etc can all at least catch the ball when it isn't perfect and can all toss up a baby hook.

Okay, but there are still limitations. And what if he (and maybe an unprotected pick) gets you a top-3 pick, rather than sending three or four (the inverse of the Jaden McDaniels effect).

I’m simply saying this notion that he’s untouchable is overboard.

I also just want to plant my flag that basically nobody was talking about Kessler as an actually good NBA player last year but I raised the point unprompted. I am not a hater and I see his obvious value. Hell, if the Warriors had him they would sweep the Kings since Kessler totally owns Sabonis.
Receipt:
I think everyone is sleeping on Walker Kessler. Someone in the late 1st or later is going to draft a 10+ year NBA player. He moves surprisingly well for someone of his immense size and his block numbers are INSANE.
There were two posts in the entire thread that highlighted Kessler unprompted. Just saying.

If he can develop a post game that can reliably punish switches then things get more interesting. Post-play is super interesting as it is statistically a terrible play, but you need it to nullify small ball, and small ball is a wrecking ball when you have the roster for it.

The problem right now is I don't think there's much evidence about his proficiency in the post even in the NCAA (I could be wrong, I just am not going to do the dive).
Ya and then lets say he is good at punishing guys in the post. Then teams hack a shaq him and he is a poor free throw shooter (that could change though for sure). Or you double him and who knows if he is a good enough passer to hurt that strategy. Or you put a long guy like morris on him and deny the post entry. Plus some 5 out lineups consist of a big who can shoot AND who can guard another big in the post. Its just getting harder to be an offensively limited big these days.

The thing that is a bit different with Kessler is I think he has good enough hands and a decent finishing package around the rim. I don’t think he is the type to get played off the floor but you might want a stretch big or more switch lineup to counter. I just think if you are getting Luka you are getting him the play him with Lauri and Walker… don’t want to be the Utah Mavs. We have enough other stuff the trade should work.

I don’t think Walker will ever be an outside shooter but I think he will be more equipped to punish small lineups than Rudy was. The playoff defensive issues we had were mostly the garbage effort and garbage defenders we had on the perimeter. Add in a lack of being able to play multiple ways defensively and it was only a matter of time before you ran into a bad matchup.
Went to reply to Fish and then you nailed exactly what I was going to say. Nice.

Ya and then lets say he is good at punishing guys in the post. Then teams hack a shaq him and he is a poor free throw shooter (that could change though for sure). Or you double him and who knows if he is a good enough passer to hurt that strategy. Or you put a long guy like morris on him and deny the post entry. Plus some 5 out lineups consist of a big who can shoot AND who can guard another big in the post. Its just getting harder to be an offensively limited big these days.
And teams are not dusting off the playoff playbook to beat a tanking Jazz team with piss jerseys in March. We just haven't seen him specifically scouted very much. Portland did it very effectively in one game and the board was a little shaken by it.

That being said, he was a rookie. There is a lot to like and to be hopeful about. I see the whole picture but I think too many here are just a little drunk on the Kool Aid.

I don’t think Walker will ever be an outside shooter but I think he will be more equipped to punish small lineups than Rudy was.
Sometimes a 5 out lineup is not a small ball lineup though. In that instance Walker now has to guard the perimeter and also cant punish them on the other end.

Sometimes a 5 out lineup is not a small ball lineup though. In that instance Walker now has to guard the perimeter and also cant punish them on the other end.
I think his agility is underrated, but we also haven't seen teams try that hard to play him off the floor either. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out... buuut if teams start doing that and it works then maybe now is peak value for him?

I'm gonna zip it, but y'all can throw your rotten tomatoes. I was still on the Kessler train before y'all.

I think his agility is underrated, but we also haven't seen teams try that hard to play him off the floor either. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out... buuut if teams start doing that and it works then maybe now is peak value for him?

I'm gonna zip it, but y'all can throw bottles. I was still on the Kessler train before you.
And Im not sure anyone hyped him more this season than me lol. I ALWAYS bitched about hardy if Kessler didn't get the minutes i wanted him to get. Thought he should have been starting from day one. I will say it again, I LOVE Kessler. But he might be able to be exploited by teams.

And Im not sure anyone hyped him more this season than me lol. I ALWAYS bitched about hardy if Kessler didn't get the minutes i wanted him to get. Thought he should have been starting from day one. I will say it again, I LOVE Kessler. But he might be able to be exploited by teams.
Nuance has been lost in modern society.

(I edited the post you quoted, but I wasn't talking to YOU when I was talking **** about being one of the first to board the Kessler train. I was referring to the impersonal 2nd person/general other.)

I don’t think Walker will ever be an outside shooter but I think he will be more equipped to punish small lineups than Rudy was. The playoff defensive issues we had were mostly the garbage effort and garbage defenders we had on the perimeter. Add in a lack of being able to play multiple ways defensively and it was only a matter of time before you ran into a bad matchup.

Agreed aside the outside shooting. It might take until his second contract though - as it is not the main focus for him. If over a decade older BroLo did it so will walker. His shooting mechanics looks like he can work on it. And this team has great staff to teach it.

Agreed aside the outside shooting. It might take until his second contract though - as it is not the main focus for him. If over a decade older BroLo did it so will walker. His shooting mechanics looks like he can work on it. And this team has great staff to teach it.
Brook was always a good shooter (just not always a 3-pt shooter) though while Kessler is a poor FT shooter. He could become a shooter but the indicators so far (besides his form) are not good.

Brook was always a good shooter (just not always a 3-pt shooter) though while Kessler is a poor FT shooter. He could become a shooter but the indicators so far (besides his form) are not good.
He shot 100% from three this season bruh

Yep. I LOVE Kessler. But i also understand that the nba has been and is changing. Bigs that cant shoot and cant defend the perimeter are less valuable each year. God forbid we have Kessler as our starting center and run into a team like the warriors who are using draymond at center or something. Or the clippers using morris at center. I cant remember which team it is (kings maybe or celtics?) that have been playing 5 out ball in these playoffs and looking good. Kessler could have trouble and even be a liability in a series like that. Teams can scheme a traditional center off the court.
I also think that you can (and should) keep someone like Walker Kessler - even if you’re worried about a team going small in the playoffs. Teams should build for both regular season AND playoff success. A guy like Kessler is amazing for long-term regular season success. If he’s struggling in the playoffs, I want options that I can go to.

But I’m not getting rid of him unless I absolutely have to.

We will have the same issue with Kessler that we got with Rudy. Need guys able to feed him and also good offensive players as he will be Rudy style in terms of stat. But it's works quite well with Rudy ( we got the best offense in regular season last Rudy season if im not wrong). After will be the PO issue.....