What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I'm sure we will, I just hope we swing on the right guys.

Gary Trent Jr I'd actually be cool with depending on the cost.
Jalen McDaniels I'm assuming will be on the list of guys we target.
Ayo Dosunmu is a RFA that we could likely pry away from Chicago.
Kyle Kuzma obviously has ties to Utah but I'm not sure he fits our timeline.

2024 RFA class could feature Haliburton, Avdija, P Williams, Jaden McDaniels, Desmond Bane, and Herb Jones.
those are all guys I'd consider. If Washington pays Kuzma I think you could swipe Avdija in trade as they will be capped out.

When you look at Danny Ainge's approach to roster building he has had his most success when drafting guys or trading for them.

He traded for KG/Ray Allen plus drafted Rondo/Perkins.

Drafted Tatum/Brown/Smart.

The three biggest FAs that he signed with Boston (Hayward, Kemba, Horford) didn't work out for them.
I don't think that is a sample size to draw much from. He's performed some masterful trades, he's hit big on some top picks, and he has signed allstar-caliber players in the off-season. The Hayward injury was tragic. Kemba didn't work out, I'll give you that. Horford was a key player on multiple conference finals and finally a finals run.

I think it's definitely in the realm of possibilities that we tank again next season. It's unlikely that any rookies we have are huge contributors from day one in terms of winning. Or that we commit enough money to veteran guys around Lauri/Kessler to be competitive.
Maybe... I just think if you retain:

JC
Lauri
Kessler
Sexton

Add one good FA or traded player... add 2-3 rookies and maybe one of them is good... if there is development from Ochai... you'd have 6-7 good functional players and a few others that could pop. I think if we tank its intentional and we will see it early... we won't be able to half *** it like we did this year.

I think it's definitely in the realm of possibilities that we tank again next season. It's unlikely that any rookies we have are huge contributors from day one in terms of winning. Or that we commit enough money to veteran guys around Lauri/Kessler to be competitive.

If you're able to pick around at least 6~8, then again around 14~18, and another time at 24~27 (which kinda should allow you a trade up for around 10~12 if you think you have the right guy there and that being better than a third new face, same with your best pick), all while being able to give between 36m to 60m, you're looking at a team that should be aiming at jumping all the way from bottom of the league to a reasonable shot at a 6th seed, not finding a way to do all of that, and still be a bottom 10 team for keeping your pick

Maybe... I just think if you retain:

JC
Lauri
Kessler
Sexton

Add one good FA or traded player... add 2-3 rookies and maybe one of them is good... if there is development from Ochai... you'd have 6-7 good functional players and a few others that could pop. I think if we tank its intentional and we will see it early... we won't be able to half *** it like we did this year.
Even with those 4 I still don't think there's a realistic pathway to adding enough talent that you'd feel confident about the Jazz being a playoff team tbh.

I’d give multiple picks to get Bridges but i have to think BKN sees him as a future building block

I’d give multiple picks to get Bridges but i have to think BKN sees him as a future building block
um yeah he was the key trade piece outside of the picks imo
I would try to entice Johnson to sign here this summer though

Cam Jhonson can really shoot and defend, wouldn't be a bad target for a toxic offer

If you're able to pick around at least 6~8, then again around 14~18, and another time at 24~27 (which kinda should allow you a trade up for around 10~12 if you think you have the right guy there and that being better than a third new face, same with your best pick), all while being able to give between 36m to 60m, you're looking at a team that should be aiming at jumping all the way from bottom of the league to a reasonable shot at a 6th seed, not finding a way to do all of that, and still be a bottom 10 team for keeping your pick
Danny has made it clear that the goal is to build a championship contender not a team that's competing for a play in spot. I doubt that we keep all three of our picks but even if we do rookie production is pretty hit or miss. Keegan Murray is the only rookie in the top 12 of the rookie ladder whose team is essentially a lock to make the playoffs.

I personally just don't see any combination of FAs we could sign and guys that we could take at 6-8 / 14-18 / 24-27 that put us into playoff contention next year.

Something i'd add here. If he doesn't opt out, and we don't need his space for a FA signing, i guess that Gay could be better kept as an option to aggregate salary for a trade than bought out or dumped for a second

Danny has made it clear that the goal is to build a championship contender not a team that's competing for a play in spot. I doubt that we keep all three of our picks but even if we do rookie production is pretty hit or miss. Keegan Murray is the only rookie in the top 12 of the rookie ladder whose team is essentially a lock to make the playoffs.

I personally just don't see any combination of FAs we could sign and guys that we could take at 6-8 / 14-18 / 24-27 that put us into playoff contention next year.
I personally think that would hinge on JC staying next year and Sexton being an effective lead guard.

Those 2, along with real production from even one 2023 picks could see us being a play in team.

I personally think that would hinge on JC staying next year and Sexton being an effective lead guard.

Those 2, along with real production from even one 2023 picks could see us being a play in team.
I'm guessing he sticks around but if he doesn't we likely miss the playoffs. Landing someone in the top 3 guys I think would also propel us forward. Landing a game manager pg (like a Tyus Jones) would also be a pretty big boost.

I think the only two teams you can confidently assume we'll be better than in the West next season are the Rockets and Spurs.

We started hot this year (10-3) but since that we haven't been very good (17-26).

We don't need to contend next year, just be at a position to be able to grow into one within the timeline of the players we have, while holding the assets to make the necessary moves to go from good to great.

If we land 2 decent rookies and one or two free agents that can shoot (at least one scorer) and at least reasonably defend with some size for defensive flexibility, while still owning a huge quantity of picks, a good portion of them very valuable, we'd be at a great position for trading for the next wanting out star.

Keep in mind we need to suck next yeah to keep our 1st rounder.

Eh, we have enough 1st round picks going forward. I think we start trying to build a competitive team again this offseason, I don't think we tank next season.