What's new

Roster Building From Here - FA and Summer of 2023

I read Blazers real GM board Damian Lillard has made very clear to Blazers he doesn't want to stay if Blazers go rebuild.
Should Danny Ainge try a trade for Lillard if he comes available and does Jazz have assets on that without giving Lauri?
probably the same poster who said Collins to Utah was going to happen

BTW, we have some problems with trading for a star:
-DA already has a stink on him
-Part of the asking price is not just what the other team receives, but also what the cost is to the sending team. In other words, those with more are expected to pay more

You know what altogether removes those issues? Drafting well.

Yeah, when the comment was made about monitoring the Luka situation it seemed fantastical. Now I'm starting to wonder if Ainge knows something. I still don't quite believe it will ever happen, but I'm getting a sliver of wonder.

Yeah, when the comment was made about monitoring the Luka situation it seemed fantastical. Now I'm starting to wonder if Ainge knows something. I still don't quite believe it will ever happen, but I'm getting a sliver of wonder.
I think the odds are like 90% Luka is gone in the next 3 years.

The Mavs have really messed things up. The idea of him leaving isn't crazy, but the idea of him coming here seems like fantasy, but I don't know, maybe not.
Utah and OKC are the only teams competing in terms of assets to trade so I actually don't think it's crazy at all. OKC has more 1st rounders to trade (at least ostensibly) but a lot of theirs are protected. Utah has more unprotected picks and there is serious diminishing marginal value with draft assets of middling or low quality.

Utah and OKC are the only teams competing in terms of assets to trade so I actually don't think it's crazy at all. OKC has more 1st rounders to trade (at least ostensibly) but a lot of theirs are protected. Utah has more unprotected picks and there is serious diminishing marginal value with draft assets of middling or low quality.

I think Luka is the caliber of player that gets to dictate where he goes, but you never know. I think Ainge knows a lot more than me, and he obviously thinks there is a chance.

I think Luka is the caliber of player that gets to dictate where he goes, but you never know. I think Ainge knows a lot more than me, and he obviously thinks there is a chance.
And any team that isn't Utah or OKC cannot afford him unless it's the trade deadline of his last season. Dallas will want to maximize the return of Luka whether that's winning games or getting assets, but if they aren't winning games and stay a .500 team for a couple more seasons, they might be choosing between a treadmill and a star certain to leave or a clean, strong rebuild.

All's I'm saying is the Jazz are in prime position to land him with years still left on his contract. I don't think the Jazz will sell the farm to rent him for half a season, but it would be relatively easy for them to outbid an asset-poor glamour market in such a scenario.

So now we want to bring in a guy who will only accept an extreme version of heliocentric basketball, comes into every training camp overweight and spends half a season playing himself into shape, requires a roster tailor-made for him, and may already be past his prime in a couple of years?

And any team that isn't Utah or OKC cannot afford him unless it's the trade deadline of his last season. Dallas will want to maximize the return of Luka whether that's winning games or getting assets, but if they aren't winning games and stay a .500 team for a couple more seasons, they might be choosing between a treadmill and a star certain to leave or a clean, strong rebuild.

All's I'm saying is the Jazz are in prime position to land him with years still left on his contract. I don't think the Jazz will sell the farm to rent him for half a season, but it would be relatively easy for them to outbid an asset-poor glamour market in such a scenario.

I just spent probably too much time looking in to this from a Dallas perspective, but their best bet is to sell Luka on another down year next year, and then they'll have a bunch of capspace in 2024, and then the cap spike in 2025. If they really bottom out they could have nice pick in 2014 as well.

I'm guessing that's a hard sell to Luka, but they could turn things around pretty quickly if they commit to a 1 year down year.

I just spent probably too much time looking in to this from a Dallas perspective, but their best bet is to sell Luka on another down year next year, and then they'll have a bunch of capspace in 2024, and then the cap spike in 2025. If they really bottom out they could have nice pick in 2014 as well.

I'm guessing that's a hard sell to Luka, but they could turn things around pretty quickly if they commit to a 1 year down year.
Sure. But I’m keeping the powder dry only for home run moves like Luka, but my grand plan wouldn’t rely on getting him either.

…..please………………….don’t.
Wait, why? Genuinely curious. I can’t recall an unqualified compliment of any player but I’m sure I’m mistaken on the broader strokes and he actually has nice things to say about… anything.

Wait, why? Genuinely curious. I can’t recall an unqualified compliment of any player but I’m sure I’m mistaken on the broader strokes and he actually has nice things to say about… anything.
It’ll lead to a 3 page long debate comprised of mostly insults.

Find that ignore button. It’s Jason’s gift