What's new

Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

I love Derrick Favors but nobody is passing Malone for that spot for a long time. If Favors is still playing at last years level 10-12 years from now maybe we can start comparing the stats. Till then it's pointless to even consider.
Actually even then it would be pointless. Malone probably had 10-12 years that were better than Favors was last year.

I think he meant "second greatest". I would hope he did.

I love Derrick Favors but nobody is passing Malone for that spot for a long time. If Favors is still playing at last years level 10-12 years from now maybe we can start comparing the stats. Till then it's pointless to even consider.
Actually even then it would be pointless. Malone probably had 10-12 years that were better than Favors was last year.

Hence the "next greatest"

Gobert is already the greatest Jazz center of all time.

/thread
99.9% inevitable, but not quit yet, IMO. I'm one of the biggest Gobert homers there is, but he has to have at least a few seasons averaging double/doubles and 4 blocks/per before he bumps off Mark Eaton. Eaton had a pretty dominating 6 yr. run defensively.

Of course Rudy has a LOT more potential offensively. I expect him to be in double digit points beginning next season. And while Eaton was a punishing force inside, he couldn't come out and guard further out like Gobert can. And I will FOREVER be indebted to Rudy choosing last year to explode. Had he needed just one more season of development to really show off what he could do, the Jazz would have likely given Kanter a max contract to remain.

99.9% inevitable, but not quit yet, IMO. I'm one of the biggest Gobert homers there is, but he has to have at least a few seasons averaging double/doubles and 4 blocks/per before he bumps off Mark Eaton. Eaton had a pretty dominating 6 yr. run defensively.

Of course Rudy has a LOT more potential offensively. I expect him to be in double digit points beginning next season. And while Eaton was a punishing force inside, he couldn't come out and guard further out like Gobert can. And I will FOREVER be indebted to Rudy choosing last year to explode. Had he needed just one more season of development to really show off what he could do, the Jazz would have likely given Kanter a max contract to remain.

No. My decision was final.

/thread

Wow...Bob Marley's backup singers are turrible.
Clapton's cover is a classic; Marley's original version really pales by comparison.

Eaton-3,064 Blocks(4th all time) 3.5 per game (1st all time)

Gobert-230 Blocks 1.8 per game

I'd say he still has a way to go.

This makes me think of advanced stats. Do they have the opp % at the rim calculated for players like Eaton? Would be curious to see that.

Also, I think Gobert will be a MUCH more complete player than Eaton. Eaton was an anomaly. I sincerely think a 3rd year Rudy on our championship contender teams may have turned the tide. Not so sure a prime Eaton would have.

Eaton will always get more blocks than Gobert.

Gobert is/will be the better passer, ball handler, scorer, rebounder, overall defender (can defend away from the hoop), leader (his personality/ferocity is infectious), and free throw shooter. (And he will get to the line more)

Probably get more steals too.

And will be much better in transition.

Rudy >> eaton

Eaton only averaged over 10 rebounds per game twice in his 11 year career...... He never averaged over 10 points per game.

Last year Rudy averaged 13 rebounds and 11 points per game, per 36 minutes........ Which is better than eatons per 36 average during his best year of his career.

This competition is over

Eaton only averaged over 10 rebounds per game twice in his 11 year career...... He never averaged over 10 points per game.

Last year Rudy averaged 13 rebounds and 11 points per game, per 36 minutes........ Which is better than eatons per 36 average during his best year of his career.

This competition is over
Eaton deferred to Malone on rebounds just like Favors now defers to Gobert. I'm not debating who will LIKELY be viewed as a better overall center. Hands down, I think it will Gobert. But to say he's there based on 1/2 season of per-36 numbers is premature gesticulation, IMO.

You also have to look at the era. Eaton was a man in a man's game. Utah funneled their defense into the middle because you could actually play physical back then. No one wanted to run into Mountain Man and be knocked to the floor.

Nowadays, you can't breathe on an opponent without getting called for a foul. Gobert's effectiveness is due to his mobility and his long arms - which is perfect for the brand of basketball we now see.

Last edited:
This makes me think of advanced stats. Do they have the opp % at the rim calculated for players like Eaton? Would be curious to see that.

Also, I think Gobert will be a MUCH more complete player than Eaton. Eaton was an anomaly. I sincerely think a 3rd year Rudy on our championship contender teams may have turned the tide. Not so sure a prime Eaton would have.

Eaton will always get more blocks than Gobert.

Gobert is/will be the better passer, ball handler, scorer, rebounder, overall defender (can defend away from the hoop), leader (his personality/ferocity is infectious), and free throw shooter. (And he will get to the line more)

Probably get more steals too.

And will be much better in transition.

Rudy >> eaton

Dude I think Gobert will be the greatest Jazz center of all time when all is said and done but it ain't. You can't put Gobert over Eaton based on 29 games.

Eaton's Career >>>>>> Gobert's 29 game run

Dude I think Gobert will be the greatest Jazz center of all time when all is said and done but it ain't. You can't put Gobert over Eaton based on 29 games.

Eaton's Career >>>>>> Gobert's 29 game run
True

If the thread is about accomplishments (which I believe it is) then Gobert still has a long ways to go to catch Eaton. I think we forget how great the '88 Laker series was. It's a great thread that should run its course.

If it's just about who is better, then it's Gobert and it's not even close! As someone who watched Eaton's career, not just his box scores and highlights, I would take Gobert over him 100x without hesitation. Just my opinion, of course.

BTW does anyone remember Big Mark sitting out virtually the entire '84 Nuggets series because of their team speed? Can you imagine that with Rudy? "Get him out of there! Issel's running circles around him!!"