Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

Discussion in 'Utah Jazz' started by framer, Oct 20, 2014.

1. Wes Mantooth

Wes Mantooth Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2015
    I’d prob go:
    Eaton-more dominant defender
    Okur-so special offensively
    Favors-better two way
    Gobert

2. ekimebirt

ekimebirt Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Framer from the beginning clearly laid out the criteria he was operating under. As with many other stats there are criteria which could be added to or taken away. Thumbs up to Framer for calling so far in advance Gobert's Greatness and putting together one version to track Gobert's progress. It has been fun to watch Gobert climbing through the ranks. It is getting close to the point where it can be argued that Gobert is already the greatest and If he leads the team to the title this year it becomes automatic. Lets just hope that Rudy continues on his current trajectory and stays with the team long enough to top this list as outlined from the beginning as well as any other criteria

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019 at 3:06 PM
  3. LogGrad98

LogGrad98 Well-Known Member Contributor

Jul 7, 2010
    This. I really enjoyed this thread, one of the best on JF tbh. I liked how we could anticipate and to see the inexorable March of Rudy's greatness and how it compares to the others that carried the torch.

4. ChicAggie

ChicAggie Member

Jun 21, 2019
    Just got around to reading the OP. LOVE IT! There are obviously a number of metrics that can be used to measure whether a player is the "greatest." Are we talking about the greatest at his peak in a Jazz uniform, or the greatest contribution to the Jazz over the course of a career? Either way, my personal measure of "greatness" is how much does the player contribute to his team's ability to win. While there is no perfect measure of this, the one stat that attempts to capture this is "Win Shares." Looking at total Win Shares for any center wearing a Jazz uniform, Rudy eclipses them all in terms of total Win Shares in a Jazz uni and Win Shares in a single season:

Rudy Gobert - 52.8 (6 seasons - high of 14.4)
    Mehmet Okur - 45.0 (7 seasons - high of 9.3)
    Mark Eaton - 44.8 (11 seasons - high of 6.6)
    Greg Ostertag - 33.1 (10 seasons - high of 5.9)
    Al Jefferson - 23.0 (3 seasons - high of 7.8)

It's not really close: Yes, Rudy is the greatest Jazz center of all time. Not sure anyone else really belongs in the conversation. Olden Polynice? Rich Kelley? Mike Brown? Gentle Ben? Danny Schayes? Felton Spencer? Meh. Not even worth my time.

colton likes this.