What's new

Rudy Gobert "Greatest Jazz Center of All Time" Countdown Thread

Fantasy stats wise while wearing a Jazz uni, not on overall talent or accomplishment
Framer from the beginning clearly laid out the criteria he was operating under. As with many other stats there are criteria which could be added to or taken away. Thumbs up to Framer for calling so far in advance Gobert's Greatness and putting together one version to track Gobert's progress. It has been fun to watch Gobert climbing through the ranks. It is getting close to the point where it can be argued that Gobert is already the greatest and If he leads the team to the title this year it becomes automatic. Lets just hope that Rudy continues on his current trajectory and stays with the team long enough to top this list as outlined from the beginning as well as any other criteria

Last edited:
Framer from the beginning clearly laid out the criteria he was operating under. As with many other stats there are criteria which could be added to or taken away. Thumbs up to Framer for calling so far in advance Gobert's Greatness and putting together one version to track Gobert's progress. It has been fun to watch Gobert climbing through the ranks. It is getting close to the point where it can be argued that Gobert is already the greatest and If he leads the team to the title this year it becomes automatic. Lets just hope that Rudy continues on his current trajectory and stays with the team long enough to top this list as outlined from the beginning as well as any other criteria
This. I really enjoyed this thread, one of the best on JF tbh. I liked how we could anticipate and to see the inexorable March of Rudy's greatness and how it compares to the others that carried the torch.

Just got around to reading the OP. LOVE IT! There are obviously a number of metrics that can be used to measure whether a player is the "greatest." Are we talking about the greatest at his peak in a Jazz uniform, or the greatest contribution to the Jazz over the course of a career? Either way, my personal measure of "greatness" is how much does the player contribute to his team's ability to win. While there is no perfect measure of this, the one stat that attempts to capture this is "Win Shares." Looking at total Win Shares for any center wearing a Jazz uniform, Rudy eclipses them all in terms of total Win Shares in a Jazz uni and Win Shares in a single season:

Rudy Gobert - 52.8 (6 seasons - high of 14.4)
Mehmet Okur - 45.0 (7 seasons - high of 9.3)
Mark Eaton - 44.8 (11 seasons - high of 6.6)
Greg Ostertag - 33.1 (10 seasons - high of 5.9)
Al Jefferson - 23.0 (3 seasons - high of 7.8)

It's not really close: Yes, Rudy is the greatest Jazz center of all time. Not sure anyone else really belongs in the conversation. Olden Polynice? Rich Kelley? Mike Brown? Gentle Ben? Danny Schayes? Felton Spencer? Meh. Not even worth my time.

Rudy will be #1 of all time, win a ship and get a statue. The 2nd best center will also win a ship for the Jazz - it's Udoka.

Shaq is butt *** hurt over Gobert getting 200 million. He basically tweeted that he didn’t want to hate on Gobert but that Gobert getting 200 million for averaging 11 points is an inspiration to kids everywhere. Shaq is a ****ing bitch.

I liked the stat-based look at it personally. Takes the "oh yeah but Gobert is obviously best" out of the topic. Makes it more objective.

Shaq is butt *** hurt over Gobert getting 200 million. He basically tweeted that he didn’t want to hate on Gobert but that Gobert getting 200 million for averaging 11 points is an inspiration to kids everywhere. Shaq is a ****ing bitch.
Its great. Between that and KD's comments over the summer I expect Rudy to have 10 blocks tomorrow. His response was also great. Shaq is the old man yelling at clouds.

#14 Otto Moore

Points 1486
Rebounds 1757
Blocks 292
Steals 160
Assists 479

Stop me if you have heard this before, but Moore was a solid player the Jazz grabbed at the downward slide of his career. Drafted in 1968 by the Detroit Pistons, Moore averaged 8.2 points and 8.2 rebounds in his NBA career, perfectly balanced, as all things should be. Acquired by the New Orleans Jazz in 1974, Moore averaged 7.4 and 8.7 playing three seasons for the Jazz. It may not seem like a lot, but Otto was at least a legit NBA player to match with team star Pistol Pete on a team lacking actual competitive options. By 1977, two years away from the Jazz being moved to Utah, Moore was starting for Virtus Banco di Roma and out of the NBA, perhaps starting the fine tradition of Centers ending their careers in Utah. his 3.1 assist rate for a center back in the Seventies wasn't too shabby though. . .

otto.jpg

tenor.gif