What's new

Rudy is a God

Bold statement. And as much as I love favors, I agree.

I think rudy and the team are better on offense when favors isn't in the game with him. Worse on defense certainly but the offensive increase is greater than the defensive decrease imo.

Depending on how he comes back and how we play, 1st big off the bench may be his role.

Depending on how he comes back and how we play, 1st big off the bench may be his role.
I wouldn't mind that.
I think that favors is better as a 5 too.

The jazz have the personal to succeed in the new stretchy floor spacing small ball 1 in 4 out nba.
They seem to be better when playing that way.

Nice to still have the versatility to go really big too though. (Especially in grind it out playoff games)

Maybe I am wrong.
I would love to see some stats.
Seems like last year and the year before, when favors and rudy played a lot together, our offense was meh and defense was great.
This year, with them not playing a lot together, it seems like our offense and defense are both great.

Maybe I am wrong.
Seems like last year and the year before, when favors and rudy played a lot together, our offense was meh and defense was great.
This year, with them not playing a lot together, it seems like our offense and defense are both great.

George Hill.

With Hill running things, our offense with both Gobert and Favors will be very good/great.

Don't get me wrong, if Snyder wanted to post up Favors every play, then things could get a bit clogged. Jazz don't need to do that though. Like I've said before, you don't need 4 guys at the 3 point line to have adequate spacing. Hill, Hood and Hayward with Favors mid-range is not a spacing problem.

I'm with sort of with Cappy. Our preferred line up has only played 12 minutes together so far. Let's get them healthy and on the court together and actually see how they mesh. Then make a decision.

Maybe I am wrong.

Last year Jazz had an off rating of 106.4 when Gobert and Favors played together and def of 102.2. That is without any PG play and both of them playing through injuries. This year our off rating is at 108.3 for the season and the def is at 100.8. The year before they struggled together offensively post all-star break but put up crazy good def rating of 92.5. This season Favors and Gobert have played 131 minutes together and put up 109.4 off rating and 94.7 def rating which are both much better than the teams season average. Favors and Diaw this season by the way are putting up 139.7 off rating and 96.9 def rating but that is only in 23 minutes of playing together. Rudy and Diaw are 111 off rating and 100.4 defensive rating in their minutes together this season. Rudy and Lyles are 111 off and 103 def this season.

Favors has been our second best player for a couple years. Hayward and Gobert both stepped up this season there is no reason to think Favors wont step up as well when he gets healthy. Favors was close to our best player at the start of last season before he got injured. Favors was our second best offensive weapon next to Hayward and I think he will be this season. Favors was our second best defender next to Rudy and will be this season. Although Gobert is better at defending the rim Favors is better at almost every other part of defense.

George Hill.

With Hill running things, our offense with both Gobert and Favors will be very good/great.

Don't get me wrong, if Snyder wanted to post up Favors every play, then things could get a bit clogged. Jazz don't need to do that though. Like I've said before, you don't need 4 guys at the 3 point line to have adequate spacing. Hill, Hood and Hayward with Favors mid-range is not a spacing problem.

Problem is we can't keep all three of Hill, Hayward, and Favors beyond this year.

Ok. Don't listen to me. I'm full of ****.

Jazz also have $30+ million invested in Diaw, JJ and Burks this year and next. Wrecks their depth to move on from them, but there's ways to create cap space to keep who they need. Bigger questions will be what kind of contracts Hood, Exum and Lyles will command (Jingles and Mack to a lesser extent also). If the Jazz top 5 of Gobert, Favors, Hayward, Hood and Hill can actually contend, you do everything possible to keep them and then supplement that as well as possible.

Ok. Don't listen to me. I'm full of ****.

If Utah can extend Hill and Hayward re-signs, we can keep this group together for 1 more year. However, you're right in that it gets tricky after that, and Utah may very well end up in a position where we can't keep Favors, or at least we'll have to move other players to make it work. IMO, you keep everyone for now and see where we're at next year, unless some great opportunity comes along for a big name.

For me if one looks at the team's salary situation and fit it looks quite clear that Favors is the odd man out. Not because he isn't good, he is very good. But because in terms of best fit of your best players together, out of Gobert, Hayward, Hill and Favors, the combination of 3 that in this modern NBA will be the most efficient is Gobert, Hayward and Hill.

If the FO tries to resign Hill and Hayward they will get if not max, close to max or let's say "big" contracts, and you need to keep depth around them in the meantime as well.

It depends on how the season goes and injuries, but I would expect the FO to try and cash out on Favors nex summer or risk losing him for naught the summer after that.

For me if one looks at the team's salary situation and fit it looks quite clear that Favors is the odd man out. Not because he isn't good, he is very good. But because in terms of best fit of your best players together, out of Gobert, Hayward, Hill and Favors, the combination of 3 that in this modern NBA will be the most efficient is Gobert, Hayward and Hill.

If the FO tries to resign Hill and Hayward they will get if not max, close to max or let's say "big" contracts, and you need to keep depth around them in the meantime as well.

It depends on how the season goes and injuries, but I would expect the FO to try and cash out on Favors nex summer or risk losing him for naught the summer after that.

I'm uncomfortable with the signing of 30 year old Hill to a 4 year max contract. 3/60 would be great. If it's ~4/100, I think the Jazz should go with Favors, and find a cheaper option at PG to supplement -a hopefully more developed- Exum.

I'm uncomfortable with the signing of 30 year old Hill to a 4 year max contract. 3/60 would be great. If it's ~4/100, I think the Jazz should go with Favors, and find a cheaper option at PG to supplement -a hopefully more developed- Exum.

I don't think Hill will get a max contract, but I could see him getting a big contract, say something like 4/70 or so, and that will still have a big real impact.

Last year Jazz had an off rating of 106.4 when Gobert and Favors played together and def of 102.2. That is without any PG play and both of them playing through injuries. This year our off rating is at 108.3 for the season and the def is at 100.8. The year before they struggled together offensively post all-star break but put up crazy good def rating of 92.5. This season Favors and Gobert have played 131 minutes together and put up 109.4 off rating and 94.7 def rating which are both much better than the teams season average. Favors and Diaw this season by the way are putting up 139.7 off rating and 96.9 def rating but that is only in 23 minutes of playing together. Rudy and Diaw are 111 off rating and 100.4 defensive rating in their minutes together this season. Rudy and Lyles are 111 off and 103 def this season.

Favors has been our second best player for a couple years. Hayward and Gobert both stepped up this season there is no reason to think Favors wont step up as well when he gets healthy. Favors was close to our best player at the start of last season before he got injured. Favors was our second best offensive weapon next to Hayward and I think he will be this season. Favors was our second best defender next to Rudy and will be this season. Although Gobert is better at defending the rim Favors is better at almost every other part of defense.
Excellent post.
I was wrong

Maybe I'm wrong. I was under the impression we can't afford all three. Is that wrong?
Do you mean can't as in a rule? Or can't as in won't pay the luxury tax?