What's new

Salt Lake City Hoops Offseason Target: Jrue Holiday

Holiday could be a good player for us.

He has a good size and length and plays defense well.

On the downside he is a poor shooter, injury prone and not a efficient PG.

Assuming a move for him would include Burke, then we would have a great length and defense from our starters and our bench. Such a move would probably get us into the playoffs. Personally I would not be willing to give up our 1st round pick for him. I don't think he is going to be much better than Dante next year. (I do have high hopes for Dante.)

I'm worried about his injuries. Otherwise he's a good PG who can help if we decide that we need immediate help at the PG spot.

Assuming a move for him would include Burke, then we would have a great length and defense from our starters and our bench. Such a move would probably get us into the playoffs. Personally I would not be willing to give up our 1st round pick for him. I don't think he is going to be much better than Dante next year. (I do have high hopes for Dante.)

He is a career FG% .439 and 3pt% .376

How is that bad shooting?

I would do it for Burke + our 1st, though I see no reason why they would do that. We would have to offer something else to make it work, and I wouldn't send Booker.
If he was with us, i'd like to still have him play backup PG/6th man ala Isiah Thomas. If we kept his minutes to 26-28 per game, I think his injury problems of the past wouldn't be as much of a risk.

He would make us better, but I wouldn't want to give up anything significant to get him. We do have cap space and could target another PG just as easy.

It's nutso to give up a lottery pick for a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the floor. Burke + a second-round pick is my ceiling.

It's nutso to give up a lottery pick for a guy who hasn't been able to stay on the floor. Burke + a second-round pick is my ceiling.

...and obviously that doesn't work salary-wise... anywhoo...

No chance. Can't stay healthy, and would be a really expensive backup (...no PG we acquire is taking the starting gig from Exum).

No chance. Can't stay healthy, and would be a really expensive backup (...no PG we acquire is taking the starting gig from Exum).

Why? Exum currently sucks, and he will develop as long as he's getting minutes. There is no reason he should be guaranteed a permanent starting spot.

I'd take him if the price was right. If healthy he's probably a top 12ish point guard... he's only 24 so if he gets right he'll be close to his prime years. I don't have the details or care that much to look them up on his injury issues, but Steph had some ankle issues once upon a time and he seems to have rebounded (although he is probably the outlier)

I don't think we will be able to give them what they would want for him. I can only see them making a panic based move because the GM needs to win now to save his job. If we were to give them Burke who is healthy and help them clear cap space so they can go sign someone it might be something appealing to them. Of course if they sell him that low I might be even more concerned with the injury stuff... they have more info than anyone.

I think it would likely cost us our pick and Burke... if that's the case then pass. If it was the OKC pick, Burke, and cap space then it would be a good gamble. Not sure I would come up much higher and I'm sure they'd want more.

Why? Exum currently sucks, and he will develop as long as he's getting minutes. There is no reason he should be guaranteed a permanent starting spot.

I wouldn't mind seeing Utah bring in a vet PG who could at least challenge Dante for the starting spot, but he does not suck. He's very good on the defensive end, which is 50% of the game. On the offensive end, he obviously has a lot of room to improve, but even though he's not doing a lot of scoring, he does little to hurt the team, because he understands and knows how to play within his limitations. Trey Burke could learn a thing or two from Dante. I agree that he shouldn't be guaranteed a starting spot, but let's not ignore that Utah started winning a lot after he was inserted into the starting lineup.

Poor shooter? Lol he is a career 38% 3pt shooter. He is a near perfect fit for us given his size. I'd trade Burks for him. Yeah, his recent injury history sucks, but it could very well be a 2 year fluke and you end up buying low on a top 10 PG.