What's new

Salt Lake City Hoops Offseason Target: Jrue Holiday

Why is nobody asking if a trade like any of the ones that have been proposed make sense for NO? I get that Holiday has an injury history. But even if they were considering trading him, I don't think NO would be all that impressed by a couple or few mediocre assets we've proposed throwing their way.

If they're going to give away a nice asset, they probably want to improve immediately, not push the timetable back a couple more years. What is it their team needs to take another step next year? It's very likely not Trey, not Alec (given that they have Tyreke Evans), and certainly not this year's pick.

I agree that New Orleans would not accepted what we would ultimately be willing to part with. He likely holds more value to other teams than he would to us.

Why is nobody asking if a trade like any of the ones that have been proposed make sense for NO? I get that Holiday has an injury history. But even if they were considering trading him, I don't think NO would be all that impressed by a couple or few mediocre assets we've proposed throwing their way.

If they're going to give away a nice asset, they probably want to improve immediately, not push the timetable back a couple more years. What is it their team needs to take another step next year? It's very likely not Trey, not Alec (given that they have Tyreke Evans), and certainly not this year's pick.

I think it's fairly likely that they would like to pick in this draft and feel that given Holiday's injury history and his incompatibility with Evans and Gordon that he is expendable. I would not be shocked if 12/Burke/Filler got it done, and if not that adding 1 of 2 future picks.

Let's just trade Rudy for Holiday. That would be an excellent trade for both teams. Man... I should seriously be in the front office!

All good points. Demps has been giving away draft picks like they were STD's in a whore house. I doubt the 12th pick would interest him(if he is the guy making the final decision for us many think Mickey Loomis has the final say).

I think even if our front office views Burke as they did coming out of UM they'd still see this as a step backwards in the time table. They whole reason we traded two 1st for Holiday was to speed up said time table. Now if ownership has backed off of that time table or a third team is involved I could see something shaking. Maybe a team like the Pacers want to hit the reset button and are willing to accept Burke and the 12th pick and move Hill and Hibbert it might work.

All good points. Demps has been giving away draft picks like they were STD's in a whore house. I doubt the 12th pick would interest him(if he is the guy making the final decision for us many think Mickey Loomis has the final say).

I think even if our front office views Burke as they did coming out of UM they'd still see this as a step backwards in the time table. They whole reason we traded two 1st for Holiday was to speed up said time table. Now if ownership has backed off of that time table or a third team is involved I could see something shaking. Maybe a team like the Pacers want to hit the reset button and are willing to accept Burke and the 12th pick and move Hill and Hibbert it might work.

Now would you rather have Hill or Holiday?

If Holiday doesn't have a recent injury history this isn't even a feasible trade. It's buying low on a player with recent injury history and hoping it's just a fluke thing that happened the past 2 years.

If Holiday doesn't have a recent injury history this isn't even a feasible trade. It's buying low on a player with recent injury history and hoping it's just a fluke thing that happened the past 2 years.

Yep. Young enough that even if he has some injuries going forward he would be a nice stopgap and slide into a good backup role here.

How serious were his injuries? I know it had something to do with his ankles and he was in a boot for a while, but that's all I remember hearing.

How serious were his injuries? I know it had something to do with his ankles and he was in a boot for a while, but that's all I remember hearing.

By themselves they aren't that serious. The bad sign would be he has had two similar injuries (maybe the same injury, too lazy to look up, but both were lower body) in back to back years.

So it's either a fluke thing that happened (very likely, remember how people were scared about Curry's early injuries) or that it's a reoccurring problem that he is stuck with for the rest of his life (also very likely).

By themselves they aren't that serious. The bad sign would be he has had two similar injuries (maybe the same injury, too lazy to look up, but both were lower body) in back to back years.

So it's either a fluke thing that happened (very likely, remember how people were scared about Curry's early injuries) or that it's a reoccurring problem that he is stuck with for the rest of his life (also very likely).
So you're saying that there's over a 100% chance that it's one of the other of these two things? Very insightful.

I'm very split on Jrue. Injuries are always a concern, especially when they are in back to back years and on similar parts of the body. But when the guy is healthy he is a young top 10-12 PG. His contract isnt terrible. If its Burke and our draft pick this year then I say we do it, but I doubt the Pelicans go for that. I don't want to see Hood or Burks go for Holliday.
Other thing that concerns me is how willing would he be to share minutes with Exum and, eventually, be benched by him?

Only reason they would sell low enough on Holiday that I'd buy is if they felt like Tyreke and Gordon is the back court they want to role with and that the cap space we give them would help them fill other holes. Burke would give them a cheap backup and the draft asset, i wouldn't give our pick this year but maybe one of the other picks we have, may assist in another trade to bring in more immediate help. Their pieces don't fit well and they will need to sign a center this offseason. They need some flexibility and this would be one way to get it.

I don't think its likely that they would be this desperate. Demps is on a short leash, but I imagine him selling Holiday for 50 cents on the dollar would look pretty bad when he overpaid for him a couple years ago... businesses shouldn't make decisions based on sunk costs but it happens all the time.

Only reason they would sell low enough on Holiday that I'd buy is if they felt like Tyreke and Gordon is the back court they want to role with and that the cap space we give them would help them fill other holes. Burke would give them a cheap backup and the draft asset, i wouldn't give our pick this year but maybe one of the other picks we have, may assist in another trade to bring in more immediate help. Their pieces don't fit well and they will need to sign a center this offseason. They need some flexibility and this would be one way to get it.

I don't think its likely that they would be this desperate. Demps is on a short leash, but I imagine him selling Holiday for 50 cents on the dollar would look pretty bad when he overpaid for him a couple years ago... businesses shouldn't make decisions based on sunk costs but it happens all the time.

Or that Holiday is their most tradeable player and would net the most return. They would probably love to trade Gordon's albatross contract the most.

Now would you rather have Hill or Holiday?

That's tough. Hill has been really good and Holiday has been injured. Holiday when healthy is young let more talented. If someway we could get both Hibbert and Hill that might be enough to move management to ship Hill. Not sure if it works salary wise.