What's new

Salt Lake City Hoops Offseason Target: Jrue Holiday

I like Holiday. I thought Utah could have built a package around Kanter to NOP for Holiday at the trade deadline. He has had two very injury-filled seasons in NO (playing less than 80 games combined) and they gave up a lot for him (Nerlens Noel), so there asking price could be a lot higher than he might be worth.

What if it's a bigger trade? Holiday/Ryan Anderson (agreed to in principle, traded after Jazz have cap space) for Johnson, Garrett, T. Burke, Booker, Lotto pick, Future G.s. 1st, 2nd rounder.

Holiday / Exum
Hood / Burk
Hayward / Ingles / Millsap
Favors / Anderson
Gobert.

N.O. is going to be the same team this next year without any trades. I think they se the need to shake things up. With this trade if they cut on non guaranteed deals they could have an additional 15 million ish to play with this off season. If eric Gordan opts up, thats like 30 million.

Poor shooter? Lol he is a career 38% 3pt shooter. He is a near perfect fit for us given his size. I'd trade Burks for him. Yeah, his recent injury history sucks, but it could very well be a 2 year fluke and you end up buying low on a top 10 PG.

If the price is Burke, then by all means, roll the dice. I doubt he'll be attainable for an acceptable price, however. If we're giving up our pick, there are other players I'd rather pursue.

Why? Exum currently sucks, and he will develop as long as he's getting minutes. There is no reason he should be guaranteed a permanent starting spot.

This.

Exum has amazing potential and I still think he will be a great PG in this league. Still no reason to put all of our eggs in that basket quite yet.

Exum should not have received as many minutes as he did last year and did nothing offensively. He has potential, but he shouldn't be guaranteed to start just because he has potential.

Poor shooter? Lol he is a career 38% 3pt shooter. He is a near perfect fit for us given his size. I'd trade Burks for him. Yeah, his recent injury history sucks, but it could very well be a 2 year fluke and you end up buying low on a top 10 PG.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holidjr01.html

You're right he is a better shooter than I remembered.

The concern is this-- would he resign in two years? And would we want him to resign. Our cap space is going to be going to Gobert, Exum and Favors. Probably to one of Hayward and Burks will still be here.

The other concern with Holiday is he played 40 games last year. And he played 34 games the year before that. In fact in half his 6 years he played 70 games or less.

Exum should not have received as many minutes as he did last year and did nothing offensively. He has potential, but he shouldn't be guaranteed to start just because he has potential.

All that winning did get old. Plus we'd have a better pick if we had given some of Exum's minutes back to Trey.

I would love holiday to be our starting pg next season.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/h/holidjr01.html

You're right he is a better shooter than I remembered.

The concern is this-- would he resign in two years? And would we want him to resign. Our cap space is going to be going to Gobert, Exum and Favors. Probably to one of Hayward and Burks will still be here.

The other concern with Holiday is he played 40 games last year. And he played 34 games the year before that. In fact in half his 6 years he played 70 games or less.

It's a classic risk/reward scenario really. If in two years, he has outplayed Exum and shown that he is a legit top 10 PG then we invest in him again long term. If Exum is better and really comes into his own by then, we go with Exum and thank Holliday for making us better for 2 years of service. I love Exum as much as the next guy, but I'd be really upset if he never breaks out as a star and we had no plan B for our long term PG spot.

The expanded deal with holiday and Anderson would be wonderful. We would be very good next year. Probably the first acquisition target that I could really get behind and it makes sense for the Pelicans too.

Why? Exum currently sucks, and he will develop as long as he's getting minutes. There is no reason he should be guaranteed a permanent starting spot.
Saying Exum sucks is just incorrect. He's timid on offense but he's really good on defense. I agree that he should not be guaranteed a starting spot, however for all the credit Gobert gets for the Jazz's defense at the end of the season the defense starting improving dramatically when Exum became starter and just got better when Gobert also joined the starting lineup.

I disagree. I wish he had gotten more of Burke's minutes. He was better than Burke last year. He had a better impact on the game than Burke. Therefore he should have gotten more not less minutes from Burke.

Saying Exum sucks is just incorrect. He's timid on offense but he's really good on defense. I agree that he should not be guaranteed a starting spot, however for all the credit Gobert gets for the Jazz's defense at the end of the season the defense starting improving dramatically when Exum became starter and just got better when Gobert also joined the starting lineup.

He is good on D (if still flawed), and a complete liability offensively. So it's a wash. He doesn't hurt the team, but he's not a net positive either. Saying that he sucks was in jest, but what matters is that him being a starter regardless of the alternative is a stupid way of looking at it. Holiday is a good defender and much better offensively. Exum does deserve to start in front of Burke, but there are plenty of PGs who would make for a major upgrade.

If he could be obtained at a reasonable price, he is the type of PG (young, unselfish, good 3 pt shooter/defender, & on a great contract) that would fit well with the rest of our core; although injuries & the presence of Dante Exum make him a potential opportunistic buy-low candidate rather than a preferable trade target (for this team). Unless New Orleans were to approach trading him as a means to clear salary (which is unlikely considering the fact that he still holds a fair amount of value), I don't think it would make sense for a team such as this one to invest significant assets into a player who has played less than a full season combined over the last two years & plays the same position as their most promising prospect who is greatly in need of as much playing time/development as possible.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't pull the trigger on a trade solely because of Exum, as either him or Holiday are capable of playing the 2, but it would have to be at the right price (probably one that would cause NOP to hang up). Considering his age & contract, my guess is that the Pelicans would ask for something along the lines of: #12/Burke/Hood/& a future 1st. I would probably consider giving up Burke/#12 or Burke/Burks/& (1 of) OKC or GSW 1st, which is likely below market value for a player of his caliber (even with his injury history). I am a proponent of either starting Exum or trading him, but if the opportunity to buy low on an all-star caliber PG presents itself, while still leaving enough minutes available for Exum to continue developing at an optimal pace, then it is a move that would have to, at the very least, be considered. Adding (a healthy- big if) Jrue Holiday (while retaining the majority of last year's key contributors) would likely propel this team from fighting for a playoff berth to a potential top 5/6 seed.

If he could be obtained at a reasonable price, he is the type of PG (young, unselfish, good 3 pt shooter/defender, & on a great contract) that would fit well with the rest of our core; although injuries & the presence of Dante Exum make him a potential opportunistic buy-low candidate rather than a preferable trade target (for this team). Unless New Orleans were to approach trading him as a means to clear salary (which is unlikely considering the fact that he still holds a fair amount of value), I don't think it would make sense for a team such as this one to invest significant assets into a player who has played less than a full season combined over the last two years & plays the same position as their most promising prospect who is greatly in need of as much playing time/development as possible.

That isn't to say that I wouldn't pull the trigger on a trade solely because of Exum, as either him or Holiday are capable of playing the 2, but it would have to be at the right price (probably one that would cause NOP to hang up). Considering his age & contract, my guess is that the Pelicans would ask for something along the lines of: #12/Burke/Hood/& a future 1st. I would probably consider giving up Burke/#12 or Burke/Burks/& (1 of) OKC or GSW 1st, which is likely below market value for a player of his caliber (even with his injury history). I am a proponent of either starting Exum or trading him, but if the opportunity to buy low on an all-star caliber PG presents itself, while still leaving enough minutes available for Exum to continue developing at an optimal pace, then it is a move that would have to, at the very least, be considered. Adding (a healthy- big if) Jrue Holiday (while retaining the majority of last year's key contributors) would likely propel this team from fighting for a playoff berth to a potential top 5/6 seed.

Save it for your fantasy league team. I would hate for the Jazz to give up what we have for a maybe. It's suggestions like these that make me glad that DL is running the show.

Why is nobody asking if a trade like any of the ones that have been proposed make sense for NO? I get that Holiday has an injury history. But even if they were considering trading him, I don't think NO would be all that impressed by a couple or few mediocre assets we've proposed throwing their way.

If they're going to give away a nice asset, they probably want to improve immediately, not push the timetable back a couple more years. What is it their team needs to take another step next year? It's very likely not Trey, not Alec (given that they have Tyreke Evans), and certainly not this year's pick.

Save it for your fantasy league team. I would hate for the Jazz to give up what we have for a maybe. It's suggestions like these that make me glad that DL is running the show.

How is that giving up what we have for a maybe? I agree that we would be acquiring a maybe, but we'd be doing so without giving up what we have. Burke was not a major contributor to the success we had last year & if anything had a negative impact on the team, while Burks missed the majority of the year. We would be adding a young former all-star on a reasonable contract at the position in which we received the least amount of production from, while still retaining every single significant contributor from last year's team. We would be trading multiple maybes for another maybe. Holiday has proven that he is a top 10 PG when healthy; maybe he'll stay healthy, maybe he won't. Burke hasn't proven that he is a starting caliber player; maybe he will eventually, maybe he won't. Burks regressed statistically in his brief stint in Snyder's system & hasn't proven that he fits; maybe he will, maybe he won't. And draft picks, whether it's late in the lottery or late in the 1st, are always a maybe. Personally, I'll take the soon to be 25 year old, former all-star on a reasonable contract, at the position in which we received the least amount of production, maybe over those other maybes.

Last edited:
Why is nobody asking if a trade like any of the ones that have been proposed make sense for NO? I get that Holiday has an injury history. But even if they were considering trading him, I don't think NO would be all that impressed by a couple or few mediocre assets we've proposed throwing their way.

If they're going to give away a nice asset, they probably want to improve immediately, not push the timetable back a couple more years. What is it their team needs to take another step next year? It's very likely not Trey, not Alec (given that they have Tyreke Evans), and certainly not this year's pick.

Pelicans need to re-sign Asik or upgrade center (maybe Splitter or Hibbert). They need 2s and 3s, as Evans is only good one they got, unless Gordon is healthy. Maybe they sign Rondo as insurance policy for Holiday?

Sent from the JazzFanz app