What's new

Salt Lake City Summer League, July 8-10

I am confident that Zack will struggle against Kessler. Almost everyone on the NBA struggles with Kessler on them. Kessler is one of the very best defenders in the NBA.

Sent from my CPH2451 using Tapatalk
For a rookie Edey did pretty good against him tonight. I knew Kessler would have his hands full vs a 7'4 giant. Outrebounded (4 offensive rebounds) and Edey shot 7/11.

14 pts 13 rebounds in his Summer League debut against a solid interior defender, not really going to consider that struggling.

A few take-aways:
** Keyonte was obviously ball-dominant, especially in the 1st half. It wasn't clear what plays he was running. He was supposed to rub his defender off on a screen and get downhill and do something, but I'm not sure what he was supposed to do. He looks like a combo-guard a la Reggie Jackson in Detroit. He does seem able to get downhill and draw fouls. I still think he's better playing off the ball and being used as a secondary creator.
** Filipowski is going to need to hit the corner-3. He missed two back-to-back and didn't look comfortable from NBA range tonight. He's not going to be able to dominate inside like he did in college. He showed some nice flashes of passing. He doesn't look like a starter at first glance. The lack of rim presence defensively really stands out.
** Memphis didn't respect the Jazz's shooters and the spacing tonight was terrible. It led to situations where the Jazz's ball handlers had nowhere to go. I think this was part of Brice's problem with turnovers.
** Cody only touched the ball a few times. He had a couple slippery drives for buckets, and had a nice mid-range jumper off the dribble.
** Collier looked like he was ready to compete physically at the NBA level, unlike our other rookies. He has some speed going end-to-end and makes clean passes even when he's going full speed. He looked pretty comfortable knocking down a couple 3s.

My only hope is that the coaches purposefully wanted to use SL to make Keyonte less hesitant and let him try all of his offensive tools without any worry if it's effective. Sorta like how Agbaji forced everything and chucked away in the last year's SL.

A few take-aways:
** Keyonte was obviously ball-dominant, especially in the 1st half. It wasn't clear what plays he was running. He was supposed to rub his defender off on a screen and get downhill and do something, but I'm not sure what he was supposed to do. He looks like a combo-guard a la Reggie Jackson in Detroit. He does seem able to get downhill and draw fouls. I still think he's better playing off the ball and being used as a secondary creator.
** Filipowski is going to need to hit the corner-3. He missed two back-to-back and didn't look comfortable from NBA range tonight. He's not going to be able to dominate inside like he did in college. He showed some nice flashes of passing. He doesn't look like a starter at first glance. The lack of rim presence defensively really stands out.
** Memphis didn't respect the Jazz's shooters and the spacing tonight was terrible. It led to situations where the Jazz's ball handlers had nowhere to go. I think this was part of Brice's problem with turnovers.
** Cody only touched the ball a few times. He had a couple slippery drives for buckets, and had a nice mid-range jumper off the dribble.
** Collier looked like he was ready to compete physically at the NBA level, unlike our other rookies. He has some speed going end-to-end and makes clean passes even when he's going full speed. He looked pretty comfortable knocking down a couple 3s.
Brother it's SL. Teams arent scouting. I watched Adam Flager get left wide open play after play despite knocking down shots.

For a rookie Edey did pretty good against him tonight. I knew Kessler would have his hands full vs a 7'4 giant. Outrebounded (4 offensive rebounds) and Edey shot 7/11.

14 pts 13 rebounds in his Summer League debut against a solid interior defender, not really going to consider that struggling.
Agreed

Sent from my OPD2203 using Tapatalk

If there's a rookie to be a bit concerned about it's probably Filipowski, imo. He does have some limitations defensively, and he'll need to knock down 3PAs at some level of efficiency for his game to make sense. His flashes of handling and passing are encouraging though.

For comparison, Filipowski's wingspan and standing reach measured the same as our guy Luka Samanic. Filipowski is a bit bigger and less clumsy, but defensively those two might end up being somewhat comparable.

Last edited:
If there's a rookie to be a bit concerned about it's probably Filipowski, imo. He does have some limitations defensively, and he'll need to knock down 3PAs at some level of efficiency for his game to make sense. His flashes of handling and passing are encouraging though.

For comparison, Filipowski's wingspan and standing reach measured the same as our guy Luka Samanic. Filipowski is a bit bigger and less clumsy, but defensively those two might end up being somewhat comparable.
Hes probably going to be the best rookie so not really concerned at all

Sensabaugh is the most concerning player imo. He can't play defense and if he's turning it over by not being able to bring the ball up against Jake Laravia pressure?

He’s going to struggle against faster guards and wings. He’s trying to survive defensively. The turnovers were probably as related to the game being chaotic as anything else. He was turnover prone in the Gleague last year, but seemed to clean it up later in the season.

On a positive note, he was the Jazz’s best shooter yesterday.

He’s going to struggle against faster guards and wings. He’s trying to survive defensively. The turnovers were probably as related to the game being chaotic as anything else. He was turnover prone in the Gleague last year, but seemed to clean it up later in the season.

On a positive note, he was the Jazz’s best shooter yesterday.
HE WaS STRUGGLING AGAINST JAKE LARAVAIA ONE ON ONE, NO SCREENS.

Who did have 7 fouls, but I certainly agree it was concerning.
They both couldn't guard each other to a concerning degree.

You can be a bad defender in the NBA, but when you are a tragic defender who loses the ball when Jake Laravia is pressing you....

I think Williams/Filipowski/Preston playing more could lead to some better ball movement moments. Collier/Lofton are both ball stoppers naturally, but those 3 are more of what Jazz fans are accustomed to in terms of instinctual passing and ball movement players.

Back