What's new

Season heading towards returning

oneye

2018 Award Winner
It’s going to happen

Also was reported that Disney World is the front runner of places it’s going to happen.

I really don't understand the NBA obsession with finishing the season. Just cancel the damn thing and have a new, normal season start in late October.
Uhh because the estimated costs would be around $2 billion if they don’t. The cap would likely drop nearly $30 million for a couple seasons and force smaller market teams like us to more likely lose players sooner than we should. The cap dropping that significantly specifically impacts the Jazz in a very negative way. Both in the tax bill, and also in terms of Donovan’s contract. It’s an outside possibility because the players association would likely try to smooth it out over several seasons but if the cap drops $30 million. Donovan’s contract is based off of 25% of the cap. If the cap is $90 million and not $120 million for the year his cap % is based off of, he’ll sign a shorter deal and wait for the cap to recover and sign the 5 year big money after its recovered. You want him to be an UFA in 2 years? I certainly don’t. The NBA needs to finish this season. The implications of not doing so are killers.

Now the likelihood is the NBA nor players union wants the cap to drop that much or players who are supposed to get paid those years to get screwed so they’ll work something out so the cap doesn’t drop 2 years and then spike. But if the season doesn’t return it is a possibility guys like Donovan would sign a 3 year contract with a player option for the 3rd year so they can opt out and get paid when the cap raises again.

No one wants to lose the season. Not players. Not owners. Not the league. The financial implications are very heavy.

Last edited:
No one wants to lose the season. Not players. Not owners. Not the league. The financial implications are very heavy.

Well, duh. This is all obviously about money. As far as the actual product goes, this is going to be some random one off tournament with no atmosphere and dubious legitimacy. The season ended two months ago. Pretending that it didn't and "continuing" in July is just delusional.

Well, duh. This is all obviously about money. As far as the actual product goes, this is going to be some random one off tournament with no atmosphere and dubious legitimacy. The season ended two months ago. Pretending that it didn't and "continuing" in July is just delusional.
The ratings will be astronomical, and they get their TV money. Finishing the season, is almost imperative financially. It really doesn’t matter. The ratings will be huge. The actual product is live basketball and a finished season that keeps the financial implications as minimal as they can given the circumstances. Finishing it, is only a net positive.

I would guess or bet just because of the current situation and climate the ratings for regular season games would very likely be at an all time high. You have the same people that would watch (like us here) no matter what but then you'd have all the casuals that might only watch a few here and there maybe. With several tiers of viewers between that and people who wouldn't even normally watch a regular season game.

That increase of people interested would trickle down and I don't see how TV commercial revenue wouldn't want to do everything they can to get any and all games on TV.

Heck I wasn't a huge fan of the mid season tournament proposal but now I would AbsoF'nLutely watch and love every second of it. Start with the season off with playing their own division tournament style and branch off from their into different pools. Give me something, anything.

For the record I would go into any restart of the season with not having any real expectations and would watch for the sheer joy of having sports to watch. It's not apples to apples but similar to the season of the AK led team the year after S&M were no longer on the team and just came up short of making the playoffs. I had 0 expectations and that was one of the funnest times I had watching games because of it.

I wonder how motivated the players are going to be.
I would guess very, at least playoff teams. Sucks we lost Bogey. This would be a huge audience for Rudy and Donovan to show themselves off to a huge audience on national TV. Hopefully the Jazz will perform great.

I really don't understand the NBA obsession with finishing the season. Just cancel the damn thing and have a new, normal season start in late October.
I can think of a few billion dollars as a reason.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

When the teams finish their quarantine and have their training camp, can they bring other players in as part of the camp? I'm thinking GLeague or Euro players that the Jazz could scrimmage against to get sharp? We are already down one guy and it doesn't sound like Conley or JIngles are that enthused right now because of kids on the way.

When the teams finish their quarantine and have their training camp, can they bring other players in as part of the camp? I'm thinking GLeague or Euro players that the Jazz could scrimmage against to get sharp? We are already down one guy and it doesn't sound like Conley or JIngles are that enthused right now because of kids on the way.
It would be tough no doubt. Idk exactly how this will all work but it’s going to go forward unless there’s a significant change for the worse virus wise.

The Jazz ended the 'pre-covid' season on a terrible note so part of me wouldn't mind the season ending as a fan.

Then again, the Jazz need to pull out of the slump and grow from it. They were just starting to jive based on the second unit coming together.

As a fan of basketball who could care less about the NBA's financial goals, I wanna watch some basketball!

Uhh because the estimated costs would be around $2 billion if they don’t.
Even if they do resume, they aren't going to come anywhere close to recapturing that amount of money. I think it's smarter to plan for the next season and start that up as early and SAFELY as you can. That way all teams can get back to playing, not just the playoff teams.

Can someone update me about JIngles situation?
I know that he was reluctant to finish the season because of it will be a danger for his family iirc...

It sounds like he isn't the only one. Conley has got a child on the way and was quoted as to not be excited to be away from family. Some players on teams that aren't going to be making the playoffs are asking to be scratched the rest of "this" season.

My issue with all this is that if you have this whole mess makes it almost impossible for the 2020-21 season to start on time. Last year, the playoffs took exactly 2 months: Apr 13 to Jun 13.

Now, if what they're saying about a mid-July return comes to fruition, even if they just abandoned the idea of any sort of regular season games being played, we are talking about playoffs going until mid to late September. Unless, of course, the NBA decides that rusty, formerly quarantined players ought to play every other day, and even then we're talking about a month and a half. How could you possibly start the next season in late October?

And if you don't and try to still play the full season and do the thing people have talked about where you have the season run from December to August, what about all the other stuff that affects? The Tokyo Olympics? We have international players on the Jazz. What about the college season not aligning any more? Are you going to hold the draft in September when college classes have already begun?