Shaq Harrison

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
He skipped practices?
Yes he did. He had a broken hand during the tiny training camp and because of Covid restrictions and a condensed schedule practice time has been basically eliminated... please tell me how much practice time and scrimmaging he would have had to prove himself... I swear some of y’all aren’t paying attention.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Yeah, I would assume Thomas will be packing his bags eventually. He's going to get chances though because I'm sure he shoots lights out in practice, but eventually it has to translate to the moments you get on the court.

Garbage time is not beyond worthless. It's worthless to look at Gobert stats in garbage time, sure. It's worthless to look at Niang's stats in garbage time (this season), but for guys who are at the end of the bench it's a great indicator of what kind of players they are (not necessarily stats, but just how they look/feel on the court). I remember Rayjon Tucker getting into the game and just chucking up the first bad look he got. There's guy who just look like they don't belong when they are on a NBA court and Shaq was one of those dudes. Sure, if you put him in a perfect situation and ask him to do very little he can succeed at not being a complete negative, but the moment you ask him to do anything on offense it falls apart, and when you run Utah's offense you can't have those kinds of players on the court.
Garbage time is worthless... he has a couple seasons of non garbage time where he’s proved to be a valuable defender. Making judgements on a guy who gets 3 minutes of playing time 3 hours after he’s warmed up and he’s playing with 4 other end of bench guys is ****ing worthless as a sample... sorry.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
So he's going to be stuck in the corner then. Utah's offense relies on ball-handlers who can shoot/make plays or off-ball players who can shoot. You can't put a guy like Shaq in any situation with Utah and except him to succeed. Hell I doubt he will even succeed in a situation that's perfect for him in Denver.
So he’d be Oni but likely a more disruptive and better overall defender... not saying he has to play but I’d rather have him than Thomas and we cut one guy and gave up a decent second for the other. Not great imo.

tonstermits

It was a tough start for him with the hand. Maybe it would have worked out if he had an off-season and training camp with the team. The Jazz probabaly did him a favor releasing him giving him the chance to get minutes somewhere. It’s easier to burry young guys on the bench that are projects versus doing the same to veteran type players that need minutes to keep their career afloat.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz

Saint Cy of JFC

So he’d be Oni but likely a more disruptive and better overall defender... not saying he has to play but I’d rather have him than Thomas and we cut one guy and gave up a decent second for the other. Not great imo.
Oni has a trigger. He's ready to shoot. He isnt good yet, but he doesnt really shy away from taking his open looks like Shaq does.

Saint Cy of JFC

Garbage time is worthless... he has a couple seasons of non garbage time where he’s proved to be a valuable defender. Making judgements on a guy who gets 3 minutes of playing time 3 hours after he’s warmed up and he’s playing with 4 other end of bench guys is ****ing worthless as a sample... sorry.
He's got a couple of seasons of playing on a team that played a ton of garbage time, so idk about that. Everything about Shaq's potential was based on garbage time.

Saint Cy of JFC

I have hated Thomas so far, but he at least has a potentially elite skill and there isnt anyone like him on the roster.

It's hard to justify keeping Shaq on a NBA contract when you have the younger, more talented version of him on a 2-way contract.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
He's got a couple of seasons of playing on a team that played a ton of garbage time, so idk about that. Everything about Shaq's potential was based on garbage time.
Yes but not all of that was end of game garbage time. He played on some bad teams but it was during times when they were still trying to win the game... it was much more meaningful.

We took a hammer and used it as a screwdriver... well then yeah it’s not going to look great.

Handlogten's Heros

2019 Award Winner
2020-21 Award Winner
Oni has a trigger. He's ready to shoot. He isnt good yet, but he doesnt really shy away from taking his open looks like Shaq does.
That’s fine but his defense has been meh. So he shoots when he’s open and it doesn’t go in... I think Shaq is a better player and the shot is concerning but there isn’t a big difference between a guy who won’t shoot and a guy who misses a lot.

Just not sure Oni is better than Shaq at all. I like both players and would have preferred to keep them in case of injury. I very likely could be wrong on Shaq. The rest of the league voted and he got a two way contract. I just would have rather seen is sift for the player we do need rather than get Thomas... it isn’t just that the shots aren’t going in... it’s that he can’t get open enough to get clean looks because he’s slow and small. I’d have rather see us cut Shaq then go after RHJ or wait for a guy like Darius Miller to get released. Thomas sucks and we will keep him around because we spent a second on him.

jom2003

Bench player be good in garbage time to rest starters. Then is complaint of load management.
This. It actually takes skill to be good and not suck during garbage time. Spurs find a way to blow out the Suns while resting three of their main guys including Derozan. Our guys have mostly underperformed, blew our lead and even costed us games when we rest Rudy or Conley.

Ron Mexico

Contributor
Yes he did. He had a broken hand during the tiny training camp and because of Covid restrictions and a condensed schedule practice time has been basically eliminated... please tell me how much practice time and scrimmaging he would have had to prove himself... I swear some of y’all aren’t paying attention.
I think he just wasnt good here that's the part that demands the most attention here. At no point did he show much when we saw him on the court and apparently didn't show much behind closed doors. I wish him the best else where. He really hasn't shown much for his career and he isn't really a young player with much upside still.