What's new

Shaq

Shaq ain't getting 18 minutes a game. His minute rotation will look a lot like Muiday's last year. For the expextations people are having here, he may well end up the most hated Jazzman by year's end.

Let's start by seeing if he can pull more minutes than Oni first, especially since he will get a late start.
My first sentence posed my qualifications on this. I think Shaq starts with about 14 minutes.

Shaq ain't getting 18 minutes a game. His minute rotation will look a lot like Muiday's last year. For the expextations people are having here, he may well end up the most hated Jazzman by year's end.

Let's start by seeing if he can pull more minutes than Oni first, especially since he will get a late start.
Let me guess..... we’ll be pining for Exum?

We are hyping him up but most hated Jazzman if he disappoints? We got him for a minimum deal and he came at the end of the the FA period. The worst case scenario is he sucks and we play Oni or Niang. If he’s a solid defender hustle guy that can’t shoot straight he’s likely to still be a fan favorite. He plays hard as hell... I doubt anyone gonna hate him for trying like hell and sucking.

The biggest thig is how willing he is to shoot. If hes out there passing up a bunch of looks that cause the offense to stall he will get canned quickly. Hopefully his broken hand isnt his shooting hand.

That's what's mainly going to separate Oni this season from Royce and Shaq.

The biggest thig is how willing he is to shoot. If hes out there passing up a bunch of looks that cause the offense to stall he will get canned quickly. Hopefully his broken hand isnt his shooting hand.

Tony said it was non-shooting hand.

If he is out there with Joe and JC he really won't need to shoot much... JC ain't even gonna look for him so he should be fine.

The only way Shaq becomes annoying is if he doesn't get the chance to play and people riot (fairly or unfairly).

He’s going to play the 4, and stretch the floor?
He rebounds at the same rate and can guard a 4 better than Niang.

People need to understand that the 4 is really just a wing position most of the time... You wouldn't say he's a 4 but he can play with a Joe, JC, Favs, Bojan or Royce lineup. Might get a little dicey if it is JC, Mike, Joe, Favs and Shaq but it isn't like Niang's additional height gives you something in that scenario. Shaq will block more shots and is his equal as a rebounder. Built like truck so he can hold his own if teams decide to back him down.

Just watched all Shaq's shots (on NBA.com/stats) from this past year (had previously just known him through stats and mostly defensive highlights). Some thoughts:
  • Not at all surprised if he's closer to 6-3 than 6-4. Very good athlete, but never looked particularly "big" for a guard. Decently built but (unlike Royce) doesn't have any particular bulk for a guard.
  • I can see where distrust of his offensive game comes from. Not very polished.
  • Footwork seems hit and miss, inconsistent
  • Don't trust the outside shot at all unless he has time. Some bad misses, but especially when rushed.
  • More offense self created than I would prefer (though perhaps a function of team), as it seemed like an adventure most of the time he drove.
  • Drives into lane frequently, with mixed results. Sometimes makes a nice play. Often seems to be without a plan. Shot frequently blocked. Plenty of bad misses after drives.
  • Seems to have some of the Conley ambidexterity. Will go with his right hand as often as left when in the lane (including on floaters).
  • Doesn't seem to have a great sense of pacing much of the time, though can occasionally come up with good plays through change of pace.
  • Clear that value on offense comes from energy rather than skill.

Just watched all Shaq's shots (on NBA.com/stats) from this past year (had previously just known him through stats and mostly defensive highlights). Some thoughts:
  • Not at all surprised if he's closer to 6-3 than 6-4. Very good athlete, but never looked particularly "big" for a guard. Decently built but (unlike Royce) doesn't have any particular bulk for a guard.
  • Don't trust the outside shot at all unless he has time. Some bad misses, but especially when rushed.
  • More offense self created than I would prefer (though perhaps a function of team), as it seemed like an adventure most of the time he drove.
  • Drives into lane frequently, with mixed results. Sometimes makes a nice play. Often seems to be without a plan. Shot frequently blocked. Plenty of bad misses after drives.
  • Seems to have some of the Conley ambidexterity. Will go with his right hand as often as left when in the lane (including on floaters).
  • Doesn't seem to have a great sense of pacing much of the time, though can occasionally come up with good plays through change of pace.
So you’re saying he’s basically a budget Latrell Sprewell.

I got the same impression when I watched some games of his. It’s not all bad but he really relies on his athleticism to make up his lack of feel for the game.

He sort of reminds me of a football player playing in a pickup game...but hey, sometimes that guy is useful.

He rebounds at the same rate and can guard a 4 better than Niang.

People need to understand that the 4 is really just a wing position most of the time... You wouldn't say he's a 4 but he can play with a Joe, JC, Favs, Bojan or Royce lineup. Might get a little dicey if it is JC, Mike, Joe, Favs and Shaq but it isn't like Niang's additional height gives you something in that scenario. Shaq will block more shots and is his equal as a rebounder. Built like truck so he can hold his own if teams decide to back him down.

The positions don’t matter, but I still think it’s an uphill climb for Shaq to get into the roar action.

Niang was really successful in the bench lineup once Green was gone. +4.6 with him on the court which was the highest of all bench players on roster. Having a knock down shooter is really useful.

I think it would take a lot for Shaq to take those minutes from him especially because he’s missing camp. He also has to fight off Oni and Morgan/Brantley potentially.

It's his off hand.