What's new

Should Mitt release his tax returns?

If it is for a pet horse, it sure is...
Where do you think all the money the red states like Texas take from the Federal Govt comes from?

You want to us pay trillions for the military, but don't want billionaires to pay taxes?

I guess the 14-15 million he paid isn't taxes. Is 15 Million 77 Thousand the start of taxes?

Let's see his tax returns and we can decide if he is paying his fair share.
I am guessing he's exploited tax loopholes out the wazoo.

Let's see more data to document his job creation record too. I'm guessing that is a load of BS too./

and let's see what the heck his plans are for America, besides redoing the stupid right wing policies that gave us the 1970's recession, the 1980s recession, the 1990s recession, and the 2 Bush recessions.

Let's see his tax returns and we can decide if he is paying his fair share.
I am guessing he's exploited tax loopholes out the wazoo.

Let's see more data to document his job creation record too. I'm guessing that is a load of BS too.

Honest question...what do you consider a "fair share"? a specific %? Or an amount?

Neither. It's complicated to give a full answer, it would require a book, ; a % of total, but that is only half of it, also taking into account the fairness of deductions, adjustments, etc that takes place before calculating income...
For example, If someone is writing off millions for entertainment expenses while someone else can not write off food for her kids, maybe that isn't fair, but this is not reflected in either % or amount.

1-3. Yes. The quesztions miss the point, but their answer is yes.

How so?

And honestly... does anyone here truly believe that Romney did his OWN taxes? Other than give general guidance like "pay as little as possible using any legal means available", don't you think it's a moot point?

He has a whole accounting department/wing/division to handle his taxes. They say "here it is, you owe this much. Sign here." He signs them. Then the tax preparer signs them. Then they're submitted.

Seriously? What are we going to know other than details about his wealth and asset allocation? What else is the point? It's not like we're going to catch him red-handed doing anything.

How so?

And honestly... does anyone here truly believe that Romney did his OWN taxes? Other than give general guidance like "pay as little as possible using any legal means available", don't you think it's a moot point?

He has a whole accounting department/wing/division to handle his taxes. They say "here it is, you owe this much. Sign here." He signs them. Then the tax preparer signs them. Then they're submitted.

Seriously? What are we going to know other than details about his wealth and asset allocation? What else is the point? It's not like we're going to catch him red-handed doing anything.

We won't know that until we look! [/northeastspeak]

I understand the argument of seeing what loopholes are exploited for the purposes of understanding the tax code. But... how about looking at the tax code? Why do we need to invade someone's privacy to understand the tax code? We can go actually... I don't know.... LOOK at the tax code.... novel concept....

I understand the argument of seeing what loopholes are exploited for the purposes of understanding the tax code. But... how about looking at the tax code? Why do we need to invade someone's privacy to understand the tax code? We can go actually... I don't know.... LOOK at the tax code.... novel concept....
Or maybe see that he was paid millions of dollars by Bain while he is publicly claiming that he was no longer working there.

If the guy's whole claim is that we should elect him based on his ability to make money, then he shouldn't be hiding how he has been making his money. Every other presidential candidate has been open about this, and the tradition of disclosing the tax returns was actually started by his own father.

The only reason this is an issue is because he started acting like he had something to hide. Whatever is actually in the returns probably would have been a non issue if he would have just released them in the first place.

Or, there is also the possibility that he has something fatal in his returns and that is why he would rather take all this heat instead of just releasing them. We won't actually know unless he releases them.

Not a good sign for a presidential candidate to be so secretive and hiding what used to be regularly disclosed though.... That should scare anyone who hasn't already committed to voting for him. Especially knowing that he gave McCain 20 years worth of returns in hopes of becoming his VP choice but McCain looked them over and then chose Palin.

From Obama's perspective, Mitt has an unfair advantage of looking like the wildly successful king of finance that he is, while Obama remains under his shadow as Wall Street's bitch. Maybe Obama should stop sucking off hedge fund managers and their lawyers for five dollar campaign contributions and start paying more attention to the folks who put him in office.

hedge fund managers and their lawyers did put him in office.

They are not supporting him as much this time around because he hurt their feelings a few times, even though he saved their industry from a meltdown, and a potential worldwide economic death spiral (not that I supported how he did that.)

Last edited:
A tax credit = free stuff from the government? Only in a libtard world.
Yes, a tax credit is getting something free from the government. It's money that they are giving you.

Do you think the earned income tax credit is something people get for free from the government? I do (and I know a lot of right wing nut jobs who do too).

If he is going to be taking out 77,000 tax credits for his pet horse, then he should not be bitching about some poor family getting $1000 in food stamps over the course of a year. But hypocrisy and flip flopping is certainly not anything new with Romney. In fact his refusal to release his tax returns is about the strongest position he's held on any issue so far, lol.

If he is going to be taking out 77,000 tax credits for his pet horse, then he should not be bitching about some poor family getting $1000 in food stamps over the course of a year. But hypocrisy and flip flopping is certainly not anything new with Romney. In fact his refusal to release his tax returns is about the strongest position he's held on any issue so far, lol.

Romney didn't get a $77,000 tax credit for any horse. You might want to reconsider where you get your information from.