What's new

Show Us Your Gaming Rig

but this one seems more your style. its a beauty but i would not like to see white in my case

index.php

there is also an x99 version of this

damm son that aurus is nice. never heard of this brand before. seems not europe based. checking out their website

Last edited:
I've generally leaned towards ASUS but my kid's computer has a Gigabyte MB and it has been solid. Really, if you don't get a dud any of the major brands are just fine.

The advantage the Aorus MB had is that it supports Thunderbolt 3 where none of the others in the same price range do.

My rig is pretty future proof. I don't see an upgrade coming anytime soon really.

I7-2600k (oc over 5 stable)
Asrock mobo, forget the model
32 GB 2100 ram
No SSD (probably my next upgrade really)
4 TB 7200 RPM drives in raid 10
Dual gtx 970's in SLI (got a killer deal)
Hyper 212 air cooled. I was going to go liquid but had this from another build and it's keeping the processor very cool with dual fans. Probably go liquid sometime in the future.

Yeah there is really nothing I can't play on 1440 high graphics. Skyrim full graphics well in excess of 80 fps. I mostly play FPS and it excels at that.

Oh yeah mechanical keyboard (cherry brown switches) and zowie mouse. Single 32" 2k monitor.

My rig is pretty future proof. I don't see an upgrade coming anytime soon really.

I7-2600k (oc over 5 stable)
Asrock mobo, forget the model
32 GB 2100 ram
No SSD (probably my next upgrade really)
4 TB 7200 RPM drives in raid 10
Dual gtx 970's in SLI (got a killer deal)
Hyper 212 air cooled. I was going to go liquid but had this from another build and it's keeping the processor very cool with dual fans. Probably go liquid sometime in the future.

Yeah there is really nothing I can't play on 1440 high graphics. Skyrim full graphics well in excess of 80 fps. I mostly play FPS and it excels at that.

Oh yeah mechanical keyboard (cherry brown switches) and zowie mouse. Single 32" 2k monitor.

yeah the i7's starting from sandy bridge are pretty future proof.

just get an ssd.

my mian reason fro upgrading is not that 3770k is not sufficient. but i want to have m.2 ssd those are killer. so if an upgrade is comming go balls to the walls on it

Yeah, M.2 NVMe SSDs are on a new higher level.

But z270 supports optane technology and optane will be 10x-1000x faster than current SSDs. It is so fast, in fact, it is as fast as your computer's RAM and can be used in place of system RAM. Coming this fall.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ntel-unveils-its-optane-hyperfast-memory.html

That's awesome. Once I start seeing my system lag I'll probably go the full new build route but I haven't experienced that yet. Plus the bang for the buck I got was amazing. I got both video cards for under 400 combined for example. I have less than 1500 in my current setup. I can't get anywhere near similar performance for anything close to that now.

Yeah, M.2 NVMe SSDs are on a new higher level.

But z270 supports optane technology and optane will be 10x-1000x faster than current SSDs. It is so fast, in fact, it is as fast as your computer's RAM and can be used in place of system RAM. Coming this fall.

https://www.computerworld.com/artic...ntel-unveils-its-optane-hyperfast-memory.html

While the technology is amazing, I don't see it taking off for a while. DRAM is still considerably faster, so it doesn't make sense to replace that with Optane. And at 16-32 GB capacity, at what is sure to be an outrageous price, it doesn't make sense for storage either.

I give it 5 or so years before it starts becoming mainstream. It needs to be price and capacity competitive with SSDs.

I can't get anywhere near similar performance for anything close to that now.

Ya of course you can. A single 1070 will outperform your 970 SLI setup in the vast majority of situations.

Ya of course you can. A single 1070 will outperform your 970 SLI setup in the vast majority of situations.

Which is why I typically don't buy a video card with a plan to SLI it in a few years. I just get a good current generation GPU when I feel like I need the upgrade.

Besides processing power newer generation GPUs usually have other advantages, specifically stuff like supporting the latest and greatest version of Direct X among other things. That support often makes a much bigger real world difference than raw power.

And SLI setups can be finicky. Not always supported by the program/game you're using. Even if supported sometimes not utilized efficiently.

As cool as a multi-GPU setup looks I'm a big fan of single GPU setups.

I know there are people out there who have triple 1080s (which would cost more than $1500 all by themselves) and get super awesome frame rates on super max settings at 4k. Good for them. If you want more than what a single highest-end GPU can do for you then SLI makes good sense. Your desires don't make really good sense, but I'm not judging. But to use SLI to make previous generation GPUs competitive with current generation GPUs isn't my favorite.

I have done SLI in the past because my PC and my kid's PC both started out with the same GPU and then I upgrade mine and pair my old one with the one in the other PC.

Also, if you already have a GPU and need more it is usually less expensive to by a second one of the same video card to get a little boost than going to the current generation of GPUs.

I agree that planning an SLI or crossfire as an upgrade option most often is a bad idea. By that point you might as well go with the current gen best single GPU solution.

I got my 970's, both of them, for just over 300 bucks from a friend who decided he wanted to go the 980 route at the time, so I jumped on that (it's been a while now, wow how the time flies), as at the time it replaced the 770 I had been running with. Mine are also the 4 GB OC versions. A single 1070 right now that could replace that would be about 400 on the low end and the performance bump would not be noticeable at all at this point. The aforementioned friend runs a rig now with a 1080 ti and mine can still hang in frame rate on lots of the games we play together, and even the ones he far outpaces me I am still getting 80+ frames. But again in bang for the buck I just can't justify upgrading or building a new rig to get from 80 fps to maybe 90 or 100, or even 110, when the difference is all but unnoticeable, and that is on my most demanding games. On my favorite stuff, basic first person shooters, I get well into the 100's fps. I have priced it out and to build a rig that will really replace mine at this point in time I would be well in excess of 2k, closer to 2500, at the minimum.

So I will hold out for now. Maybe in a couple of years or with the next step change in GPU and processor architecture I can justify it. Or just when I get the itch to build a new system I will go at it again.

I mean bang for the buck. To really replace my system and get a stronger performance that is truly noticeable I need to put out quite a bit more money than I did for my current setup.

This whole thread is in a different language to me. I have no idea wtf any of you are saying. It's sounds cool though.

Sent from my iPhone using JazzFanz