What's new

Show Us Your Gaming Rig

might get me a motherboard and ryzen cpu just to mess around with it. been intel pretty much the last few years. havent had amd in years

might get me a motherboard and ryzen cpu just to mess around with it. been intel pretty much the last few years. havent had amd in years

All my early builds were with AMD chips. My first Intel was only after I started working for Intel (IM Flash Technologies. An Intel and Micron joint venture).

But I have to say, my Intel builds were always trouble free. My AMD builds always had a hiccup. A bad one for me was a short in the computer case rest button. That's not AMD's fault.

I've never had a bad chip but I would occasionally get blue screens on one of my AMDs.

The computer I have now has been absolutely amazing. This is a 1st generation i7. It has been fun reading the reviews of the stuff I'm buying with people talking about their 3-4 generation old CPUs like they are dinosaurs. I'm getting a 7th gen processor to replace my 1st gen processor and I play most games in high and ultra high settings and stay at least between 30-60FPS. I expect more with my new system, and I'll have a larger (24" to 27") monitor with higher (1080p to 1440p) resolution. I hope I'm able to take advantage of my monitors higher (165Hz) refresh rate to some extent. But it almost feels too soon to upgrade.

Maybe I should have waited for the Zen processors. I guess I'll see. It'll be a double kick in the nuts if I really like what AMD does if they also have a good new generation of GPUs because I really liked the BenQ Freesync monitor I was looking at and if I was going AMD I'd get an ATI graphics card too.

Assembly has begun!

Wish I didn't have to go to work today.

So I'm doing good so far. My monitor is amazing. No dead pixels, back light bleed is pretty insignificant. HUGE compared to my old 24" monitor. The higher resolution is noticeable.

Have a lot of the new stuff assembled but will need to finish up tonight. Will post some pics soon.

All my early builds were with AMD chips. My first Intel was only after I started working for Intel (IM Flash Technologies. An Intel and Micron joint venture).

But I have to say, my Intel builds were always trouble free. My AMD builds always had a hiccup. A bad one for me was a short in the computer case rest button. That's not AMD's fault.

I've never had a bad chip but I would occasionally get blue screens on one of my AMDs.

The computer I have now has been absolutely amazing. This is a 1st generation i7. It has been fun reading the reviews of the stuff I'm buying with people talking about their 3-4 generation old CPUs like they are dinosaurs. I'm getting a 7th gen processor to replace my 1st gen processor and I play most games in high and ultra high settings and stay at least between 30-60FPS. I expect more with my new system, and I'll have a larger (24" to 27") monitor with higher (1080p to 1440p) resolution. I hope I'm able to take advantage of my monitors higher (165Hz) refresh rate to some extent. But it almost feels too soon to upgrade.

Maybe I should have waited for the Zen processors. I guess I'll see. It'll be a double kick in the nuts if I really like what AMD does if they also have a good new generation of GPUs because I really liked the BenQ Freesync monitor I was looking at and if I was going AMD I'd get an ATI graphics card too.

i had 3 intel cpus so far
q6600, i7 2600 and i7 3770k

to be honest the jump from 2600 to 3770 i did not notice unless i did some overclocking and cpu intensive stuff.
1st gen still rules they still cost a pretty penny on 2nd hand places here.

before these ui had amd only and cyrix in the 90's(or atleast i think it was called that)
i will just buy the mobo and see how it does as a 2nd desktop.

Ya, it's time Hantlers took a well deserved break from the forums. This dislike/neg abuse is annoying and disruptive.

I haven't forgotten about this thread. I have pictures! I just have some dinner to make and stuff. Will share when I get a minute.

Thermaltake Tower 900 build

This is during the build. The circle shows where the tiny 1TB NVMe SSD is.
DSC_0207_NVMe.jpg

Here it is in working form.
DSC_0208.jpg

Pretty good shot of the fancy RGB memory sticks. The software to control the lighting is due out this month. For now they just cycle through the entire spectrum.
DSC_0221.jpg

Front glass window removed for a better view.
DSC_0224.jpg

Side view
DSC_0226.jpg

Back view
DSC_0229.jpg

Even better view of the RAM
DSC_0232.jpg

Top view, not a great shot
DSC_0233.jpg

Back of case opened.
DSC_0235.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So my specs again:

Intel i5 7600K
Gigabyte Aorus Gaming 7 Z270 motherboard
Samsung Evo 960 NVMe SSD 1TB
G.Skill Trident-Z RGB 2400 XMP DDR4 32GB (4x8GB) RAM
Gigabyte G1 1070 Windforce GPU
ASUS ROG Strix 27" 1ms GTG, 165Hz, 2560x1440 (1440p 2K) G-Sync monitor
EVGA 850W PSU
CPU cooler Corsair H80i V2
Thermaltake Tower 900 computer case

Stock speed on CPU is 3.8GHz, overclocked to 5GHz like nothing. So now I want to see how far I can push this CPU, considering "delidding/relidding."

I don't have my colorful case fans yet. Might also throw in some LED strips.

I'm only so-so on the red on white. Might paint the white portion some other color. I think the case looks like it should have a skill crane in it. I'm looking for something to do with the open space at the bottom. Would consider action figures, sports figurines, a ship in a bottle, fish tank, whatever.