What's new

SI:Conley the pick for breakout star of post all-star

He did play off the bench. It did help the team. They moved him to the starting lineup anyway.
I thought Conley's first few games off the bench were not great, and that starting really worked better. Then the newer rotation where he joins the bench unit more than Mitchell also seemed to work better. Where are my stats geeks at?

Two thoughts:

A) One of the reasons that (those who say) we can't just run with numbers is that (beyond the small-sample size issue) players are not simply components in a mechanical system. They do function that way to some significant degree, to be sure, but they also have the capacity for learning and adjustment (in addition to all the other human capacities, like recovering from injury, etc.). This means that they are not bound to forever function within the system the same way they have in the past.

B) The opponent of the Jazz is not fixed. Matchups are a real thing. Things that work well against most teams (or better on average) may not work as well against certain other teams. The "chemistry" of a team does not exist in a vacuum but (esp. in a playoff series) is context dependent. It seems perhaps the safer bet for a team might perhaps be to create as many possibilities for positive chemistry as possible rather than go for broke with one or two.

I think our arguments are where the boundaries of these issues lie. At what point do we have enough data to say that significant adjustment is no longer possible? Is it still possible for parts of the team and Conley to adapt better with each other? (I'm guessing the coaches think this process has a longer time frame than many of us do). And what kind of capacities need to be developed for possible playoff scenarios? (How do we maximize our potential against both the Lakers and the Rockets, for example?)

Well said, even if you are an idiot.

The Conley scapegoating is real
He's been good... its not necessarily what he is doing recently... its just that of the various iterations of the starting lineup... the one we are rolling with is by far the worst. Some of that is small sample... some is when the schedule was tougher. But its a huge huge contrast and it honestly makes sense when you think about it. Its not his individual offensive play... its more about what Royce brings to that group and the adjustments that are made to accommodate Mike.

DM now can't be hidden on the worst perimeter guy or isn't guarding the smallest guy on the floor. Joe is now guarding the toughest assignment and doesn't have the ball as much... Joe is much better in pick and roll with Rudy than Mike is... so Rudy is affected.

He's played well... the data is pretty damning though that adjustments should be made. He is good and will help us if used the right way. I'd give it a little more time to make sure we have a good enough sample size to make a determination.

Mike out against San Antonio tomorrow, so that he can play Saturday against Houston... so we can get another sample here.

oh my ****ing god!! We’re already giving him a rest?? He’s been on vacation for a week in a half for hell sakes!!
It’s so he can play the back end of the back to back... so not really a “he needs a rest” thing at all.

He's been good... its not necessarily what he is doing recently... its just that of the various iterations of the starting lineup... the one we are rolling with is by far the worst. Some of that is small sample... some is when the schedule was tougher. But its a huge huge contrast and it honestly makes sense when you think about it. Its not his individual offensive play... its more about what Royce brings to that group and the adjustments that are made to accommodate Mike.

DM now can't be hidden on the worst perimeter guy or isn't guarding the smallest guy on the floor. Joe is now guarding the toughest assignment and doesn't have the ball as much... Joe is much better in pick and roll with Rudy than Mike is... so Rudy is affected.

He's played well... the data is pretty damning though that adjustments should be made. He is good and will help us if used the right way. I'd give it a little more time to make sure we have a good enough sample size to make a determination.

One thing that really seemed to help last games he played were he being the one getting his minutes alongside bench lineups, instead of Mitchell. Just can't understand why took so long to try it, as players fit much better.

Tougher question for me than he ir he's a starter or not (or if he belongs as a real contributor for our sucess, even if not as a starter), is if he should close games, and i'm not convinced he should.

Anyway, one point from last game we played (and beat) the Rockets, he (and Clarkson) were the guys consistently able to exploit and punish their "switch everything" defense. That's a posible matchup come playoff time, and a strategy other teams could throw at us (as we struggled at this recently, and some teams already did that on regular season)

It’s so he can play the back end of the back to back... so not really a “he needs a rest” thing at all.
He’s missed the equivalent of at least 3-4 games. I just hate how there seems to be more injuries during the load management era than during the 80’s and 90’s. And even when players were hurt they played through it. I understand the whole back to back thing it just pisses me off. Sometimes I think all this extra rest is a direct result in more injuries

SI must have seen the future, Mike put the ball in 12 of 14 fairways and landed 13 of 18 green shots. All that with a bad knee.

Good job Mikey.

So the guy can play golf but not basketball. Great. This is not only un****ing cool (ie, stupid) to post on his part but it’s ********. Golfing puts some fairly serious torque on one’s knees and the fact that he’s out there, ala Yoenis Cespedes, is ****ing nonsense.