What's new

Snyder to step down - Woj

Who started the press conference - Smith or Ainge? I came in when Quin was just getting started and he mentioned that Ainge had spoken.

Things I found interesting:
Ainge saying that they had desperately wanted to have Quin back.
Ainge saying that he would like to get Quin's advice on his replacement.
Quin saying he had given no thought to his future plans - I call bullcrap. There is no way he hasn't thought about it.
Quin making the joke about Rudy having the biggest footprint. Good deflection from having to answer the question about his own footprint on the team completely.
Quin's comment about spending next Halloween with his daughter. Sounded like he isn't planning to coach this year because how would he know that?

This was a "Thank you, Quin" parting press conference. It was for closure so that everyone could move on. It was civil, but it was clear that things are going to change now under the new ownership and for whatever reason Quin wasn't comfortable with it. Otherwise, there wasn't a whole lot of important content to it, imo.

I think Ainge is a competitive guy and a reasonably compulsive one at that. He's also far and away the most experienced person anywhere near the Jazz. I just don't know who in the organization he would think he needs to listen to. As long as he has ownership's support, I think he'll do his thing. The old regime is now packing up and leaving.

As much power and influence as Quin had, Ainge obviously didn't give Quin whatever it would take to make him want to stay here.
Maybe there wasn't anything that could make him stay. People forget that coaching in the NBA is stressful, many nights away from family. lots of travel and pressure. Quin had both of his hips replaced so he must have been in a lot of pain and now he has rehab to go through. Not too many coaches last 8 years on one team. Plus I think there is some truth that the team might have been tuning him out some. I wish Quin well and hope he takes a year off and recuperates and enjoys his family. I just think he is worn out from the lifestyle and pressure.

The difference is that Ainge is working with an involved owner in Utah vs non-involved owners in Boston.

A lot of us are just assuming that Ainge is the one calling the shots, but the reality is that Ainge might just be a puppet being used to give Ryan Smith's decisions legitimacy.

Ryan Smith is a neophyte who probably doesn't have any meaningful ideas of his own as it pertains to building a competitive basketball team. I mean, he may have played wardball at some point... The less Ryan gets involved and the less he tries to dictate, the more successful he's going to be.

Just watching the press conference. Danny Ainge says he really wanted Snyder to stay but I couldn't help but watch his demeanor. So either..
A. He has a massive amount of experience and has huge "its a business" balls
B. He has some subconscious excitement about starting his tenure here with a fresh coaching staff.

Maybe both

I think Ainge and Smith are the bad news bears for the Jazz.

Donovan has gotta be gone too.

Ain't no 7'6" car wash staff to turn to now. No dizzy freaky nervy point guard who can pass lightning, no Statue of Golaith who can catch and dunk.

We'll miss the playoffs, even kiddie wader playoffs.

I do think they need a black head coach... all things equal. Its a largely African American league... and our market is very white... having a black coach would likely help guys feel more comfortable.

I don't think its to appear woke or whatevs... but simply finding a guy that relates to the players life experience and helping them navigate a unique environment.
I just want the best coach, though out of all the names I've seen it's Adrian Griffin who kind of intrigues me the most, so if you can get a guy who is good (apparently he's a defensive minded guy, which I like) and can help the players relate, that kills two birds with one stone there.

This was a "Thank you, Quin" parting press conference. It was for closure so that everyone could move on. It was civil, but it was clear that things are going to change now under the new ownership and for whatever reason Quin wasn't comfortable with it. Otherwise, there wasn't a whole lot of important content to it, imo.
Yep. It was a class organization doing a class act. Most other organizations would have just posted something on social media for a coach who left without any major accomplishment.

I like that Ryan Smith took the high road. We should be applauding his move here.

Sent from my SM-A516U using JazzFanz mobile app

Just watching the press conference. Danny Ainge says he really wanted Snyder to stay but I couldn't help but watch his demeanor. So either..
A. He has a massive amount of experience and has huge "its a business" balls
B. He has some subconscious excitement about starting his tenure here with a fresh coaching staff.

Maybe both
I agree. Ainge looked borderline excited to have a voice. Like retirement is over.

Based off what everybody said, my guess is that Ainge said Rudy is going to be traded, Quin didn't want to stay long term anyway, and without Rudy Quin said I'll step away early.

I just want the best coach, though out of all the names I've seen it's Adrian Griffin who kind of intrigues me the most, so if you can get a guy who is good (apparently he's a defensive minded guy, which I like) and can help the players relate, that kills two birds with one stone there.

So AJ Griffin, the likely lottery pick this year, is Adrian Griffin's son. I didn't know that.

Fizdale is a horrible coach. I would hate it if we chose him. He made a career out of being buddy-buddy with LeBron and Wade. He's failed everywhere he's gone.

I definitely prefer Johnnie Bryant to him ...

Luke Walton lite....

The Utah Jazz hve, historically, been methodical. Some kind of playbook coach who runs things by the numbers. Rare that we get creative players who see the floor and can improvise, and still rarer that our fcoaches let them do that if they can.

I'd have to buy the Jazz to have my way, I'm sure. My brother has been claiming for years that Snyder is as stupid as cold tar. My brother was one of those creative spirits, and it was fun to watch him play.

I relied on my flat feet and my 3-point shot. He'd blow past me for the dunk, but I made him come out to block. Close was a good day.

I was at the sports medicine pro place today to check on my sprained wrist. I'll be good in a couple of weeks. Out shooting on the home court.

In my dreams, we'd get Jason Kidd and a couple of future Donovans and a new Center for offensive rebound dunks.

It's not hard to see what happened.

Quin was done with the Jazz. He saw his ceiling here and knew he'd never get out of the second round. Quin's a smart dude and remaining with the franchise would only prolong the inevitable, especially if they were going to blow it up in a couple years - if not sooner. Quin also was on borrowed time. If it was any other franchise besides Utah, he's likely fired for the quick exits the Jazz have experienced the last three years. He peaked in 2018 and has struggled attaining that level of success. If it didn't happen in year eight, it wasn't going to happen in year nine.

The fact is, by the end of Sloan's eighth season, he had already guided the Jazz to three trips to the Western Conference Finals, including a thrilling seven-game series where the Jazz lost a seventh-game heartbreaker in Seattle.

It was clear, after the 1996 season, Sloan's eighth (really seventh full season with the Jazz) that the franchise was trending up.

There is no clarity this year. Quin had stagnated and become a coach more known for his late-game, and overall series collapses.

The only thing saving him, again, was the fact he coached Utah. Not only are they loyal (maybe even to a fault), the national media looks at the results and thinks that this is literally the best the franchise can do. So, the fact Quin was able to have relatively solid regular season success and a couple seasons of making some marginal noise in the playoffs, it was an impressive run. To the national media, even getting Utah out of the first-round, or keeping them competitive in the first-round, was a monumental achievement and because of that, his stock grew more and more nationally - even if, locally, you could tell it was woefully over inflated.

I think Quin realized that. I think he realized there was nowhere to go but down. The franchise peaked and the next few years were going to undo the perception he had in the national media and likely could cost him a better gig in a better city, with an easier chance to grab better talent than in little ol' Utah.

He wants the Spurs job. He returns to Utah and next year is a ****-show, there's the possibility they aren't so sure to go with him anymore.

So, resign, sit a year out unscathed, have everyone singing your praises instead of looking at the faults (and there are many) so when Pop retires, you're the most attractive candidate.

After all, he took those lowly Jazz to the NBA's best record in 2021!

And sure - he blew a 3-1 series lead vs Denver the year prior, despite his team leading by 15 points late into the third quarter of a closeout game ... but it's Utah!

And yeah, his Jazz did **** all with that #1 seed in 2021, blowing a 2-0 series lead to a Clippers team without its best player ... but holy **** it's Utah.

And right, he failed to take advantage of Dallas being without its best player for the first four (or was it five?) games of their first-round series in 2022, and lost after leading 1-0 (including twice in Salt Lake City) but AGAIN, it's Utah. You can't expect anything better than that there.

Quin pulled the plug before his flaws ultimately wrecked his chances elsewhere.

I guess that's one thing he learned from his Mizzou days.

The Utah Jazz hve, historically, been methodical. Some kind of playbook coach who runs things by the numbers. Rare that we get creative players who see the floor and can improvise, and still rarer that our fcoaches let them do that if they can.

I'd have to buy the Jazz to have my way, I'm sure. My brother has been claiming for years that Snyder is as stupid as cold tar. My brother was one of those creative spirits, and it was fun to watch him play.

I relied on my flat feet and my 3-point shot. He'd blow past me for the dunk, but I made him come out to block. Close was a good day.

I was at the sports medicine pro place today to check on my sprained wrist. I'll be good in a couple of weeks. Out shooting on the home court.

In my dreams, we'd get Jason Kidd and a couple of future Donovans and a new Center for offensive rebound dunks.
I couldn't agree more. Or, disagree more. I dunno.

I agree. Ainge looked borderline excited to have a voice. Like retirement is over.

Based off what everybody said, my guess is that Ainge said Rudy is going to be traded, Quin didn't want to stay long term anyway, and without Rudy Quin said I'll step away early.

Ya you could also speculate that at least a few guys don’t want to be back if Don is coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quin saying jazz need a new voice could mean he lost the locker room. I don't think hell step down because of Royce or bogey or Conley. this smells like he lost one of the big guns. It's either Rudy or dm or both. I could be wrong tho

The most important in the choice is to get a coach who is able to show he is the boss. Too many stories ( real or not) with Don and Rudy. The 2 guys have to grow up and make it work together. or go. I do think they will have one more year to make a try, not more.

Quin was done with the Jazz. He saw his ceiling here and knew he'd never get out of the second round. Quin's a smart dude and remaining with the franchise would only prolong the inevitable, especially if they were going to blow it up in a couple years - if not sooner. Quin also was on borrowed time. If it was any other franchise besides Utah, he's likely fired for the quick exits the Jazz have experienced the last three years. He peaked in 2018 and has struggled attaining that level of success. If it didn't happen in year eight, it wasn't going to happen in year nine.

The fact is, by the end of Sloan's eighth season, he had already guided the Jazz to three trips to the Western Conference Finals, including a thrilling seven-game series where the Jazz lost a seventh-game heartbreaker in Seattle.

It was clear, after the 1996 season, Sloan's eighth (really seventh full season with the Jazz) that the franchise was trending up.

There is no clarity this year. Quin had stagnated and become a coach more known for his late-game, and overall series collapses.

The only thing saving him, again, was the fact he coached Utah. Not only are they loyal (maybe even to a fault), the national media looks at the results and thinks that this is literally the best the franchise can do. So, the fact Quin was able to have relatively solid regular season success and a couple seasons of making some marginal noise in the playoffs, it was an impressive run. To the national media, even getting Utah out of the first-round, or keeping them competitive in the first-round, was a monumental achievement and because of that, his stock grew more and more nationally - even if, locally, you could tell it was woefully over inflated.

I think Quin realized that. I think he realized there was nowhere to go but down. The franchise peaked and the next few years were going to undo the perception he had in the national media and likely could cost him a better gig in a better city, with an easier chance to grab better talent than in little ol' Utah.

He wants the Spurs job. He returns to Utah and next year is a ****-show, there's the possibility they aren't so sure to go with him anymore.

So, resign, sit a year out unscathed, have everyone singing your praises instead of looking at the faults (and there are many) so when Pop retires, you're the most attractive candidate.

And sure - he blew a 3-1 series lead vs Denver the year prior, despite his team leading by 15 points late into the third quarter of a closeout game ... but it's Utah!

And yeah, his Jazz did **** all with that #1 seed in 2021, blowing a 2-0 series lead to a Clippers team without its best player ... but holy **** it's Utah.

And right, he failed to take advantage of Dallas being without its best player for the first four (or was it five?) games of their first-round series in 2022, and lost after leading 1-0 (including twice in Salt Lake City) but AGAIN, it's Utah. You can't expect anything better than that there.

Nice synopsis and analysis. Theory rings true.
Doncic back for game four in Utah by my recollection.

This is 100% correct in my opinion.

I totally agree with that too. The best for him is to take one year off and move to Spurs. Next year may be now or never for the Jazz .