What's new

So...are any of the new players good?

Trading the best defensive big the NBA has had since Olajawon and getting back at best a 6th man.
No these players aren't "good". Not 1 quality starter.
The Jazz went from top 5 to bottom 5 and people are excited.
The picks are a gamble, based on the youth of this team the best the Jazz can hope for is 4+ years from now the Timberwolves suck.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Ya but this is you we are talking about. If the jazz traded Gobert for prime hakeem and jordan you would find something to be unhappy about. You are always glass half empty.

Vanderbilt will be a fan favorite.

I can almost guarantee the key pieces of the deal for Utah were McDaniels and Vanderbilt. I imagine Ainge wanted both, but he had to have at least one or the deal wouldn’t get done. He got Vanderbilt and when Minny said he couldn’t also have JM, Ainge made them throw in another pick.

Vanderbilt might have the best motor in the league. He’s everywhere and never stops moving. Always in the passing lanes, helping on D, crashing the offensive glass, taking charges, getting deflections, moving without the ball, running the floor, etc, and he can adequately defend all five positions. Just a badass.

Can’t shoot for ****, but he can handle the ball and is a good passer. It’s cliche, but he’s the ultimate high motor guy that can impact the game without scoring.
Not sure if anyone else has said this but it seems like you just described andre kirilenko. Would be awesome if vanderbilt could be anything near AK.

Well thats high praise. How is this vanderbilt dude?
High energy, decent Andrés and good passer. He’s an elite rebounder. Got three offensive rebounds a game last year averaged just over 8 rebounds a game in 25 minutes per. Can guard 1-5 some gets lots of deflections. He does a lot of the same things Pistons era Rodman did, and some of the same skill set as AK

Vanderbilt was in a perfect situation for his skillset.

He's not a starter on most teams. He's a solid bench player.

Same with Beverly.

Same likely with Kessler.

Same likely with Bolmaro (though he has the most potential IMO).
Vanderbilt IS a starter on most teams. A guy who can switch effectively from 1 to 5 and take on your toughest defensive assignment (i.e. Durant, Giannis, etc) is highly coveted in today's NBA. Even if he's a total negative offensively, which isn't the case for Vanderbilt.

Vanderbilt IS a starter on most teams. A guy who can switch effectively from 1 to 5 and take on your toughest defensive assignment (i.e. Durant, Giannis, etc) is highly coveted in today's NBA. Even if he's a total negative offensively, which isn't the case for Vanderbilt.
He is not.

This trade made me realize just how bad our non-rotation players are/were. Suddenly the Jazz have depth. Who knew?

Hey guys, Trembling Timberpuppy fan here and I can give you the skinny.

We all know who Pat Beverly Is so I won't waste your time there

Vanderbilt is a good piece but he's a limited role player and probably always will be. He's great on the offensive glass and can defend any position which will always make him useful. However he's got hands of stone. His offense comes on dunks and put backs at the basket. From anywhere further than about 5 feet he's almost useless offensively. He's also not a shot blocker. He can be paired in the starting lineup with a center that shoots which puts him pretty much at the basket so that can be mitigated, but the problem with that is oftentimes teams just switched the center onto Vando and the power forward onto KAT which made Vandos defensive rebounding highly suspect as he's not girthy enough to block out centers. He does however play as hard as anyone in the league and will become a fan favorite for that if nothing else. He's a decent passer as well. I saw some comparisons here to AK47 which I hate to burst that bubble but that's just not in the realm of possibility. He has none of the offensive upside to become anything like AK. Doesn't make him a bad player, it just is what it is

Beasley's your standard inefficient chucker. He can shoot you into or out of any game on any given night but offers almost nothing else. Still shooting of the bench is always valuable, especially at the deadline on a team control contract that can be voided after this year.

Kessler I like a lot better in your situation than ours. Here I didn't see any path to anything more than a backup center that we wouldn't have minutes for when his defensive and rebounding ability were really needed. In Utah however you guys can just throw him out there 25-30 minutes a game and watch him develop.

Bolmaro looked absolutely lost in any playing time he got last year. That could be the rookie, especially rookie foreigner, adjustment period but I saw nothing that would make me think he's still playing in the league in 3 years. But I've been wrong before.

Hey guys, Trembling Timberpuppy fan here and I can give you the skinny.

We all know who Pat Beverly Is so I won't waste your time there

Vanderbilt is a good piece but he's a limited role player and probably always will be. He's great on the offensive glass and can defend any position which will always make him useful. However he's got hands of stone. His offense comes on dunks and put backs at the basket. From anywhere further than about 5 feet he's almost useless offensively. He's also not a shot blocker. He can be paired in the starting lineup with a center that shoots which puts him pretty much at the basket so that can be mitigated, but the problem with that is oftentimes teams just switched the center onto Vando and the power forward onto KAT which made Vandos defensive rebounding highly suspect as he's not girthy enough to block out centers. He does however play as hard as anyone in the league and will become a fan favorite for that if nothing else. He's a decent passer as well. I saw some comparisons here to AK47 which I hate to burst that bubble but that's just not in the realm of possibility. He has none of the offensive upside to become anything like AK. Doesn't make him a bad player, it just is what it is

Beasley's your standard inefficient chucker. He can shoot you into or out of any game on any given night but offers almost nothing else. Still shooting of the bench is always valuable, especially at the deadline on a team control contract that can be voided after this year.

Kessler I like a lot better in your situation than ours. Here I didn't see any path to anything more than a backup center that we wouldn't have minutes for when his defensive and rebounding ability were really needed. In Utah however you guys can just throw him out there 25-30 minutes a game and watch him develop.

Bolmaro looked absolutely lost in any playing time he got last year. That could be the rookie, especially rookie foreigner, adjustment period but I saw nothing that would make me think he's still playing in the league in 3 years. But I've been wrong before.
Good info and good post. Thank you

I want to keep Beverley and JV. Heck, I've wanted Beverley for years - he's similar to what George Hill offered (Hill was a solid player for us when he wasn't injured).

I hope we trade Beasley. I know nothing about the other guys.

Ya but this is you we are talking about. If the jazz traded Gobert for prime hakeem and jordan you would find something to be unhappy about. You are always glass half empty.
Was Dream really that good? I don’t remember him shooting 3s. Nor do I remember him guarding Steph curry on an island. Feels a bit overrated. Only two chips? Hmmm, not even 6? Not great. Checkmate Fish

PS Dream was easily the best center of my lifetime. He was big, he was agile, he had a motor, he could score from anywhere, and could defend anything. There’s a reason why people compare Embiid to Dream. A healthy Embiid can do it all, just like Dream (although not nearly as good as Dream since Embiid isn’t in the Hall).

Shaq was the most offensively dominant center of my lifetime. He was a walking bucket that physically exhausted defenders. Teams would intentionally foul him throughout the 2nd half where he’d shoot 50 % because they felt even that giving up at least 1 pt per possession was still better than him potentially scoring inside or breaking a defense with his passing.

Last edited:
Bolmaro is interesting as a wing-sized guard with some tenacity and switchability on defense, plus ability to facilitate on offense. The key for him is his shooting. He's like a frenetic, less-skilled Ricky Rubio.

Walker Kessler could turn out something like Jakob Poeltl with quick enough feet to not get completely burned in space. He's got good hands, good feet and good mobility for someone that size. Needs to add strength and polish to his moves. Would be great if Alex Jensen could work with him.

Vanderbilt is like Stacey Augmon if anyone remembers who he is. He's a solid defender and tenacious rebounder who hasn't shown any ability to shoot. He can do Brandon Clarke stuff--e.g., offensive rebounds and put-backs.

Beasley is a catch-and-shoot guy mostly, but can score a bit in other ways.

Last edited: